In this Discussion

the first time you heard OK Go.

Comments

• *doublepost that I can't figure out how to delete*
  • My dear daddy showed us the HIGA video like a few days after it was released. Then my sister figure out, "Oh! They're a band." Then she visited the website and got kind of obsessed with the guys. I came along and wondered what she was doing, and I have been in love with them ever since. My sister? Not so much.

Even though I'm ashamed I discovered them during the HIGA phase, I love my daddy. wub.gif

And I remember my eyes kept on following "the guy with the red pants." biggrin.gif
  • I remember listening to "Get Over It" a LOT, but at that point I was pretty young and didn't have enough internet access or skills to even find a picture of the band.

Then I saw "A Million Ways" for the first time. At 1 in the morning. On PBS. No joke. Most random act of fate ever.

Unfortunately, I was too far away from the screen (and my eyesight was too clouded by tears brought out by intense, hysterical laughter - it was 1 AM after all) to see the name of the song or the band, so I lost them again for a few weeks until I saw a screen capture for the video on YouTube and I distinctly remember saying out loud, "OH MY GOD! IT'S THAT ONE BAND!! WITH AWESOME VIDEO! OH MY GOD! IT'S OK GO! OK GOOOO!!"

And I clicked, and I watched, and I added to my favorites. And I've been pretty much addicted ever since.
  • I found out about them when They were talking about The Million Ways vid. on Best Week Ever. Man I love that show.
  • Oh, yeah, I'll never forget it. The first time I heard OK Go was when I saw them perform live at the HFSTival in DC, Memorial Day weekend, 2006. Imagine your first OK Go experience being one of their incredible live shows...well, some of you have had the same experience, so you know why I was instantly hooked. And then they played the ELO cover, which made them even more fabulous in my eyes. Because I live under a rock, what with working way too hard and going to school, I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't heard of OK Go before, not even the AMW video that everyone had already seen at that point, so when they went into the dance, it sealed the deal for me. I had never seen a band that was so clever and original, and so much fun, on top of being great performers with great music! And THEN I got to meet them! They had an album signing after the set, so I got right up and bought the album IMMEDIATELY to get it signed (I knew I had to have this album anyway), and I have never regretted that impulse purchase. OK Go rocks my world.

I've been off the boards for a while - we have two girls now que falan portugues? I think that's cool. My Portuguese is very bad from lack of use, so I probably won't try to talk to you too much in Portuguese, but I like the fact that you're here. OK Go is worldwide, baby.
  • saw them on mtv
    i can remember it perfectly
    i was so excited because of how great they were
    it was amazing
    they were amazing
    i went out and got their cd right away
  • Got a free three song demo of OK Go that someone handed to me after a show at the troubadour in los angeles, sometime early in 2002...liked what I heard and bought the cd when it came out. later that year, I saw them play at the troubabour w/ fountains of wayne and at HOB Anaheim. i loved their energy on stage, it was infectious; I couldn't help but dance to the music. I recall damian sitting for most of the show because of his injury to his leg..can't remember how he was hurt...just remember him rocking the hell out of the chair he was sitting on, most impressive, I must say! another thing that sticks out in my memory, is their performance of "unrequited orchestra of locomotion" and their les miz skit.....gah...wish I could hit rewind and relive it again! since then, I've tried not to miss an ok go show, if I could help it. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (weirdwolf76 @ Mar 6 2007, 08:58 PM)
    another thing that sticks out in my memory, is their performance of "unrequited orchestra of locomotion"

You saw that LIVE????
    Argh I am so jealous. The envy is seriously overwhelming. Do you think they'll ever do it live again because I am in love with that song...?
  • They used to do it all the time, but they probably haven't since ARoss joined.
  • Well, I first came into contact with the Splendifirous OK Go when Get Over it first came out. I was part of this group called Tremor and we tested stuff for companies, well they sent me a cd, I couldn't tell you who was on that CD except for OK Go #8 and The Vines #9. I played those two tracks everyday when i took a shower, i joke not, everyday. Then I somehow misplaced the cd, and I forgot all about it. Then one day a few years later a kid in my Brit Lit class showed me "A million ways" and I thought it was hilarious. Then I kinda forgot about it, then last summer, fate said third times the charm and a friend of mine suggested we do a dance for a church talent show. We picked out A million ways and we set about learning it. I was in charge of getting music so I bought both cds just in case it wasn't on one or the other. So I bought them, I of course popped in Ok Go first, and when I found myself singing along my whole body started to tingle and a bright light shown from the heavans and a loud voice spoke unto me saying, " This is my beloved band, hear them" and ever since I have been hooked. And now I do everything to Ok Go, I wake up, I go to bed, I go to the gymn, I drive like a mad woman, everything.....That is my conversion story.
  • I'm lazy as hell, and have told this story way too many times to have any sort of inclination to retype it, so I copied and pasted from my JC post about it:
    when i was in seventh grade, right before my birthday one of my friends asked me if i liked OK Go, as a seventh grader, i prided myself on knowing most of what there was to know about good music, so of course, i couldn't admit that i had no clue who OK Go was, so i was like "eh, they're okaaaaay, but i don't love them" because i figured that if it was a band that i'd love, i would've heard about them by now, about a week later she was playing them in her car (well, her mom's car) and i was like "this band is amazing, who is it?" and she gently informed me "um, hannah, you're stupid, this is OK Go, that okaaaay band" and at this point i was forced to admit that i hadn't actually heard them before, and begged her to buy their cd for me for my birthday, despite what i had said a week earlier, so she gave me a copy of her illegally burned copy, and I bought the cd when it came out! and now i'm in love!
  • There's this nice woman who is a friend of my parents. And she sends us funny little things through email every once in a while. So back in August this past summer she sent us HIGA and I watched it and thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Sadly, I didn't realize it was an actual band's video at the time sad.gif (I feel so evil). So after watching it many times and sticking it on my Myspace because it was so cool, I started listening to the actual song rather than getting mesmerized by the skater step. I saw the whole "OK Go on treadmills" bit and decided to look them up. Discovered they were a band. Looked up their Myspace. Instantly loved all the songs they had on there, and bought Oh No the next day. I fell for them very fast. Then I started looking each of them up specifically and found out that their personalities were just as amazing as their music.
    Though they won a grammy and all, no one else around me ever brought up "the treadmill video", and before that I wasn't really going to YouTube at all looking for videos. So I think if it weren't for that woman sending what she thought was just a cool video, I may have never heard of this spectacular life-changing thing called OK Go. I recently sent her an email thanking her profoundly, actually. hahaha.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Mar 6 2007, 02:59 PM)
    You saw that LIVE????
    Argh I am so jealous. The envy is seriously overwhelming. Do you think they'll ever do it live again because I am in love with that song...?

