In this Discussion

Toronto Show 06/22/07

edited November -1 in OK Go
Ok, so this is a bit late (the show was Friday night)... everyone's been writing about crappy concert experiences lately, but mine wasn't so bad... Infact, it was fabulous. I'll just post snippets of what I've already typed up...

Though my friends and I were near the front of the line, we took our sweet time loitering around and getting free stuff from the nowwhat.ca booth. I ran ahead beacuse I wanted to get near the front. I ended up being second row-ish centre stage, which would have been fine with me if I wasn't standing behind the largest, bitchiest girls you can imagine. I could only see Damian through their shoulders by the time OK Go came on stage. But whatever, right? You can't have everything, and second row is pretty damn good.

Anyways, Mae's set was alright. It started surprisingly on time (7pm on the dot), which was fantastic, because I was getting bored of standing doing nothing. I didn't really get into it but I was enthusiastic anyways, it's a fuggin' rock concert. Mae was alright, they weren't fantastic; I guess I just really didn't like the music that much. The only thing I enjoyed about Mae's being on stage was the lead singer's faces...

[attachment=370:IMG_3688.jpg]

After Mae finished their set, they told the audience they'd be out near the merch table to meet and greet with fans during the sound check for OK Go. A couple people left the floor and came squishing back in a couple minutes later, which was kind of annoying, but whatever. I heard this group of girls to the left of me start squealing and pointing to the back side of the stage, where Damian was, in plain sight, talking to Jordan (is that his name? The roadie with the dreadlocks. I'm sorry, I don't remember). A huge smile came across my face just at the sight of him but I tried my damndest not to look like a complete preteen. He disappeared and re-appeared on the other side of the stage (near the back, of course-- it's not like he was wandering around on stage) to tune his guitar. I thought something might have been wrong again since I'd never seen him do that before (tune his own guitar pre-show I mean), but it seemed to go smoothly, and OK Go's set started 10 minutes after Mae's ended. Once again, surprisingly on time. 7:40 on the dot.

NOW, this is my favourite part-- okay, so all the boys came on stage at the same time, smiling and looking gorgeous. Damian got to his place in centre stage and glanced around the crowd before saying anything. While glancing, he looked down, noticed me (right in front of him... fancy that), looked right at me and grinned. !!!! I don't think I'd ever been more happy in my LIFE. OH MY GOD. I waved back, but he'd already looked away by then. My friends noticed, looked at me and squealed. "He remembers you!!" I just smiled.

The boys started to throw tambourines onto the floor. I think there was a total of 20 all together. Most of them were thrown into the back somewhere. The last tambourine, Damian came to centre stage and sort of tossed it in my general direction. I fuckin' flipped and grabbed it. But of course, we're at a rock concert and everyone's a bitch, so the fat girls infront of me kind of bumped me over and knocked it out of my hand. It fell on the other side of the barrier, and they asked the security guard ever-so-sweetly if he might get it for them. Arg. Perhaps next time...

Their set was fabulous as always. There were no projections, which was a little disappointing, but really-- Damian had a lot more banter and interaction with the crowd than he did the last time I saw them at the Ricoh and that totally made up for it. He told us a story of when they did a show in Chicago, this dude in the middle of the floor was staring up at them with huge fuckin' binoculars. They were like bird binoculars, and this freaked Damian out a little, he was thinking about how big he would have been from that guy's perspective. ("I'd be like 8-million fuckin' feet tall. Can you imagine that? An 8-million foot tall me?") Andy and Tim did their little dances together. Damian talked about "how fucking weird" it was that he could actually SEE everyone because we were at a semi-outdoor venue and it was still light out. He decided Canadians were way hotter than Americans. wink.gif Then he told the crowd to indulge his fantashy of seeing a giant shag-carpet of flesh. They played Oh Lately and as tradition, at the second verse Damian whipsered to the crowd, "This is the second verse." Everyone threw up their arms and swayed. It looked really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPD5aHGoPmQ

[attachment=371:IMG_3774.jpg] [attachment=372:IMG_3775.jpg]

Damian starting talking about how nice Canadians are, and how we're probably all thinking "I bet that guy behind me would love to see the show." He told us to fuck the guy behind us and stand up. If he wants to see the show, he'll have to stand up too. Everyone in the stands/on the lawn stood up. It was brill.

They played The Fix Is In. I went nuts. That was my favourite song for about a year. Ahhh.

Generally, it was a good crowd. There were some party poopers here and there (this angry couple beside me-- I told them to STFU when they told me to quit dancing, and this group of 12-year-old girls behind me) but I didn't let em ruin my night. It was awesome.

Unfortunately the tour busses were fenced off and guarded by armed, angry policemen. I tried to chat up the medic to let me in around back so I could talk to OK Go, he said he couldn't. I asked him if he wanted to switch shirts with me so I could pretend like I worked there so I could go around back and he said "That would be so unethical! And I'd probably get fired, as important as I am... I'm sorry, sweety. If you want to give me a free OK Go shirt, I'll take it though." Haha, he was sweet. We talked a bit, but then the angry policemen got angry and told me I had to leave because the venue was closed and "kiddies" weren't allowed in anymore. I said bye to Mr. Medic. I called my dad and asked for a ride, only to find out that his car had died sleep.gif. I had to walk a couple blocks to go find him and of course it was right through the sketchy, sketchy Molson parking lot. (It was entirely empty by now, keep in mind-- so I was kinda scared o_0). I heard a car coming up behind me, so I turned around to make sure that the driver knew I was there so he wouldn't run me over, and of course-- there's Damian in the passenger seat with his window rolled down... I waved, hoping this time he'd notice, and he waved back. AHHHHHh. I didn't get run over, too, so that's fabulous. I have no idea where they were going, or why Damian had his window rolled down, as it was a bit of a chilly night. Oh well. I eventually found my dad without getting kidnapped, someone pulled over to give us a boost, and we drove back home.

