In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• Has anyone seen Marie Antionette or Running With Scissors yet? I don't want to pay to see them if they suck.
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Oct 27 2006, 10:27 PM)
    Joyuex Noel is my favorite french film.

Guillame Canet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(He's in that, right?? I'm not just making that up?? I need to watch more French films.)

Speaking of French films, anyone ever see 8 Femmes? Love it and haven't seen it in ages.
  • There's a frech movie that I really want to see and it's kinda old: Le fabulouse destin d'Ámelie (is it right spelled?my french is so bad at this point)

QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Oct 28 2006, 07:56 PM)
    Has anyone seen Marie Antionette or Running With Scissors yet? I don't want to pay to see them if they suck.

Not yet but I'm thinking about seing Marie Antoinette. If I do, I'll tell ya wink.gif
  • The costumes and music are so good in Marie Antionette. I really want to see it.
  • yep Guillame Canet is in it. and awesome in his role. everyone in the movie did a really good job. I loved it.

QUOTE (m_I_a @ Oct 28 2006, 03:02 PM)
    There's a frech movie that I really want to see and it's kinda old: Le fabulouse destin d'Ámelie (is it right spelled?my french is so bad at this point)

Yeah most people just call it 'Amelie' for short though. it's really really cool. i love the way it was directed. it reminds me of 'Good Bye Lenin!'

I want to see Marie Antoinette almost as bad as I want to see The Tudors. but not for the same reasons. i hear MA is historically inaccurate but really pretty.

Runing with Scissors, i dunno. I thought the book was good but the movie looks...not good. I dunno, i'll read up on reviews then decide if i want to make the trip to see it.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Oct 28 2006, 02:56 PM)
    Has anyone seen Marie Antionette or Running With Scissors yet? I don't want to pay to see them if they suck.

The previews make Running With Scissors seem so much funnier than it actually is. I liked it, but it's really fucking dark.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Oct 29 2006, 03:23 PM)
    The previews make Running With Scissors seem so much funnier than it actually is. I liked it, but it's really fucking dark.

That's what my gay boy told me, but I still want to see it.

okay so basically this is my biggest pet peeve about the book. On the back cover it says things like 'wikedly, ridiculously funny!' and 'quirky!' when really it's incredibly depressing. and there is humor trying to lighten the fucked up situations Augusten gets himself into but it's so transparent. I was like, why did Burroughs even bother?
  • so ya. I watched a bit of one of the stupidest movies ever.

I don't even know what its called. Its with David Ducovany and Julliane Moore... i probably spelt thier names wrong. I love them botth but really this move was just lame.

It was about aliens... good one Mulder.

Barf, just stay clear of any movie with Moore and Ducovany together.
  • Ok, so what's so great about Moulin Rouge? I just saw it and thought it was so over the top. It'd make a fantastic broadway show, I think, when you could have the music and sounds and costumes all around you in a broadway seat. But on the silver screen, it's so overdone.
  • Yeah I don't much care for that movie but all my friends loooove it. The soundtrack's pretty good, but the movie itself kinda bores me.

I think I'm watching a Disney movie tonight. I have to decide which to watch....
  • I just watched Running With Scissors the other day and I honestly don't understand why everyone think it sucks. I thought it was brilliant. The beggining is a little bad though...it gets better. Way better.
    Maybe it was because it wasn't very close to the book. But I love Ryan Murphy and Augusten Burroughs so... I loved it.

when really it's incredibly depressing. and there is humor trying to lighten the fucked up situations Augusten gets himself into but it's so transparent. I was like, why did Burroughs even bother?

Yeah, maybe that's why... I have NO idea why they tried to play it off as a quirky Garden State movie. It is not. At all.
    But his humor is just really dark like that. It is incredibly depressing, but I love the fact that he could write a book without constantly whining about what a fucked up childhood he had and instead wrote a great hilarious dark book, sad, yeah, but funny too. If you were to read his other books, you'd understand. Except maybe Dry. That wasn't funny. That was serious, and made me cry.
  • I saw Marie Antoinette yesterday with my roomies. I thought it was fantastic. Obviously, it's not historically accurate, but it's not supposed to be. It's VERY Sofia Coppola, i.e. lots of quiet. I can understand why people wouldn't like that; it's hard to sit through when we're used to movies being crammed with dialouge and action. I just wish Dunst didn't play Antoinette. I really don't like her and she's not that great as an actress. That aside, we all left wanting to wear poofy skirts (what can I say? We're girls) and content. It was really well done.

