In this Discussion

Huh?

13»

Comments

• i think i look at things both ways. sometimes i look at one one way, sometimes the other, sometimes both. what about that piece of work made you stare at it and all?
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 4 2007, 08:56 PM)
    i think i look at things both ways. sometimes i look at one one way, sometimes the other, sometimes both. what about that piece of work made you stare at it and all?

Oh of course it's possible to look at it from both ways.

What about it? Why did I like it?
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Feb 4 2007, 04:04 PM)
    What about it? Why did I like it?

yep.
  • I don’t know…I kind of feel like, every part of a song is important. If the words didn’t mean anything, they wouldn’t be there. Everything in art is deliberate and dense with meaning, even if unconscious (according to my literature profs). Emerson (ok, now I’m just repeating stuff my professors say) wrote, “The poet is the sayer, the namer and represents beauty”…”The capital secret of his profession, namely, to convert life into truth” and he described not only poets but all artists. And I feel like, since all the parts of a piece of art are important, the lyrical musician has the hardest job of all, because not only must the words be penetrating but they have to complement the instrumental sound so that the final result is not simply beautiful poetry or beautiful instrumentation but something that that goes beyond both of them- the whole becomes more than the sum of the parts.

And I agree, tonetoil, that a large part of art is its ambiguity; interpretation is what makes abstract art so universal and so powerful. And a poet (Roseanna Warren, daughter of Robert Penn Warren) once told me that even when ppl see things in her art that she didn't intend, that just adds even more value to it. It means that the work has transcended simplistic meaning.

And I don’t know, like, if I listen to the garbage by the Backstreet Boys, well, it does nothing. But when I listen to Ok Go, it’s like, I don’t know, a transcendental experience. The words are clever and often even deep and the sound grabs you and when you put them together, you get something far beyond anything I’ve ever heard before…

or maybe I've been in lit class too long and I should just stop rambling. sorry.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 4 2007, 03:26 PM)
    Haha, it's hard to explain, isn't it?

O M G ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
    HAHAHAHA maybe u should listen 2 this song:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDoE9u8Tq28
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 4 2007, 09:18 PM)
    yep.

Well, when I saw his installation, there were lots of these similar pictures of people behind panes of glass.
    Including pictures like this:
    They were huge and took up a large portion of the walls. There was just this large group of huge pictures of people, something that should feel warm and inviting, but none were making eye contact and were seperated from the observer because of this pane of glass. It was disconnected and lonely. It was the exact opposite a photograph of a person should make you feel. I felt the inability to connect or at least a feeling of loneliness amid others. It was powerful and huge without being over-the-top. It was just this strong feeling of saddness. Anything that can make me feel an emotion so strongly, especially a powerful one like saddness and loneliness, captivates me for obvious reasons.

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 4 2007, 09:32 PM)
    I don’t know…I kind of feel like, every part of a song is important. If the words didn’t mean anything, they wouldn’t be there. Everything in art is deliberate and dense with meaning, even if unconscious (according to my literature profs). Emerson (ok, now I’m just repeating stuff my professors say) wrote, “The poet is the sayer, the namer and represents beauty”…”The capital secret of his profession, namely, to convert life into truth” and he described not only poets but all artists. And I feel like, since all the parts of a piece of art are important, the lyrical musician has the hardest job of all, because not only must the words be penetrating but they have to complement the instrumental sound so that the final result is not simply beautiful poetry or beautiful instrumentation but something that that goes beyond both of them- the whole becomes more than the sum of the parts.

And I agree, tonetoil, that a large part of art is its ambiguity; interpretation is what makes abstract art so universal and so powerful. And a poet (Roseanna Warren, daughter of Robert Penn Warren) once told me that even when ppl see things in her art that she didn't intend, that just adds even more value to it. It means that the work has transcended simplistic meaning.

And I don’t know, like, if I listen to the garbage by the Backstreet Boys, well, it does nothing. But when I listen to Ok Go, it’s like, I don’t know, a transcendental experience. The words are clever and often even deep and the sound grabs you and when you put them together, you get something far beyond anything I’ve ever heard before…

or maybe I've been in lit class too long and I should just stop rambling. sorry.

You make a great point about the artist's "job" of capturing intangible emotion. You're really eloquent, you're not rambling at all.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Feb 5 2007, 10:58 PM)
    You're really eloquent, you're not rambling at all.

thanks! I do annoy ppl with my rambling though, so lol, please do tell me to shut up when I start doing it smile.gif

And you are really quite eloquent yourself smile.gif
  • With OK Go's lyrics I tend to listen harder and think more than with some other bands' songs. In fact, besides the amazing WHOMP of "Invincible" (I heard it in "Step Up," I think, and had to own it), the lyrics were part of what drew me to OK Go. They sounded so much smarter and cleverer than most of what's written today. Now that I know Damian majored in semiotics at Brown (he actually majored in art AND semiotics), I will always assume that each song has not only meaning and significance, but *layers* of meaning. It's what he's interested in, it's what he studied, and you can tell when he talks, even when he's joking around, how articulate and deliberate he is in choosing words. Just like the way he ranted about using the word "impact" as a verb. He's a guy who thinks about each word and what effect it will have.

So, that's just my two pesos on the "just enjoy the music" vs. "analyze this" topic. :-) Either way, it's all good.
  • Oops, Tabetha, I hadn't read your post when I wrote mine just now. I think we're saying similar things.