In this Discussion

New video and new single

Comments

• QUOTE (ytel82 @ Feb 15 2007, 12:01 AM)
    Instead of clicking where it says "click here to download", right click and 'save target as'....that worked for me wink.gif

why thank you!
  • Some of you guys loved the vid and some of you didn't. If you didn't like it, you should discuss it here. The lads have a connection w/ their fans and really appreciate informative feedback from the fans. They rely on us for feedback just as much as we rely on them for great music. The two are intertwined you might say. It's great that people like the vid, but you shouldn't feel shy about not liking it either. Ok Go is all about causing a stir and debate amongst it's fans. Damian would want to hear about our opinions. The lads genuinely want to know whether we like what they do musically and why we feel the way we do about the music. Am right, aren't I Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore?
  • I enjoyed watching the video and most parts of it were good: the band rocking out, the hoola hoop guy, the pogo stick guy, the lady dancer, and so on. I think that they were trying to be mysterious with the masks, which i personally enjoyed trying to figure out who's who. True that the video doesn't exactly go with the music, but never-the-less you have it admit it's pretty darn entertaining otherwise. Maybe it'll be better on a bigger screen with better pixelation.

We don't get to see the guys beautiful faces, but we all know how they look like. They're gorgeous, with or without masks. ph34r.gif
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 14 2007, 09:11 PM)
    Some of you guys loved the vid and some of you didn't. If you didn't like it, you should discuss it here. The lads have a connection w/ their fans and really appreciate informative feedback from the fans. They rely on us for feedback just as much as we rely on them for great music. The two are intertwined you might say. It's great that people like the vid, but you shouldn't feel shy about not liking it either. Ok Go is all about causing a stir and debate amongst it's fans. Damian would want to hear about our opinions. The lads genuinely want to know whether we like what they do musically and why we feel the way we do about the music. Am right, aren't I Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore?

I agree with you. They've even said it before, they like to confuse thier fans/audience! This was a fantastic approach at doing just that. Some like the video, some don't, some are too confused to discuss it. So I think the fact that this video makes us want to discuss it, makes it awesome, whether we like it or not. The important thing is that we still support OK Go's music.

..."talk amongst yourselves"....
  • do you think they'll let us know what parts are them and which arent?
  • I only just watched it because I thought it was coming out tomorrow and I didn't think it would come out early. I kind of liked it and I kind of thought it was frightening. I'm not really sure. I'm going to say that I like it, but I don't think it's really super awesome or anything.

I'm more pissed off by the fact that I'm like 5 hours late to seeing the video. If only I didn't have to go to practice and do homework. The good thing is that I found out that the girl who is going to replace me when I graduate loves OK Go too, which basically makes her wonderful.
  • Being avant garde is great, but there's a fine line between that and gimicky. It doesn't bother me that I can't see their faces. Several music vids don't show band members faces and are still enjoyable. It's the fact that this vid seems over the top. Ok Go likes to push the envelope, yes, but I enjoy their more down-to-earth vids that appear more obviously homemade. This vid seems to lack the heart that their other vids have. There is definitely a lot of amazing effort involved and fun, but something is missing. When I say "something is missing" I don't mean their faces. I can do without their faces if I have to. Others who do not like this vid agree that it's not the lack of faces that's the problem, there's a certain something undescribely else that's missing.
  • Tempe, do you think that the video seems too "commercial"? I think I understand what you are trying to get at. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but it also feels overly done as well. Whereas their other videos are simple and basic, this had a lot of stuff going on.

I personally enjoyed their touring video the best for dwyw. It shows OK Go in their elements. And it's also fantastic how Andy slides down the snow. tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 15 2007, 12:25 AM)
    Ok Go likes to push the envelope, yes, but I enjoy their more down-to-earth vids that appear more obviously homemade. This vid seems to lack the heart that their other vids have.

i definitely agree with you on that. i love how their other videos seem more, whats the word, personal? this one isnt so personal. i still love it, but its not the same.
  • QUOTE (rocksugar @ Feb 14 2007, 10:30 PM)
    Tempe, do you think that the video seems too "commercial"? I think I understand what you are trying to get at. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but it also feels overly done as well. Whereas their other videos are simple and basic, this had a lot of stuff going on.

