In this Discussion

Chicago 4/2/06

edited November -1 in OK Go
[edit]

Edit: Gah! Apparently I don't know what year it is!! (topic title)

Comments

• QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 2 2007, 07:54 AM)

hehe, i didn't even notice til you said something, don't worry though, i wrote 06 on a check i wrote the other day...
    wish i was going to the show tonight...
  • I used to be obsessed with that Sufjan song... Wanted to drive to Chicago just so I could play that song over and over and get that tingly feeling.

have fun at the show!
  • oooo
    another show... would you invite me along if i mail myself to Chicago? tongue.gif

and that Sufjan felling happed to me also once. My family and I were driving to new york (in a van), and I was listening to "Chicago" for the first time ever. When the "I drove to New York in a van, with my friend" part came up i got all tingallly...
  • ah i love "chicago" from sufjan too!
    amazing how he wants to make an album for each state in the US.
    have fun tonight sheri and anyone else who is going!
  • Not sure if anyone in the Chicago area needs a (free) ticket for the show tonight:

http://rosamundeb.livejournal.com/314232.html
  • Oh, I wish I was in Chicago right about now...
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Apr 2 2007, 01:57 PM)
    Not sure if anyone in the Chicago area needs a (free) ticket for the show tonight:

http://rosamundeb.livejournal.com/314232.html

Is somebody a Billy Boyd fan?? wink.gif
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 2 2007, 05:54 AM)

haha, I noticed that actually. It's okay, I worked on my birthday this year, and every time I had to write the date I'd start to write 3/21/88 it wasn't good, I think people started to think I was losing my marbles really badly!
  • well, as i was possibly the only local at this show from the board, i guess it falls to me to start the reviews....i defer to sheri and jen to fill in the other blanks....

but this was by far the best i've seen them...the sound was great, the guys looked in great spirits; the crowd was clearly there to see both bands. i didn't time the set, but i think they played a pretty decent amount of time considering they were support...dan (and damian off to stage left) even played during one of the silversun pickups songs. they omitted the backdrop screen for this show (i found out later why-no rigging for it) and the show was better for it. the focus was on the band, and not the video behind. i frankly wouldn't mind them dropping it altogether, it's a distraction, and an unnecessary one at that. they also to me anyway, seemed more suited to a larger stage ( the aragon is incredibly wide, i'd forgotten how much), they guys had room to move around, and the stage set up let all four members really be seen; seeing dan without damian in front of him was great...he seemed so much more "on", (got a chance for a little chat with dan afterwards, he said his drum teacher was there and he wanted to play his very best...he succeeded; i'm sure his teacher was beaming)...all four really were incredible...as for damian going into the crowd...the aragon i'm thinking made a variation for the evening...they had a barricade in front, with a dividing aisle in the middle; he ran down the middle of it during the elo cover that took him back about 30-40 feet or so and climbed on it so the ballroom floor could have a better look...

i think i'll leave the rest to sheri and the gang...

jackeroooooooooooni
  • QUOTE (jackie j @ Apr 3 2007, 01:00 PM)
    as for damian going into the crowd...the aragon i'm thinking made a variation for the evening...they had a barricade in front, with a dividing aisle in the middle; he ran down the middle of it during the elo cover that took him back about 30-40 feet or so and climbed on it so the ballroom floor could have a better look...

i think i'll leave the rest to sheri and the gang...

jackeroooooooooooni

Hm, not much to say--too tired, I guess, but want to say quick that this wasn't a variation for them; this is the way it was for the other two shows I've seen at the Aragon (Sept. '05, April '06, not OK Go).
  • Btw, thanks for the have-fun wishes, all smile.gif

Okay, here's my $2--

First, it was really, really great to meet you, Suzanne (sureeyesawake) and Theresa (dietpepsidrunk). You're both really funny, interesting, and fun. Thanks for your very kind words. You are excellent humans. Jennifer, I am astounded by your lung capacity. I hope your trip home was fine. Jackie, I hope we never have to start a phone conversation twenty times in twenty minutes again. laugh.gif

The show was good; I was wondering what it'd be like to see them at the Aragon, since it's so different from other places I've seen them (really high stage, really big stage, significant distance between stage and barrier, tall and oddly laid out barrier making Damian unable to really crowd mingle), and it was weird, but it was cool seeing them there nonetheless, although I differ with Jackie here--I prefer the shows I've seen in smaller places. I think the atmosphere's better. But no big whoop--different places, different things, it's all good. Hm, what else ... Damian said during the show that he'd never gone to a show nor played a show at the Aragon before, which surprised me; he had us do the wave even though it wasn't a wave-doing-type layout; he talked about Kidz Bop; Andy (both him and Tim?) did this really really funny little back-and-forth dance during one of his and Tim's facing-each-other interludes. Certain people told me to yell "Vibrator!" when Damian was talking about "personal electronic devices" before "Oh Lately" and naming some off ...

