In this Discussion

Put OK Go on a Magazine Cover

Comments

• haha thanks tongue.gif

vote away, my friend. don't let anything get in the way of you and your voting dream. don't let the man bring you down.
  • Haha I wont let the woman bring me down either.
  • good, thats the spirit haha
  • So the top 15 bands were just announced by Nylon:

Arcade Fire (CAN)
    Bloc Party (UK)
    Eisley (US)
    Ellen Allien (Germany)
    The Horrors (UK)
    Interpol (US)
    Kiiiiiii! (Japan)
    The Knife (Sweden)
    MIA (UK)
    OK Go (US)
    Plasticines (France)
    The Raveonettes (Denmark)
    30 Seconds to Mars (US)
    White Stripes (US)
    Wolfmother (AUS)

All 15 are up to be on the cover of their June/July issue. According to the site where they're listed, we'll be able to start voting next week.

Can I tell you how psyched I am about possibly seeing OK Go on the cover of Nylon?
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Mar 29 2007, 12:29 PM)
    So the top 15 bands were just announced by Nylon:

Arcade Fire (CAN)
    Bloc Party (UK)
    Eisley (US)
    Ellen Allien (Germany)
    The Horrors (UK)
    Interpol (US)
    Kiiiiiii! (Japan)
    The Knife (Sweden)
    MIA (UK)
    OK Go (US)
    Plasticines (France)
    30 Seconds to Mars (US)
    White Stripes (US)
    Wolfmother (AUS)

All 15 are up to be on the cover of their June/July issue. According to the site where they're listed, we'll be able to start voting next week.

Can I tell you how psyched I am about possibly seeing OK Go on the cover of Nylon?

YAAY! Where did you find this?
  • ooo! let's vote like crazy!
  • o wow our voting really worked. i mean in the top 15 of like all the bands in the world haha

o but they're against the white stripes AND arcade fire
  • QUOTE (mundum @ Mar 29 2007, 04:30 PM)
    YAAY! Where did you find this?

MySpace bulletin. smile.gif Well. A bulletin that linked me to a page on their site.
  • WOAH. I had no clue that OK Go would actually manage to get on the top 15! nice. so anyone know where/when we can vote...?
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Mar 29 2007, 05:29 AM)
    So the top 15 bands were just announced by Nylon:

Arcade Fire (CAN)
    Bloc Party (UK)
    Eisley (US)
    Ellen Allien (Germany)
    The Horrors (UK)
    Interpol (US)
    Kiiiiiii! (Japan)
    The Knife (Sweden)
    MIA (UK)
    OK Go (US)
    Plasticines (France)
    30 Seconds to Mars (US)
    White Stripes (US)
    Wolfmother (AUS)

Do you know if those are in order from 1-15? like Arcade Fire is #1?
    wow, I would be so excited if OK Go was featured in NYLON. I think they would do a good job featuring them.
  • QUOTE (crazyfrogg @ Mar 30 2007, 08:41 AM)
    WOAH. I had no clue that OK Go would actually manage to get on the top 15! nice. so anyone know where/when we can vote...?

I'm assuming on their website, starting sometime next week.

QUOTE (mmmary @ Mar 30 2007, 03:55 PM)
    Do you know if those are in order from 1-15? like Arcade Fire is #1?

No, I actually think they're just in alphabetical order. wink.gif
  • QUOTE (mmmary @ Mar 30 2007, 08:55 AM)
    wow, I would be so excited if OK Go was featured in NYLON. I think they would do a good job featuring them.

They were in there back in 2002 (June/July issue). Just a bit of trivia I wanted to throw out.

from http://www.freewebz.com/tnfc/reviews.htm:

What do you call a pop band that references Billy Squier, Adam Ant, and The Cure? Who joyfully interrupt their stage show to act out a scene from Les Miserables--or from their smarty-pants rap spoof, Diamondz? Who choreographed an elaborate boy-band parody for a cable-acces show in Chicago? Who sing songs about ex-girlfriends and songs about lost cats that sound like they're about ex-girlfriends? And who is co-managed by a member of They Might Be Giants? Anything but "quirky," please.

According to Webster's, that word means an unpredictable act or event; a sharp turn or twist. According to the music business, it means a goofball pigeonhole that you can't escape.

"Do you think we're going to get called quirky?" Damian Kulash, singer of the Chicago band OK Go asks. "We're really worried about that. So is the label. They don't want us to enact Les Mis anymore."

