In this Discussion

The 5 Songs You're Obsessed With Right Now

edited November -1 in General Discussion
The title says it all. Post about the 5 (or however many, really) songs you can't stop listening to right this second. Tell us about them, why they're so awesome, and feel free to share (if you're cool with that and all).

Me first!

1) "Mama's Room" - Under the Influence of Giants
Here I am again/React without a plan/But there's something missing,/There's something missing here
(I'd post it for downloading, but I got it from an iTunes download, so I'm 99% sure it won't work for y'all. You can stream it here.)

I got this song in a 25 free song sampler from iTunes and Facebook, and man, I cannot stop listening to it. It's pretty groovy (as in, you can groove to it, haha), and you gotta' love the cheeky "Making love in Mama's room..." refrain.

2) "Looks, Looks, Look" - Sparks
It's gonna' be all right/If it ain't, don't blame me,/It's your looks

I was going to see these guys last night, and I missed out. sad.gif *sad* This song makes me want to do a silly jazz-infused belly dance routine.

3) "That August Feeling" - Absent
Now and then it takes me some convincing/That the best is still to come/Now I've heard all the cliches/Live for today and you've got to hold on...

Ever listen to a song and think, "OMG that's EXACTLY how I'm feeling RIGHT NOW!!! How'd they do that??" Yeah, that's this song for me right now. I've listened to it about a million times on repeat. I really love Darren's (is it Darren?? I forget, I'll have to ask...) voice. Also, I've never listened so closely a drum part in my life.

4) "Expo '86" - Death Cab for Cutie
I am waiting for something to go wrong/I am waiting for familiar resolve/I am waiting for another repeat/Another diet fed by crippling defeat
(I didn't bother putting up the MySpace link, everyone knows where to find them...)

Another "This is how I'm feeling right now" song. There's just this little doubtful voice in my head that won't shut up right now.

5) "Lipstick Lickin'" - Milburn
But the thoughts of you in my mind knows I'm never gonna go wrong/Cause you and me both, we're singing the same song

LOVE. THIS. SONG. I just want to hit the dancefloor every time I hear it. Thanks to Pandy for sending me the demo version, which is a little bit dirtier and grittier in its production quality. Lovely.

Comments

• 1) "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap
    2) "Miss Murray" by Timid Tiger
    3) "Good Weekend" and "Modern Art" by Art Brut (same artist, it counts as one)
    4)"Nice Day" by Persephone's Bees
    5)"Before We Begin" by Broadcast
  • 1. I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You) by John Mayer

2. Hold On (demo) by Michael Tolcher [link]www.myspace.com/michaeltolcher[/link]

3. Glass by Gavin DeGraw [link]

4. Song For a Friend by Jason Mraz [link]

5. Indiana by Jon McLaughlin [link]http://www.myspace.com/jonmclaughlin[/link]

Haha I don't know how to link things. sad.gif
  • Karleigh,
    for shame, no MC??
    I guess I'll have to say it...

1) Change Gotta Come-The X-Teens
    2) I Was Never Young-Of Montreal
    3) The Artificials-Manager's Choice (seriously, check them out. I have to promote them smile.gif
    4) I Don't Feel Like Dancing-Scissor Sisters
    5) Crash the Party-OKGO (but only because I'm working on a cover of it so I have to listen to it repeatedly, and of course I like it, too)
  • QUOTE (Penelope @ Sep 28 2006, 05:17 PM)
    Karleigh,
    for shame, no MC??
    I guess I'll have to say it...

1) Change Gotta Come-The X-Teens
    2) I Was Never Young-Of Montreal
    3) The Artificials-Manager's Choice (seriously, check them out. I have to promote them smile.gif
    4) I Don't Feel Like Dancing-Scissor Sisters
    5) Crash the Party-OKGO (but only because I'm working on a cover of it so I have to listen to it repeatedly, and of course I like it, too)

I feel bad, but I do have their CD on my playlist, so it's OK.

How's the cover coming?
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Sep 28 2006, 09:32 PM)
    I feel bad, but I do have their CD on my playlist, so it's OK.

How's the cover coming?