"He already thinks I'm fucking crazy; I'm not yelling 'vibrator'!"

There was one made-up device (no, it wasn't dirty) he said that cracked me up that I can't remember for the life of me now ... anyone else remember?

Not sure if the order is exactly right here:
    Television, Television
    Don't Ask Me
    No Sign of Life
    A Good Idea at the Time
    Get Over It
    Oh, Lately
    Here It Goes Again
    Invincible
    Do What You Want

They have got the greatest merch item in history now--double-sided OK Go flipbooks!! One side is from the AMW video; one is from HIGA.

Some more pics (sorry for the size of these "thumbnails"--I don't know how to make them tiny like some of you folk do in your posts):

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Apr 2 2007, 10:51 AM)
    oooo
    another show... would you invite me along if i mail myself to Chicago? tongue.gif

Yes. biggrin.gif
  • Ahhhhhhhh
    Sheri, the awesomeosity is wonderful smile.gif

I want to squeeze andy forever too.

And those flipbooks look so cool!!!
    Would anyone like to buy me one if i send them the money???

I would shout vibrator at Damian, if only for the experience smile.gif
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 3 2007, 06:01 PM)
    They have got the greatest merch item in history now--double-sided OK Go flipbooks!! One side is from the AMW video; one is from HIGA. And they have awesome covers with gold lettering, which made getting mine autographed with the gold marker I'd bought yesterday morning without even knowing these books existed a very good idea:

Oh! That is classy awesome.
  • Ooh!! Those flipbooks are cool! They hinted at those over on the Juggling Club. There was a poll of what should the next merch item be, and that was one of the options!

Those shots are great - next time I want one of all four of you!
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Apr 3 2007, 08:33 PM)
    Those shots are great - next time I want one of all four of you!

QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 3 2007, 08:01 PM)

biggrin.gif
  • ooo nice pictures sheri!

that looked like a whole lotta fun. it's always awesome when boardies meet up.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 3 2007, 09:01 PM)
    Okay, here's my $2--

Hey, thanks, that's $1.98 more than I asked for! B)

It was so great to meet all of you guys! Suzanne, Sheri and Jennifer are the coolest! We all hit it off really well. Thank you for giving me quite an adventure and so many memories! YKYOW...you are so thrilled to meet people who know every obscure OK Go reference that you do! Especially when Sheri brought Ding Dongs, not cupcakes, and we told her that her 'snack selection is more than disappointing!" biggrin.gif I think it's a great reality check to go to Chicago for OK Go, and leave with 3 new friends! XO

Here you go, Rachel:
    Our own mini flip book!

I agree with Sheri - that venue wasn't my favorite. The stage was too high and far away. I've only seen a concert with the background screen once before, so I still like it. Your set list is only missing the ELO cover. At the previous night's show in Detroit, they also played 'The House Wins'. Your pictures are so much better than mine!

Certain people told me to yell "Vibrator!" when Damian was talking about "personal electronic devices" before "Oh Lately" and naming some off ...
    "He already thinks I'm fucking crazy; I'm not yelling 'vibrator'!"
    There was one made-up device (no, it wasn't dirty) he said that cracked me up that I can't remember for the life of me now ... anyone else remember?
    I actually did yell 'vibrator', but he didn't hear/ignored me! rolleyes.gif He mentioned PDAs - public displays of affection?

They have got the greatest merch item in history now--double-sided OK Go flipbooks!!

Yay! I bought a flipbook too! Boo! I didn't get to meet Andy and have him sign it. Suzanne and Sheri went on a little walk-about while Jen and I stayed in the bar. Now we all know that Jen doesn't drink, so raise your hand if you can guess the bad influence in this picture. Very poor decision indeed!
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 3 2007, 06:01 PM)
    They have got the greatest merch item in history now--double-sided OK Go flipbooks!! One side is from the AMW video; one is from HIGA. And they have awesome covers with gold lettering, which made getting mine autographed with the gold marker I'd bought yesterday morning without even knowing these books existed a very good idea:

Ok, why didn't they have all this at the show I went to?!!?!? I really hope they put this stuff up on the online store real soon, I really, really, really want one of these flipbooks!!!

I'm glad y'all had a good time, how cool that more boardies met up. You guys should've made those FAC! T-shirts.
    And there you go again with those lovely Andy pictures Sheri. my heart almost stopped! Tell me the truth: do those lips get more scrumptious every time you get close to him? He always looks super adorable *sigh*.

Thanks for sharing your pictures girls!