In this Discussion

Awful review of Friday's Logan Square show

Comments

• it was going well untill he/she started ripping into theres a fire
  • I hope the author is not a journalism major as her writing style is not very professional. I can't see the phrase "it sucked too much for anyone to make you listen to it" ever appearing in any NY Times article. And it's clear what her opinion is the minute she got to the show and saw who else was in the audience. She should stick to blog writing.
  • this is only the 2nd bit of bad press regarding okgo that ive ever actully seen

although i dont go looking for the bad press
  • It looks like this person was more upset by the little cool additions that made the show fun than the music itself (except for TaF, apparently). What's wrong with confetti, tambourines and inflatable tubes? I'm so used to huge venues with lasers and giant lights and LCD displays showing images of outer space while a show plays that it was refreshing to see something more fun and creative on a smaller stage.

So boo on this person, I say! She sounds like she's anti-fun.
  • Yeah, she is a terrible journalist. If she didn't like those inflatable tubes, she obviously has no concert experience with major bands. That's how big shows are--like Madonna (come on, she fake-crucifies herself on stage), N'sync and Eminem (chainsaws?). I would love to see her reaction to the Flaming Lips and the inflatable aliens they have on stage during their shows ( Not that Ok Go are as big as these bands, but they're having fun). What an pathetic excuse for a review.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Nov 14 2006, 11:24 AM)
    it was going well untill he/she started ripping into theres a fire

i like your sig picture. SCRABBLE IS MY LIFE.
  • i'm not sure what describing the audience had to do with what she was tlaking about. the whole thing seemed all over the place.
  • QUOTE (untidytowns @ Nov 14 2006, 08:52 PM)
    i like your sig picture. SCRABBLE IS MY LIFE.

why thank you kate
  • Although this writer did a poor job of reporting, and she was mostly wrong about the show, does anyone else agree that they may have lost their original spark?
  • This review is bad anyway, but the worst part of it is that they didn't even play "There's a Fire"!!! The song was "Oh Lately."

What a maroon.

I don't know what show this chick was at, but the crowd's energy was incredible; everyone was loving it; and as I've mentioned before, the band themselves thought it fucking rocked. I agree: this person apparently does not like fun.

About spark, this show proved they absolutely have not lost it. If anything, they've got it back. It feels like they're getting their second wind in this extra stretch of touring.
  • Ugh. Freaking U of C people... I hate to say it, but a vast majority of the students there are hipster-elitist scumbags. I interact with them on a frequent basis, so I've got some level of credibility in making that generalization. Given, there are indeed many, many commendable human beings in attendance there, also (case in point, one of my brothers goes to grad school there wink.gif ). However, the person who wrote this just sounds like the stereotypical embittered / jaded youth. It seems as if she playing the "Well, I knew about OK Go long before all these teeny boppers, therefore I am better than them" / "Oh, that band what soooo much better when they weren't popular" card. I think everyone knows how that one goes...

It bothers me when people concentrate solely on the negative. It's so much easier to spot flaws and focus on those. And I'm sure that the author was supposed to write a critical analysis of the show, so power to her for voicing her opinion and not simply writing a fluff piece. But seriously... I went both Thursday and Friday night. Both shows were fantastic, but Friday was exponentially better. The crowd was way more energized, and so were the guys. And sure, the first 4 rows of fans were largely comprised of younger girls, but that didn't bother me - they were the ones rocking out and shouting along. Isn't that what you're supposed to do at rock concerts? (Ageism has always been an issue for me...) My standards for deeming a show "awful" are apparently quite different from her's. I don't know what show she was watching. Meh, sorry for the rant >.< This person just seems like a she takes herself too seriously! tongue.gif
  • I love you, nati_face--I agree with everything you said. (Well, except for the U of C people--I know nothing about them. smile.gif)

Welcome to the board!
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Nov 14 2006, 09:55 PM)
    I love you, nati_face--I agree with everything you said. (Well, except for the U of C people--I know nothing about them. smile.gif)

Welcome to the board!

Kyah! Thank you ^__^ For the record, I now consider you my official OK Go mentor. Yay! Haha.

...Those U of C people [shakes fists]. Naaah, I'm being a kinda harsh. I just loathe pretentious people so much, and U of C tends to be densely populated with that sort [glares]. Anywho, on a more random note, I think that's really admirable that you don't automatically agree with me or hold preconceived notions of that school based on what I said alone. I really respect when people have the good sense to not judge something they know nothing about. You're so awesome... I'll stop fangirling now ^^()

And now, this is going to sound excessively creepy, but I totally recognized you at the concert laugh.gif Since you're a superdy-duper-number-1 OK Go fan (and I'm a total myspace / board lurker) it was inevitable that I stumbled upon you... Yeah. I'm not a total creep! I swear XD As a matter of fact, my friend and her boyfriend are standing in the background of one of your pictures. Hehe. I have so much catching up to do on this board!! I need to post my pics and video from Friday and all that loverly stuff! [glee]

And please feel free to call me Natalie. Or anything remotely resembling that. Or not so much. [shrug] I'm up for whatever.
  • WOW.

That wasn't awful because of what she said about the band; that was awful because it was an awfully written article.

