In this Discussion

Time signature for "Let It Rain"

edited November -1 in OK Go
Okay you music savants out there, I needs sum help.

One of the many things I love about OK Go is the tempo and time signature transitions they use in their tunes (syncopation, accents on the up beat, etc.). I am for the life of me confounded by "Let It Rain" - it seems to start out in 3/4 time (very rare and cool for rock/pop) but that tempo doesn't hold through the entire song - sounds like some 6/8 or 5/4 transitions might be nested in there.

HELP! I wanna be able to tap my foot properly to da beat!

Comments

• I think I'm crazy, but it sounds like 13/4 time in the beginning... so its 4-3-3-3........ at least that makes sense to me. And I stopped thinking during the chorus, and gave up.
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Oct 6 2006, 02:38 PM)
    I think I'm crazy, but it sounds like 13/4 time in the beginning... so its 4-3-3-3........ at least that makes sense to me. And I stopped thinking during the chorus, and gave up.

Yee-gads. Well, that explains why I look like I'm in the throes of a full-blown leg spasm attack as I try to tap along...
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Oct 6 2006, 02:38 PM)
    I think I'm crazy, but it sounds like 13/4 time in the beginning... so its 4-3-3-3........ at least that makes sense to me. And I stopped thinking during the chorus, and gave up.

that seems about right. and when it gets to the "let it rain, let it pour" part, it switches over to 3/4.

that's what it feels like anyway. which is CRAZY. 13/4. geez... haha
  • I third that 13/4 statement. It definitely sounds like 4-3-3-3 during the verses and such.

and yes, I also agree w/ the straightforward 3/4 during the chorus.

I never actually thought about that, but its pretty crazy. I've never heard anyone use 13/4 time before.

I could ask my music teacher, if you really want a "professional" opinion, but I think we've got it right. Then again, I might ask him anyways to distract him... huh.