Next week we're planning to go see Borat when my boyfriend comes to visit. I'm so fucking exciting. Apparently, it's fantastic, albeit over the top. My mom laughs uncontrollably whenever we mention it because my cousin spent a couple of months in Kazakhstan (no joke. We still have the, "Greetings from Kazakhstan!" e-mail she sent). Oh my god, it's going to be fantastic.

Last: here's a link to the first 6 minutes of the Tenacious D movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbiJsgeYoUk&eurl=

Oh my god. It's a rock opera and MEAT LOAF is JB's Dad.

This is going to be fantastic.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Nov 5 2006, 12:49 PM)
    here's a link to the first 6 minutes of the Tenacious D movie:

This is soooo Jack Black. My sis isn't going to like the swearing though. (Can you tell she's going to be a school teacher or what.) This looks hillarious. That little kid looks just like a baby Jack Black. Is it really going to be a singing thing or was that just a catchy opening? Hmm.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Nov 5 2006, 08:13 PM)
    This is soooo Jack Black. My sis isn't going to like the swearing though. (Can you tell she's going to be a school teacher or what.) This looks hillarious. That little kid looks just like a baby Jack Black. Is it really going to be a singing thing or was that just a catchy opening? Hmm.

Apparently, it might be vaguely "rock opera," though I don't think it's going to be singing the whole way through (though the Who poster on the wall might be a sign of a "Tommy"-like experience?!???! IS IT A SIGN? I like looking too much into things. I used to watch the TV show "the Mole" and keep a log book (which I wrote in religiously every week during the show) of who I thought the mole was. I never got it right).
  • QUOTE (dobug @ Oct 26 2006, 03:55 AM)
    I didn't like Amelie as much as I liked The City of Lost Children. I also think Jeux d'enfants is a really good french film.

QUOTE (m_I_a @ Oct 28 2006, 05:02 PM)
    There's a frech movie that I really want to see and it's kinda old: Le fabulouse destin d'Ámelie (is it right spelled?my french is so bad at this point)
    Not yet but I'm thinking about seing Marie Antoinette. If I do, I'll tell ya wink.gif

I love Amelie!! And Delicatessen.

There's this movie Little Miss Sunshine that since last year I'm dying to see, but it doesn't come to movie theaters in my city. mad.gif all I know it was directed by the couple that did Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight Tonight" video, which is one of my favourite band videos ever (Ok Go ones aside, of course, they're hors concours - did I write it correctly?).

Well, anybody here did watch Little Miss Sunshine? Is it good??
  • QUOTE (Marianna @ Nov 5 2006, 09:05 PM)
    I love Amelie!! And Delicatessen.

There's this movie Little Miss Sunshine that since last year I'm dying to see, but it doesn't come to movie theaters in my city. mad.gif all I know it was directed by the couple that did Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight Tonight" video, which is one of my favourite band videos ever (Ok Go ones aside, of course, they're hors concours - did I write it correctly?).

Well, anybody here did watch Little Miss Sunshine? Is it good??

First, Amélie is my favorite movie. I must have seen it 30+ times (no joke). It's fantastic. I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

About Little Miss Sunshine: It's the best movie I've seen in the past few years. I now it's a cliched topic: disfuntional family brought together by a roadtrip. However, for some reason, it feels new and innovative. I loved every second of it. I'd really recommend going to see it.
  • Yeah, I saw Little Miss Sunshine last week, and I saw the departed last night.

They're both so bloody good
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Oct 28 2006, 06:56 PM)

I know others have responded, here's my take on it. If you've read the book, then you know what you're getting into. Clearly some people who saw the movie when we were there hadn't, as they got up and left half way through. There are definitely some dark parts, and some of them didn't even come close to the book. But overall, I thought Annette Bening did a great job as the drugged, crazy mother. My favorite line is: "The other night I dreamed I went to Mexico, and when I woke up I had pesos in my pocket." But really, you have to imagine her saying it in drugged, slow voice and the way she pronounces "pesos" is great. Anyway, I think it's worth seeing, but of course, the book is better.
    I'm about to go finish the sequel, Dry, right now. I have loved every page of it.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Nov 5 2006, 01:49 PM)
    Last: here's a link to the first 6 minutes of the Tenacious D movie:

there's going to be a tenacious d movie?? how did i not know that? ah well, i guess the important thing is that i know about it know, right? haha.