In this Discussion

6.5.05 Vancouver Show

edited November -1 in OK Go

Comments

• Well, I didn't go to this show, but I agree with the lighters. I do love Vancouver. Or did the one time I visited. Would like to move there.

Other bands I know say that Vancouver shows stink - they get like 10% of the turnout they get in other cities. Granted, none of them are hometown bands, so maybe that makes a difference, but was anyone here at this show? What's the deal with that? How many people showed up?
  • The Kaiser Chiefs / OKGO / The Caesars Vancouver show was one of the best I've ever been to at the Commadore, though the bad part about going to a no minors show is that people throw glass bottles. Alas, it can't be helped. It was pretty crowded to me, not as crowded as it could have been, but I thought it was a good turn out.
  • Let me start off by saying the show was SO FREAKIN RAD!!!!!! Seriously guys biggrin.gif But what was I to expect??? This was my first OkGo concert and I was truly the screaming sissy boy that I expected to be tongue.gif Right at the front of the stage, in front of Andy's keyboards specifically. I wussed out and didnt wear the I "heart" Dan shirt, and wore my orange tiger shirt instead. Tim is biigger than I thought, Damian - skinnier tongue.gif , Andy - looks like hes 16, in the nicest way possible, and Dan, SO DAMN HOT!!!

Set List:
    Don't Ask Me
    No Sign
    Oh No (?)
    You're So Damn Hot
    Disaster
    Good Idea
    Invincible
    Get Over It
    Do What You Want
    A Million Ways (bloody brilliant, although I dont think many people 'got it' )

I feel I should explain why perhaps the Canadian crowds arent as big or as perhaps excited about some bands arriving in their cities...
    Think about how hard it is for you guys in the States to get your local radio station to play OkGo,
    All radio, everywhere, is saturated by top 40, American Idol type crap. Here in good ol Canada, there is this little law called "CanCon", or Candian content. Under this law all Canadian broadcasters are required by law to play 30% Canadian content. This content can totally suck, but if its Canadian it'll play, wether it be the latest stomach churning ballad by Bryan Adams, or the wailing of Alanis Moist Towellete its on our radios. When you phone to request bands such as OkGo that perhaps the DJ has not heard of you dont get a "maybe" or "we'll try" they literally laugh at you and say good luck. Because not only do they have to play the same garbage you poor souls listen to, they also have to play the Canadian version as well, leaving no time for emerging artists, be they Canadian, American, or anything. So these bands sorta depend on wierdos like myself, the super fans, that we'll spread the "gospel" to as many people as possible, and trust me, I have. And by putting on the AMAZING shows like they did last nite. It will happen... these boys are that great..... I believe this, unfortunately, its going to take longer here than in the US. I hope the lack of turnout dosent discourage them from returning.......
  • Falknerd, I am so incredibly happy that you had a great time! And don't worry about not wearing the t-shirt.. I didn't have time to make one before the shows I went to either. One day I hope to make them and send them out to everyone, so the Dan love can be spread around!

By the way, I love how you described the guys.. I totally agree!
  • Andy is such a little boy...it's adorable.
  • QUOTE (Falknerd @ Jun 6 2005, 11:35 PM)
    I feel I should explain why perhaps the Canadian crowds arent as big or as perhaps excited about some bands arriving in their cities...

See, that all makes sense, but I was asking about Vancouver in particular. Even taking into account that American bands don't do as well in Canada, my bands will play for 300-500 people in Montreal, Toronto, etc, and then 30 people show up in Vancouver. So I was wondering more what accounts for the discrepancy within Canada. Is the music scene different in Vancouver? Is it just an east/west thing?

Still, like I said, I loved Vancouver the one time I visited, so I don't hold it against them/you!