In this Discussion

OK Go Interview + Live review on Maps

edited November -1 in OK Go
Check it here: www.mapsmagazine.co.uk

Comments

• Thanks! Interesting to know what he thinks of the message boards and the hardcore fans.
  • Thanks maps! That was an interesting interview!
    You realise it’s pretty great that people make friends and that you actually are the centre of a disperse community. I love that about the bulletin board but it also means, like my mum reads the bulletin board all the time. So she has this really distorted view of what my life is like, because if someone on the bulletin board has seen me sick or in a bad mood or whatever it is, suddenly she thinks that my whole life is whatever thirty seconds of my life that the people on the bulletin board actually report they then discuss in great detail for days on end and my mum thinks that like, "Oh my god you must be deathly ill", and I’m like, "I have a cold Mom."

That's really my favorite part. :-) G-d only knows what she'll think of the Starbucks thread. Hi, Mrs. K!
  • Ummmm... (embarrassed)...

"Hi, Damian's mom. ... Good job on your kids!"
  • LOL Snoop Dog hes like nineteen feet tall.
  • i adore the story about their name. the one with arts teacher in the camp;}

everything they do is so sincere. that's what i love about them;}
  • Do you ever get freaked out by some of the fans?
    Yes.

I LOL'd. The first thing that came to mind was Aquafresh Extreme Clean, the shampoo (Aveno, was it? I wasn't paying attention), and the coffee virgins trying to take double espresso over ice... HAHAHA laugh.gif Oh, boardies.

p.s. Hi Mrs. Kulash! And Hi Damian! I promise we'll try not to be so creepy!
  • QUOTE (Brunonianne @ Feb 13 2007, 04:30 PM)
    Ummmm... (embarrassed)...

"Hi, Damian's mom. ... Good job on your kids!"

My thoughts exactly laugh.gif

Where does your name come from?
    My dad.
    ---> BWAHAHAHA laugh.gif I nearly fell off my chair LOL
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Feb 13 2007, 01:42 PM)
    Do you ever get freaked out by some of the fans?
    Yes.

I LOL'd. The first thing that came to mind was Aquafresh Extreme Clean, the shampoo (Aveno, was it? I wasn't paying attention), and the coffee virgins trying to take double espresso over ice... HAHAHA laugh.gif Oh, boardies.

p.s. Hi Mrs. Kulash! And Hi Damian! I promise we'll try not to be so creepy!

I some how feel like the whole freaked out by fans thing was directed at me. I think this is a sign that I need to get rid of my Damian and Tim hair dolls. Awww man I already broke the promise. I really suck at not being creepy. I'll try my hardest from now on to fight my urge to make cheap stalker jokes. Hello also to the Kulashs'!
    Yes. There’s just such a fine line between overwhelmed and impressed and like badly freaked out. Because the level of creativity and devotion that so many fans have displayed is heartbreakingly wonderful. But then there’s times when you get to the point where it kinda scares you, the smallest things in our life, or the smallest offhand things said at a show or done in any kind of conjunction with the band get made into these monumental acts. It didn’t mean anything, I just had nothing better to say, you know.
    OW. Ouch. Pain stabs my heart! LOL FUCK! DAMN sad.gif Damnit, wow. So I admire OKGO. Alot. Fanatically. When did that become a crime???? HAhahahaha, I really hope he doesn't read the Starbucks thread :X LOL SHIT! FUCK!! I think that thread alone is the reason why he said the things he did :'( HAHA! I'm so embarrassed, in a sad way sad.gif

I'm hurt. I thought it was funny to be that devoted to a band. I mean, I laughed at Lindsay in Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen smile.gif When she was going crazy over that guy? Sid Arthur? I dunno.

Well, in case you ever read this, (OKGO and friends):

I'm just playing around sad.gif I really am! It's funny to be the stereotypical groupie who faints when her favorite rockstar is close! I'm not reaaaally crazy. I just have a lot of free time smile.gif <3 I still love you guys, platonically. Most of the time. smile.gif

Angela!!!! I think what he said is a bit aimed at me too. LOL. I mean, this is the face I usually use when I see/hear/feel them.

