In this Discussion

Musicians Bringing Home Musicians

edited November -1 in OK Go
Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Damian Kulash of Ok Go and The Indigo Girls have all been confirmed to for 'Musicians Bringing Home Musicians II' a show to benefit the rebuilding of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

The acts will take to the stage on May 27 at Tiptina's Uptown in New Orleans, and in addition to their own slots, are expected to contribute to each other's performances.

Proceeds fron the event will benefit Sweet Home New Orleans, a coalition of non-profit organizations that helps find affordable housing in New Orleans and provides rental assistance for Katrina displaced musicians, Mardi Gras performers and other traditional New Orleans artists.

"It's a great place for musicians to focus on community, both because we owe so much to that city for a century of incredible music, and because the local musicians there need our help right now," said Damian Kulash.

Last year's 'Musicians Bringing Musicians Home' featured performances by Steve Earle and Mike Mills of REM.

'Musicians Bringing Home Musicians II' will take place May 27.

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/my-morning-jacket/28369

EDIT:
Tickets are $20 in advance, $25 at the door. More info below:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...logID=264958586
http://www.futureofmusic.org/

Comments

• amaaaazing. smile.gif thanks for sharing that!!!
  • can't wait to hear more about it!!! thanks so much (again), IH7*!!!
  • Do we know why the other guys aren't involved?
    Weren't invited? Didn't wanna interrupt their break? Just curious.
  • WHAT?!!

damnit! I hate being home for the summer! I would go to that in a heartbeat if I was still in Nola....sad.gif
  • That's awesome of Damian. I wonder how it'll work with him performing without the other guys? And how sweet of him to take time off from his badly needed short break to do this.
  • That is really awesome of him. I went to New Orleans last summer on a missions trip to help out so the city is pretty special to me. Aw, things like this just make me happy.
  • Videos and pics over on okgocentral.com
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Jun 2 2007, 05:16 AM)
    Videos and pics over on okgocentral.com

Thank you so much for that, Sheri smile.gif
    I knew you'd have it!

Does anyone else like A Good Idea At The Time and It's A Disaster even more with the brass instruments???
  • i really really like it smile.gif i was so mad that my computer wouldn't load the streaming video, but sheri, you came to my rescue!! smile.gif
  • I haven't seen it yet. I'm not sure if I want to see DK singing Ok Go songs without Ok Go.... rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (Morrigan @ Jun 2 2007, 12:53 PM)
    I haven't seen it yet. I'm not sure if I want to see DK singing Ok Go songs without Ok Go.... rolleyes.gif

Then watch him sing a David Bowie song without OK Go wink.gif biggrin.gif

No problem, guys!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jun 2 2007, 08:10 AM)
    Does anyone else like A Good Idea At The Time and It's A Disaster even more with the brass instruments???

I don't know about even more, but I thought it was great!! I love those guys. I actually saw them that same weekend at one of their California shows. Those guys can do anything! I saw them the first time last May when they headlined at our Sacramento Jazz Jubilee. They were awesome. In addition to New Orleans funk, they play straight-up rock and roll -- with trombones and sousaphone! It seems weird in writing, but it works! They do covers of "Whipping Post" and "Crosstown Traffic" that get the crowd jumping up and down like at a rock concert. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend seeing them live; they tour all over the place.
  • FYI

I got this from Craig Klein's website (he's the member of Bonerama who's speaking at the beginning of the "Oh Lately" video; he also formed the Arabi Wrecking Krewe that Damian mentions):

"There was also Damian Kulash from OK Go, a great pop rock band that is really really good. We played 2 OK Go songs with him and a David Bowie song called Rock & Roll Suicide. It was really killer and there may be some things coming up with him again. He loved Bonerama and vice versa."

Not sure if this will actually go anywhere, but I thought I'd let you all know.