But unpredictable twists like that are part of the excitable charm of OK Go; at the same time, it doesn't begin to do justice to the manic pop energy that exudes from the band's eponymous debut album, which bounces smartly between adrenalized anthems and bittersweet slow-burns ("There's A Fire" is a lush wink at The Cure). Clever, yes, but in a way that feels perfectly unpretentious.

Maybe that goes back to their beginning. Kulash--whom the Washington Post has described as "cute enough to date supermodels"--met bassist Tim Nordwind at "dorky summer band camp" when they were 12. "We had a band called Greased Ferrets. I played guitar, because I had played violin. We did one show behind a chainlink fence that separated the girls' and boys' camps. We had a concert flautist who wanted to be a sax player, a guy playing drums on metal folding chairs, and Tim climbing the fence, screaming at the girls."

The two met up again in Chicago after college and were joined by drummer Dan Konopka and Andy Duncan on keyboards and guitar. The ball started rolling pretty fast, as they went from opening for Elliot Smith and Promise Ring to selling out their own headlining shows. They Might Be Giants' John Flansbergh signed on as a manager after they blew him away opening for his own band. In 2000, they joined NPR show This American Life's traveling holiday revue, winning over audiences who had come to hear readers like Sarah Vowell and Russell Banks. As the show's host Ira Glass remembers it, "The band simply overwhelmed the audience with this exuberant buzz of fun and happiness and youth and rock 'n' roll. They were sexy in a way that had a kind of well-scrubbed pop innocence to it, but also was able to move a friend into murmuring backstage, 'I want to fuck all four of them.'"

A deal with Capitol came around the same time, and the band recorded what was to be their major-label debut. And then scrapped the whole thing. "The first attempt felt too self-consciously indie and arty. Like, there was a conscious decision to make every drum sound different. It was willfully left-turny. It would have been called quirky for sure," Kulash says. "With the second version, there's nothing precious about it."

First single "Get Over It" kicks in with a thunderous, hand-clapping nod to Billy Squier's "The Stroke" (or is it Queen's "We Will Rock You"?) that soars into an infectious, arena-sized rush of keybaord exhilaration and an anthemic chorus. Kulash writes clever couplets from the Stephen Malkmus school of lyricism (in fact, he was a semiotics major at Brown): "mediocre people do exceptional things all the time/...could've been a genius if you had an ax to grind" goes the start-stop pop tart "What to Do." Buzzing with nervous energy, "Don't Ask Me" snappily sets the scene of meeting an ex for lunch: "Don't think I've forgotten you never liked that neckals/So cordial, so rotten/'Kiss-kiss-let's meet for breakfast.'"

"The words are so not angry. They're sarcastic," Kulash shrugs. "'Get Over It' was inspired by Joan Jett and Adam Ant and Cheap Trick--there's a log of angst in their songs, but you would never call it angry music."

And then there's "Bye Bye Baby," in which the love of the singer's life abandons him to chase her movie-star dreams.

"It's about my cat in high school. She was kind of a pissy little thing, but she loved me. I went away to school, and when I came back she was gone," he remembers. "My mom found a photo of her in a cat food ad, so I guess she ran away to Hollywood. The lyrics sound so cheesy up front, but I mean...they're about a cat."
  • If they do not make it on a magazine cover I will do one for them lol I was bored today. My internet provider is doing work and my connection has not been staying on most of the day. Im not finished with it I think I will add more stuff to it when I think of something.

• Haha. It'd be so awesome if OK Go had their own magazine.
  • Ha--that's good!

Tim could put his love therapy in print. Maybe Dan could be a food critic--rating Burger Kings across the country.
  • QUOTE (bakersfield Fan @ Apr 1 2007, 05:22 AM)
    If they do not make it on a magazine cover I will do one for them lol I was bored today. My internet provider is doing work and my connection has not been staying on most of the day. Im not finished with it I think I will add more stuff to it when I think of something.

I'd read it! laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Mar 30 2007, 01:32 PM)
    No, I actually think they're just in alphabetical order. wink.gif

hahahah *smacks forehead*
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 1 2007, 10:01 AM)
    Ha--that's good!

Tim could put his love therapy in print. Maybe Dan could be a food critic--rating Burger Kings across the country.

LOL and ILL put my picture of him eating the burger!!! I may just print one up and bring it to the Pepperdine show.
  • i have a love/hate relationship* with nylon, but i'll vote anyway.

*love the designers they feature. hate how much they worship cory kennedy and other trashonistas.
  • QUOTE (bakersfield Fan @ Apr 1 2007, 04:23 PM)
    LOL and ILL put my picture of him eating the burger!!! I may just print one up and bring it to the Pepperdine show.

HA!!