Aww, I was just teasing. Hopefully they 'll get some new recordings soon, I'd be sick of those four songs....
    The cover is coming along. The music is really cool, but of course I hate how my vocals sound. I'd probably never like them, and it's always weird to have a female voice covering a song that you're used to hearing sung by a male. We'll see how it winds up.
    Are you still planning on doing a video to it over break? It sounded really coolio.
  • QUOTE (Penelope @ Sep 28 2006, 05:50 PM)
    Aww, I was just teasing. Hopefully they 'll get some new recordings soon, I'd be sick of those four songs....
    The cover is coming along. The music is really cool, but of course I hate how my vocals sound. I'd probably never like them, and it's always weird to have a female voice covering a song that you're used to hearing sung by a male. We'll see how it winds up.
    Are you still planning on doing a video to it over break? It sounded really coolio.

I hope to, but I'm going to have scrounge for people. But hey, I still have 3 months.
  • I do at least two hours on the treadmill every day, so I listen to entire albums rather than songs.

So. Top 5 Albums I can't not listen to everyday.

1. Rent Musical (Usually the movie version, sometimes the Broadway version).
    2. Atom and His Package.
    3. AntiFlag/Pink Spiders Comp.
    4. newest Strokes album.
    5. Kings of Convenience.

k. bye.
  • This is my mood for tonight. Tomorrow, the list could (and would) be very different.
    In no particular order:
    1. I Like Giants- Kimya Dawson
    2. Matilda- Tacks, the Boy Disaster
    3. Emma Blowgun's Last Stand- Beulah (ok, I'm not "obsessed" with it, but for some reason or another, I've been listening to it a lot. It must have some good quality then, eh?)
    4. Mandy- the Spinto Band
    5. Ghost of Steven Foster- Squirrel Nut Zippers
  • 1) Upside Down - Jack Johnson
    2) SexyBack - Justin Timberlake...yes, it is an awesome song after you listen to it 5 times or so
    3) Waiting for the World to Change - John Mayer
    4) Come Out Clean - Jump, Little Children

I can't think of a 5th one right now...
  • QUOTE (yoshixc @ Sep 29 2006, 02:36 PM)
    2) SexyBack - Justin Timberlake...yes, it is an awesome song after you listen to it 5 times or so

JT fucking loves OK Go, so that's cool.

You people are boring. Tell me whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy you're obsessed with these songs.

Also, the links on the song titles in my post are download links......in case nobody noticed..... mellow.gif
  • Alright, today's list (w/ explaination to appease teh Katy):
    1. Harder to Ignore- the Features
    They are loud and boisterous and, though the lead singer's voice is occasionally grating, I put it on when I'm alone in the elevator and dance like a maniac
    2. Matilda- Tacks, the Boy Disaster
    It's quiet and understated and a really unknown band (thank you Myspace). Something about the quietness of his voice and the name "Matilda" repeated just calms me.
    3. Martin- Monkey Swallows the Universe
    I usually don't like female lead singers (nothing sexist. They're JUST AS TALENTED. I just prefer male lead singers. I don't know why), but the lead singer of MStU is wonderful. Again, it's kind of understated music, but I listened to it on repeat while driving around my town with the windows down before I left for Canada.
    4. Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, and Wives- Voxtrot
    The music changes and swirls and does eveything that beautiful music should do.
    5. Future, Wouldn't That Be Nice- the Books
    The Books really transcend most music genres. They take all this sound that's literally just lying around and bring it together to make art. It's a subtle combination of sounds and changes with just the underlying beat. I especially like this song because, unlike Thought for Food, it's not purely instrumental (Nick does some vocals), yet it's not as constructed as Lost and Safe stuff. Also, I love the people speaking french early on. From what I can tell, the conversation goes as such:
    "C'est terrible" (it's terrible)
    "Est-ce que..." (is it...)
    "Est-ce que quoi?" (is it what?)
    "Est-ce que c'est comme ca? Comme tu vois. C'est une histoire" (is it that it's like this? As you'll see. It's a story)
    Simply gorgeous.
  • I'll post one song at a Time... as i'm usually obsessed with one song at a time.

"one more night" stars

http://split.org/random/Set%20Yourself%20O...ore%20Night.mp3
  • 1.Welcome To The Black Parade- My Chemical Romance, i've been basically listening on repeat since last night.

2. End of Fashion - the entire album, I hadn't listened to it in months and it's just as good as the first time i listened.

3. I Can't Bend To Yours -The Jakes, cute myspace band w/ a really cute song.

4. Jesse By Nothing, Go to Prom Anyway- Hellogoodbye, steeling myself for homecoming?

5.[b] Little Razorblade{/b}- The Pink Spiders, basically I've been addicted to Teen Graffiti but this one is my favorite.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Sep 28 2006, 02:07 PM)
    4)"Nice Day" by Persephone's Bees

I like that song! If anyone were to make a movie about my life, I'd like that song in there.