If only! I would love to see that again (It's one of my favorites too!), but I highly doubt they will. I got to see them play that song live at least four or five times...but like all good musicians do, they started adding new material into their live performances and cutting out the older stuff....don't know if it's because of the tour they're on right now, but I know that they didn't do the "Millions" dance at the last two shows I went to.
  • i must say im quite blessed that the first time i really heard ok go, other then the treadmill guys reference was when they played a free show at ucsd just this past december.. and to think that my friend and i almost didnt go! im so glad we did and since then i was hooked! i walked into the show with no expectations and left totally blown away, especially the acoustic portion, and the AMW dance which i actually hadnt ever seen before! now ive learned a lot from these boards about ok go and love learning more random bits about them - i like how they are so down to earth and are just real people and not all superficial like some bands are.
  • It was late 2001, I was HUGE into another band that had been split for about 2 years, and I was on a message board not unlike this one, where fans of the band would chat to each other about their love for the defunct band, and life in general. The drummer for the band, a man known affectionatley as "Icky" would write quite regularily and tell us all about his musical discoveries and loves of various bands. I aske dhim one day if there was anythingnew out there that he knew that I would like seeing as he knew my musical taste reasonably well. He then told me of this little Chicago band called OK Go that he had seen a few times in some clubs and was pretty sure that they had an album coming out soon. I went onto amazon and saw that they indeed had an album on the way, but not for awhile. I pre ordered it and proceeded to download some stufff from limewire, I assume from appendices, and fell in love immediately. I got the album shortly afterand my life has never been the same since. Hard to believe its been more than 5 years already.....
  • QUOTE (Falknerd @ Mar 7 2007, 03:47 PM)
    Hard to believe its been more than 5 years already.....

I completely agree! after all these years, I still get uber-excited about going to one of their shows or hearing any new music they've got to offer smile.gif
  • The first OK Go song I heard was Get Over It. I loved the song, but I never actually found out that OK Go played it. Then (much later) I was watching MTV because I had some time to kill before I had to go to school. The first video I saw was the treadmill video. I fell in love with the video and started looking up more on OK Go. When I found out they wrote Get Over It I actually shouted "Oh my God! I love that song! These guys rock!" Then I bought their two CDs and fell in love with them. I think I became obsessed with them after seeing the ping-pong instructional video.
  • The First time I heard of OK Go was when my friend was showing me this cool dance moves, but when she did it, it wasn't that appealing to me then. So she kept on telling me how cool it was so she showed me AMW online(this was the time when HIGA was already out). I thought the whole music video was great. haha. I paid attention to the song(which was interesting cause I usually pay attention to the video..) anyways.. Then my friend told me that they sang that song which I thought was very cool. So I looked them up and everything, which I never do for any band because I've never had a favorite band before. So they're special. biggrin.gif in other news which I thought was cool: today I went to the DMV to take my permit test and when I was done the guy who was grading the tests asked about OK Go because I was wearing my sexy OK Go sweater. He said he went to thy're concert last week at San Diego.. I love it when you find random OK Go fans.
  • QUOTE (kaydragon @ Mar 9 2007, 03:12 AM)
    I think I became obsessed with them after seeing the ping-pong instructional video.

I think that's what turned me from a "normal" fan to an "obsessed" one, as well.
    And the federal truth in music projects.
  • Sooo it was last year in the summer of '06 and I had been talking to my friend Andy online about how i wanted to learn the michael jackson beat it dance because at every dance at my highschool (in MA), these two girls bust it out haha so i was watching that video and all i got memorized was the snapping at the beginning haha so then andy said "I know the OK GO dance!" and i was like "hmm..ya..cool.." not having any idea what he was talking about haha and i continued to try my snapping lol so he sent me the A Million Ways dance link and i watched it thinking it was gonna be dumb and that i'd open it for a minute and then say 'oh that's cool' or something...but as I started watching it, i couldn't look away!! also, i was amazed at how much Rusty Ross and my andy looked so much alike! haha so my andy was saying that him and his friends learned the dance and i must have watched that video about 4 times in a row. I went to OK GO's myspace and later learned that they were the one's who sang "Get Over It" which i had certainly heard before but just didn't know who sang it. soo ever since that day I showed all my friends who ok go is and have LOVED them ever since smile.gif I'm glad to say I knew who they were BEFORE the treadmills. smile.gif

~Meg