I personally enjoyed their touring video the best for dwyw. It shows OK Go in their elements. And it's also fantastic how Andy slides down the snow. tongue.gif

Yes, rocksugar! You hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I just couldn't find the word. I really appreciate someone else putting it into words so marvelously. I think it was also a mistake to tell us this vid would blow our minds. It created too great an expectation to reach. I love the tour DWYW vid too. With the success of HIGA, they should've tried just to re-release the dance version of DWYW.
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 14 2007, 10:36 PM)
    i definitely agree with you on that. i love how their other videos seem more, whats the word, personal? this one isnt so personal. i still love it, but its not the same.

yes! That's my frustration. I do like this video, but their other vids are much more personal. Combining the paisely garb with some changes of scenery would've been nice. Lol, ironic how the people are all covered in paiselys and the vid lacks being personal.
  • That video is AWESOME.

I had a hell of a time trying to figure which one was Damian and which one was Andy.

Sweeeet though.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 15 2007, 12:43 AM)
    Combining the paisely garb with some changes of scenery would've been nice.

i think it would have been pretty funny if they wore those suits (including the covered faces) and just walked around places to show us their reactions. which i guess they kinda did during the grammys. hmm.

***EDIT***
    other people's reactions that is.
  • QUOTE (nostabenitsirhc @ Feb 14 2007, 10:49 PM)
    i think it would have been pretty funny if they wore those suits (including the covered faces) and just walked around places to show us their reactions. which i guess they kinda did during the grammys. hmm.

Lol! That would've been sweet! laugh.gif
  • the video was very random but still funny though.. haha i do too think its funny how they're trying to play their guitars with mittens.. haha
  • the video was very random but still funny though.. haha i do too think its funny how they're trying to play their guitars with mittens.. haha
  • QUOTE (rt802 @ Feb 15 2007, 12:56 AM)
    the video was very random but still funny though.. haha i do too think its funny how they're trying to play their guitars with mittens.. haha

haha, yes i enjoyed the mittens as well :]
  • I keep forgetting to say: This video reminds me of those Magic Eye posters that were popular for about 20 minutes in the late 1980s, where if you could get your eyes to focus on a point about three feet behind the picture plane, a three-dimensional image would emerge from what at first appeared to be an incoherent riot of colored dots.

I thought this when I saw the first promotional still shot that (I think) ihave7stars posted about midway through this thread. http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?...ost&p=97041

Anyone with me on this?

EDIT: Oh, and the song is still GREAT. Let's not forget that.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Feb 15 2007, 01:05 AM)
    I keep forgetting to say: This video reminds me of those Magic Eye posters that were popular for about 20 minutes in the late 1980s, where if you could get your eyes to focus on a point about three feet behind the picture plane, a three-dimensional image would emerge from what at first appeared to be an incoherent riot of colored dots.

I thought this when I saw the first promotional still shot that (I think) ihave7stars posted about midway through this thread.

Anyone with me on this?

yesyes!!
    i didnt even think of that!
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 14 2007, 09:25 PM)
    Being avant garde is great, but there's a fine line between that and gimicky. It doesn't bother me that I can't see their faces. Several music vids don't show band members faces and are still enjoyable. It's the fact that this vid seems over the top. Ok Go likes to push the envelope, yes, but I enjoy their more down-to-earth vids that appear more obviously homemade. This vid seems to lack the heart that their other vids have. There is definitely a lot of amazing effort involved and fun, but something is missing. When I say "something is missing" I don't mean their faces. I can do without their faces if I have to. Others who do not like this vid agree that it's not the lack of faces that's the problem, there's a certain something undescribely else that's missing.

I agree -- I definitely see the visual appeal they're trying to put out there. It just felt like I was paying attention to all of the chaos that was going on in the video than actually listening to the music. Is it because I've heard the song a thousand times? Maybe. Still a super fantastic video! Maybe we're just comfortable with the simplicity of the other ones.

But then again, they're really just taking their own advice -- do what you want. Hence the video. (And my ridiculous reference to it. tongue.gif)

The tour/state parks one is still my favorite, though. Rock music + the great outdoors = Win-Win Situations.