Mine:

1. Too Good to Be - New Found Glory
    You have my heart in your hands / You have my heart so don't let it go / Check my pressure / Patch me right up / You're too good to be... Who doesn't love a clap track? It makes me want to clap along and maybe prance through a field of sunflowers.

2. Earthquakes and Sharks - Brandtson
    Earthquakes and sharks to start us off,
    If Chupacabras ain't enough,
    Black widow spiders and killer bees,
    Ain't no shade and ain't no trees.
    hot desert heat, polluted air,
    There's traffic jams beyond compare.
    That's all I got to warn ya bout Mexico and California.

Ah, my hometown. It's a love-hate relationship.
  • QUOTE (the_bree @ Sep 29 2006, 11:00 PM)
    2. Earthquakes and Sharks - Brandtson
    Earthquakes and sharks to start us off,
    If Chupacabras ain't enough,
    Black widow spiders and killer bees,
    Ain't no shade and ain't no trees.
    hot desert heat, polluted air,
    There's traffic jams beyond compare.
    That's all I got to warn ya bout Mexico and California.

Oh my lord I love that song. I began listening to it, didn't really appreciate it, listened to the lyrics, and laughed my ass off. <3
  • Hmm, my top 5 songs at the moment really reflect how I feel, hmm.

The first two tie as my favourite at the moment

She Falls Asleep Part II by McFLY
    She falls asleep and all she thinks about is you
    She falls asleep and all she dreams about is you
    When she's asleep the air she's breathing is for you
    Are why she wants to live
    She's not got that much more to give

All About You by McFLY
    Yesterday, you asked me something I thought you knew.
    So I told you with a smile 'It's all about you'
    Then you whispered in my ear and you told me too,
    Say 'If you make my life worthwhile, it's all about you'

Obviously by McFLY
    'Cause obviously,
    She's out of my league
    But how can I win
    She keeps draggin' me in and
    I know I never will be good enough for her.

Memory Lane by... you guessed it, McFLY!
    Memory Lane,
    We're here again,
    Back to the days,
    And I'll remember you always,
    So much has changed,
    Now it feels like yesterday I went away.

Trapped In The Drive Thru by "Weird Al" Yankovic (His latest album came out over here today, I got it biggrin.gif)
    I said "You always get a cheeseburger!"
    She says "That's not what I'm hungry for."
    I put my head in my hands and screamed,
    "I don't know who you are anymore!"

Yeah, I feel so horrible at the moment
  • Okay, here are my five songs, and most of the reasons why I like them are because they're catchy.

1. shimmy shimmy Quarter Turn-Hellogoodbye
    Really catchy, the videos quite funny

2. A decade under the influence-Taking Back Sunday
    Also really catchy, I love taking back sunday

3.Speak Slow-Tegan and Sara
    Tegan and sara are really amazing, this is one of the songs I listen to the most by them right now

4.Theres a class for this-Cute Is What We Aim For
    I love this song, I love CIWWAF also, cool lyrics

5.Die young, get free drinks-...Fire!
    best myspace band.
    ever.
    I love them
    http://www.myspace.com/firetheband
  • Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
    The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls
    Stopping The Love - KT Tunstall

I lose, and I can't think of five. Which is weird for me, considering how much I listen to music. But whatever.
  • 1. Reading in Bed - Emily Haines
    2. What goes on - The Velvet Underground

For some reason I can't think of three others.
  • 1. "The Zookeeper's Boy" - MEW wub.gif
    Mew is from Denmark, and I think this track is the most magnificent from the new album And The Glass Handed Kites. Mew's songs have a magical, dreamy but also kinda dark, nightmarish quality. And I love the vocals! I can't get enough of this song right now because of it's magical sound, impressive vocals, and lovely lyrics.

2. "Stuntman" - KASABIAN
    Who doesn't like British, electronic rock? And this is the so cool dance track of the new album Empire.

3. "Love You To Death" + "The Collapse" - KILL HANNAH
    Tracks #5 and #6 on their new album Until There's Nothing Left Of Us--I have to hear these back-to-back! And don't tell me you don't know the hotness of Kill Hannah by now.

4. "Don't Cry Out" - Shiny Toy Guns
    Electro-pop/Electro-rock with male and female lead vocals. This one is also easily a dance track.

5. "No Fear" - The Rasmus
    This is rather catchy and the first single from this cool Finnish alt/rock band with goth tones.

PS: Just click on the links and enjoy for yourself! smile.gif