HAHA biggrin.gif Even I know I look deranged here xD

Anyway, I love this!
    I mean outside of a show in Providence a couple days ago, I’d come out in the alley. The show had been done for a couple of hours, and I wasn’t expecting to see anyone back there. And there were twenty or thirty kids sitting out there, and I was like, "Do you guys all know each other?" and they were like, "We do now".

A&T! Nida! That's us baby smile.gif Cute cute smile.gif
    Every six months or so I go on to take people’s temperature. The thing with the boards is, love those fans though I do, it’s a very small population compared to the overall fandom. And they’re not particularly representative. They’re hilarious and all my love goes out to them, but it’s a small clique, and you can’t really pay to much attention to what they’re saying because there’s basically a hundred people there.

Guys. You missed the greatest part. He thinks we're hilarious.

I do think he's talking about the JC though, since that's the board that his mom usually frequents to. Also there's only about 35 regular boardies on here, as opposed to the hundred he's talking about. It's also probably some of the worst representation of the fans, since everyone over there is 14, hormonal, and always fighting and screaming about how hot everyone is. There's rarely any commentary about how a show was they attended, or any intelligent conversation whatsoever, it's always "DAMIAN WAS SO HOT LAST NIGHT, HIS HAND TOUCHED MINE! I'M MELTING!"

[rant]
    And people don't use the search over there, they just start new threads of something there's already a thread for!
    Message board general courtesy rules are always ignored, and that in itself is a reason to not go over there. ARGH!!
    [/rant]
  • He thinks we're hilarious, but then he goes on about how psycho we are. I dunno. I feel like I got caught redhanded or something, haha

lol, I can see what you mean smile.gif The JC board is very cluttered and doesn't look as nice. Why can't he come here? Boo.
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Feb 13 2007, 09:12 PM)
    JC though, since that's the board that his mom usually frequents to.

Who said?
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Feb 13 2007, 10:12 PM)
    Guys. You missed the greatest part. He thinks we're hilarious.
    I do think he's talking about the JC though, since that's the board that his mom usually frequents to.

Really? You think? I mean, back in November at the DC show he said his Mom had seen a discussion about him being an asshole. That didn't happen on the JC. I only remember this because it was how I found out about these boards in the first place!

Either way it's pretty funny.
  • Sheri, you can see her username appear in the 'online now' section of it.

I've never seen her on this board, though she may have a different identity. (SHE COULD BE Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore! GASP! tongue.gif )
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Feb 13 2007, 10:42 PM)
    Sheri, you can see her username appear in the 'online now' section of it.

I've never seen her on this board, though she may have a different identity. (SHE COULD BE Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore! GASP! tongue.gif )

what's her username? sorry to ask such a lame question

also, are there really 100 daily users there? it's more cluttered and disorganized but it somehow seems less active than here.
  • I can't remember what it is, at the moment. I'm drawing a total blank, it's been so long since I've been on the JC and seen her online.

To be perfectly honest, I actually don't want to post it to respect her privacy and to avoid any conflict.
    I will say, if you know her name, you can figure it out pretty easily.

Usually there's a lot more people running through the JC on a day to day basis than on here. If you sit on the computer all day, you'll definitely notice it(I do have a social life, I swear!). I'm sure Damian was giving a rough estimate on the numbers, as well. And as always, I'm only guessing from my acute observations at all this, if you want the truth, ask the guy himself. tongue.gif
    but it’s a small clique, and you can’t really

pay to much attention to what they’re saying because there’s basically a hundred people there.

He may be underestimating the significance of these online forums and message boards. For one thing, it is well known that most forums have a large number of lurkers, who never contribute, but may still follow discussions closely.
    played Times Square on New Year’s Eve

Is this correct? I thought I saw a clip of them playing in Vegas on NYE. unsure.gif