Seriously. Almost as bad as the shit that gets put in the Sophian.

Gimmimckry? Is that a word?

"They are getting more buzz, playing better venues, and making music videos with dancing that makes everyone on your floor jealous" ?? Can you get more "I'm a college student trying to write something of merit"- sounding than that?

Twice she got her facts wrong- 1), referring to "Oh, Lately" as "There's A Fire," and 2) talking about the success of the band’s video “A Million Ways” this past summer- it was "HIGA," you dumbass. Who's not fact-checking this stuff?

Really, I just want to email and be like, "Um, btw, your writing sucks. Maybe you should stop, now." dry.gif
  • I don't feel like reading it..but I think it would be really entertaining if someone emailed her and called her on everything she fucked up.
  • darn... I was getting excited that they had actually played There's a Fire.

anywho, this line annoyed me... "Sadly, though, the success of the band’s video “A Million Ways” this past summer seems to have gained them a following of teenage girls, their cute little ponytails bobbing as they flip their heads to an approximation of drummer Dan Konopka’s beats, ready for something a little more exciting than school assemblies."

Because I am only sixteen years old,( and I don't see what ponytails have to do with anything. I mean, seriously- do scenesters/hipsters not put their hair back during concerts?) and anyways, I've known about Ok GO since LAST summer. I have the feeling that this person was judging a lot of these girls based on their age and maybe their style. It did nothing to add to the article whatsoever, and got me pissed at whoever this is. Even so, when you find out about a band has nothing to do with how big of a fan you are- point in case, I've known about Death Cab for a long time, and I went to their concert a couple of weeks ago, but I'd be the first to tell you I wasn't a real DCFC fan. and I've known about Ok Go for a year, and I don't want to be classified among the teeny-boppers this person is talking about, because I'm obviously a real fan. and even if I had only discovered Ok GO with HIGA, I still would have come one here and found out everything there is to know about them, and converted myself into a real fan because I like Ok GO a whole lot. (and if the crowd had been made of twenty-something hipsters, does that make Ok GO any cooler? It probably would have made the show a lot worse...)

sorry bout that rant, I just get scared when I see people think like that.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 15 2006, 09:42 PM)
    I don't feel like reading it..but I think it would be really entertaining if someone emailed her and called her on everything she fucked up.

I was thinking about sending a letter to the editor complaining about her awful writing style...
  • Do it! In Damian language!
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 15 2006, 11:40 PM)
    Do it! In Damian language!

HAHAHAAHA YES.

Except I'm nowhere near as smart as Damian. sad.gif
  • QUOTE (nati_face @ Nov 14 2006, 11:02 PM)
    Kyah! Thank you ^__^ For the record, I now consider you my official OK Go mentor. Yay! Haha.

...Those U of C people [shakes fists]. Naaah, I'm being a kinda harsh. I just loathe pretentious people so much, and U of C tends to be densely populated with that sort [glares]. Anywho, on a more random note, I think that's really admirable that you don't automatically agree with me or hold preconceived notions of that school based on what I said alone. I really respect when people have the good sense to not judge something they know nothing about. You're so awesome... I'll stop fangirling now ^^()

And now, this is going to sound excessively creepy, but I totally recognized you at the concert laugh.gif Since you're a superdy-duper-number-1 OK Go fan (and I'm a total myspace / board lurker) it was inevitable that I stumbled upon you... Yeah. I'm not a total creep! I swear XD As a matter of fact, my friend and her boyfriend are standing in the background of one of your pictures. Hehe. I have so much catching up to do on this board!! I need to post my pics and video from Friday and all that loverly stuff! [glee]

And please feel free to call me Natalie. Or anything remotely resembling that. Or not so much. [shrug] I'm up for whatever.
    Sorry it took me so long to answer this. I was absolutely dying over this post. You recognized me??? I LOVE THAT! laugh.gif Don't worry--I'm not creeped out at all! Hahaha! That just absolutely kills me.

As far as being your OK Go mentor, well, I'll try! I'm not sure what all goes into that. Ha biggrin.gif

And as far as awesomeness and fangirling ... you're fangirling over me?? I don't even know what to say. About the U of C people, I tend to think I'd agree with you, as I also can't stand the type of people you're describing. smile.gif I've just never been around any U of C-ers to my knowledge, so I was pointing out I wasn't referring to that bit in my "I agree with everything you said." Didn't mean that to be a big point.

It's kinda funny, speaking of people like that and the way this girl wrote the article--before the show, some girls behind us were saying stuff about a bunch of fans further over, further on Tim's side, saying, "You just know they've only been OK Go fans for a month," and I turned and looked at the one girl and said, "Everyone has to start somewhere." *rolls eyes* I hate that kind of shit. Ooh, I'm a bigger/better fan than you/they are ... BARF

Where were you during the show? And what picture are the friend and boyfriend in? I can't wait to see your pics & vids.

You don't by chance have anything from that note exchange, do you?

As a matter of fact, does anyone have any pics/vids of any of that, when Damian read my note???? ANYONE???

I WILL PAY YOU FOR IT

Well, maybe not. But SPEAK UP IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING, PLEEEEEAAAASE!! smile.gif