In this Discussion

Don't Ask Me. Have a question about OK Go/Paracadute? Come on in and ask away!

Comments

• Yep, they've done I Want You To Want Me.
  • "Who is Bill Beall?"

That's actually not the question I'm asking. Tim was going to write a song for this documentary and I haven't heard anything about it. Has anyone else?

http://www.whoisbillbeall.com/press.html

This film has interested producer Marisa Clayton as well as musicians such as Tim Nordwind from OkGo who volunteered to write a song for it. Jacques Bratbaur, a former member of Phantom Planet and well-known rock band photographer, is composing the score
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jan 26 2007, 06:32 PM)
    Yep, they've done I Want You To Want Me.

who hasn't?
    could any of you indicate me where can I get that music cause I'd love so much to have it!!!
  • You mean the Cheap Trick cover? There aren't any recordings floating around of that.
  • QUOTE (destructovicky @ Jan 26 2007, 11:52 AM)
    Thanks for the info--I was just kidding about the dance contest part. I must say I'm quite impressed with everyone's helpfulness. I've been enjoying the Ok Go central site--especially hearing their choice of cover versions. Have they ever done a cover version of any Cheap Trick songs? It seems a natural. It'd be a blast to hear them do "He's a Whore" or "You're All Talk." Or even "Elo kiddies," for that matter.
    Oh man, I'm with you on "Elo Kiddies." Well, any of them ("He's a Whore" would be pretty funny), but I have a dream that I will one day go to an OK Go show where they launch into "Hello There" and then just play all of At Budokan. biggrin.gif

Glad you're liking OK Go Central. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Jan 27 2007, 01:58 AM)
    but I have a dream that I will one day go to an OK Go show where they launch into "Hello There" and then just play all of At Budokan. biggrin.gif

Wow. That would be amazing. I bet they would do it, too, if someone put them up to it, haha.
  • I would pass out.
  • sorry to ask, but does anyone happen to have a copy of Damian's article in the NY Times on DRM? They require a login name and subscription or something to read online.
    Thanks very much!
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jan 26 2007, 11:32 PM)
    You mean the Cheap Trick cover? There aren't any recordings floating around of that.

Oh sad.gif that's just too bad because I'd love to listen to a Cheap Trick cover by ok go...
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jan 28 2007, 02:51 AM)
    sorry to ask, but does anyone happen to have a copy of Damian's article in the NY Times on DRM? They require a login name and subscription or something to read online.
    Thanks very much!

Buy, Play, Trade, Repeat

By DAMIAN KULASH Jr.
    Published: December 6, 2005
    Los Angeles

THE record company Sony BMG recently got in trouble after attempting to stem piracy by encoding its CD's with software meant to limit how many copies can be made of the discs. It turned out that the copy-protection software exposed consumers' computers to Internet viruses, forcing Sony BMG to recall the CD's.

This technological disaster aside, though, Sony BMG and the other major labels need to face reality: copy-protection software is bad for everyone, consumers, musicians and labels alike. It's much better to have copies of albums on lots of iPods, even if only half of them have been paid for, than to have a few CD's sitting on a shelf and not being played.

The Sony BMG debacle revealed the privacy issues and security risks tied to the spyware that many copy-protection programs install on users' computers. But even if these problems are solved, copy protection is guaranteed to fail because it's a house of cards. No matter how sophisticated the software, it takes only one person to break it, once, and the music is free to roam and multiply on the peer-to-peer file-trading networks.

Meanwhile, music lovers get pushed away. Tech-savvy fans won't go to the trouble of buying a strings-attached record when they can get a better version free. Less Net-knowledgeable fans (those who don't know the simple tricks to get around the copy-protection software or don't use peer-to-peer networks) are punished by discs that often won't load onto their MP3 players (the copy-protection programs are incompatible with Apple's iPods, for example) and sometimes won't even play in their computers.

Conscientious fans, who buy music legally because it's the right thing to do, just get insulted. They've made the choice not to steal their music, and the labels thank them by giving them an inferior product hampered by software that's at best a nuisance, and at worst a security threat.

As for musicians, we are left to wonder how many more people could be listening to our music if it weren't such a hassle, and how many more iPods might have our albums on them if our labels hadn't sabotaged our releases with cumbersome software.

The truth is that the more a record gets listened to, the more successful it is. This is not just our megalomania, it's Marketing 101: the more times a song gets played, the more of a chance it has to catch the ear of someone new. It doesn't do us much good if people buy our records and promptly shelve them; we need them to fall in love with our songs and listen to them over and over. A record that you can't transfer to your iPod is a record you're less likely to listen to, less likely to get obsessed with and less likely to tell your friends about.

Luckily, my band's recently released album, "Oh No," escaped copy control, but only narrowly. When our album came out, our label's parent company, EMI, was testing protective software and thought we were a good candidate for it. Record company executives reasoned that because we appeal to college students who have the high-bandwidth connections necessary for getting access to peer-to-peer networks, we're the kind of band that gets traded instead of bought.

That may be true, but we are also the sort of band that hasn't yet gotten the full attention of MTV and major commercial radio stations, so those college students are our only window onto the world. They are our best chance for success, and we desperately need them to be listening to us, talking about us, coming to our shows and yes, trading us.

To be clear, I certainly don't encourage people to pirate our music. I have poured my life into my band, and after two major label records, our accountants can tell you that we're not real rock stars yet. But before a million people can buy our record, a million people have to hear our music and like it enough to go looking for it. That won't happen without a lot of people playing us for their friends, which, in turn, won't happen without a fair amount of file sharing.

As it happened, for a variety of reasons, our label didn't put copy-protection software on our album. What a shame, though, that so many bands aren't as fortunate.

Damian Kulash Jr. is the lead singer for OK Go.
  • Thanks so so so much!!!
  • On the band's tour dates, it shows that they will be playing April 13, 2007 at Pepperdine University. Does anyone know when tickets will be on sale if it is not already? I checked out ticketmaster.com but didn't see it. Thanks!
  • QUOTE (rocksugar @ Jan 28 2007, 10:12 PM)
    On the band's tour dates, it shows that they will be playing April 13, 2007 at Pepperdine University. Does anyone know when tickets will be on sale if it is not already? I checked out ticketmaster.com but didn't see it. Thanks!

They go on sale 02/12. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (tiredofkim @ Jan 28 2007, 11:09 PM)
    They go on sale 02/12. smile.gif

Thank you! biggrin.gif
  • I guess this doesn't exactly fit here, but it's a question that I didn't think really warranted a new topic. How long are Ok Go concerts usually? An hour? Or more?
  • Shut...Up! You've got to go see them. Ok Go is sooooo awesome live. I saw them 3 times last year. woot! Yes, they usually play about an hour or so. about 5 songs from each of their cds, 2 cover songs, 2 acoustic songs, and their awesome AMW dance to finish it off. Go see them ASAP!! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jan 31 2007, 10:52 PM)
    I guess this doesn't exactly fit here, but it's a question that I didn't think really warranted a new topic. How long are Ok Go concerts usually? An hour? Or more?

I've only been to one of their shows. They were headlining (is that the correct term?) and their entire set lasted about an hour and half. It was an hour and half of pure bliss.
  • It depends on whether or not they're opening or closing the show.
  • Opening- 45 minutes
    Headlining- 1.5 hours

Something like that.