There you have it. My first concert report I've ever written blink.gif. Hope I didn't ramble too much. I tried to keep it relevant.

Comments

• The second time I've heard it, and it still makes me grin, Dani smile.gif

Fantashy and flesh: the two greatest words to be uttered by Damian. Except possibly for pamplemousse.
  • yay!

glad you had a fun time, and it seems like this crowd really was a lot better than the other ones on the tour.

and I enjoyed your interactions with Damian, haha.

that was a very good write-up, too. honestly, I think even if it wasn't as good/concise as it is, we'd all still read it. that's why we're here =)
  • That was a great recap! I would have read it even if it was longer.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jun 25 2007, 05:38 PM)
    The second time I've heard it, and it still makes me grin, Dani smile.gif

Fantashy and flesh: the two greatest words to be uttered by Damian. Except possibly for pamplemousse.
    Hehe. I owe you an entire day's happiness for finding that tour diary, by the way-- it totally made my saturday. Hahahaahah.

Thanks, phantommilk! I had a great time and yeah, the crowd was definitely better than the crowds at Sally and Rachel's shows :(. I'm sorry your guys' crowds sucked so much, again. sleep.gif

Thanks ezorvera. I'm glad people read it... I spent so much time writing it biggrin.gif
  • he remembered you! and he waved at you! oh, that's so cool! yaaaay!
    I'm glad a crowd was finally good- it's probly cause it was a Canadian crowd and Canadians are awesome by nature smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 25 2007, 09:28 PM)
    he remembered you! and he waved at you! oh, that's so cool! yaaaay!
    I'm glad a crowd was finally good- it's probly cause it was a Canadian crowd and Canadians are awesome by nature smile.gif
    I know!! I wasn't expecting him to AT ALL. Blew my mind. In a good way, of course.
    Hee smile.gif We do try to be awesome.
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Jun 25 2007, 09:24 PM)
    Thanks, phantommilk! I had a great time and yeah, the crowd was definitely better than the crowds at Sally and Rachel's shows :(. I'm sorry your guys' crowds sucked so much, again. sleep.gif

We're just glad that your crowd *didn't* suck!!!!! Yay for your wonderful happy experience!

(And why are you afraid to write concert diaries - you know we all love them?!)
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jun 25 2007, 11:11 PM)
    We're just glad that your crowd *didn't* suck!!!!! Yay for your wonderful happy experience!

(And why are you afraid to write concert diaries - you know we all love them?!)
    happy.gif

(I think I'm mostly just afraid that nobody will read them and I'll have wasted an hour on nothing)
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Jun 26 2007, 12:02 PM)
    happy.gif

(I think I'm mostly just afraid that nobody will read them and I'll have wasted an hour on nothing)

Aw, don't be- reading people's concert stories is one of my favorite parts of this forum. I absolutely love hearing all the funny things the boys have said and squealing over their interactions with fans. Yours was no exception! Thank you for sharing your experience!!! I loved hearing about that wave- I jumped a little in excitement!
  • ahhh i'm so glad that you had a decent crowd around you! and that you didn't have to sign or shout obsceneties at the bitches around you smile.gif

i love the trend i see in everyone's recaps...

"fuck the guy/couple behind you!! STAND UP!!!"
    and
    "lets do the wave"
  • oh man so awesome!

sucks i couldn't be there, but im glad you had a good time!
  • Oh yay! Sounds like fun... I'm glad you all had a good time.

And I loveee reading recaps! So do most of the people here, I'm sure.
  • awh, thats so awesome. i was there too, i loved it however i was in the 200's i believe. they had a review in the toronto sun about the fray and there is a little on ok go too
    http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Mu...283717-sun.html
    i scanned it too
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 26 2007, 02:45 PM)
    Aw, don't be- reading people's concert stories is one of my favorite parts of this forum. I absolutely love hearing all the funny things the boys have said and squealing over their interactions with fans. Yours was no exception! Thank you for sharing your experience!!! I loved hearing about that wave- I jumped a little in excitement!
    Oh Sally, you're so sweet biggrin.gif I love you.

QUOTE (katieyellow @ Jun 26 2007, 02:54 PM)
    ahhh i'm so glad that you had a decent crowd around you! and that you didn't have to sign or shout obsceneties at the bitches around you smile.gif

i love the trend i see in everyone's recaps...
    "fuck the guy/couple behind you!! STAND UP!!!"
    and
    "lets do the wave"
    Hahaha. Unfortunately I did have to shout obscenities... the couple that was behind me got mad when I was dancing and screaming. I ended up yelling nasty words at them couple times at them because they were soo persistent in trying to get me to shut up. They came to a concert for cuddly time. Who goes to a concert just to cuddle? Do it at home!! I love Damian for saying that. I gave the couple the "told you so" look when he said that. happy.gif Hehe.

QUOTE (agentnumone @ Jun 26 2007, 03:56 PM)
    oh man so awesome!

sucks i couldn't be there, but im glad you had a good time!
    Thanks!

QUOTE (Shalu-lah @ Jun 26 2007, 04:02 PM)
    Oh yay! Sounds like fun... I'm glad you all had a good time.

And I loveee reading recaps! So do most of the people here, I'm sure.
    Heehee, thanks. I'll definitely write another one next time I see them. (Which might not be for a while now -sniff-)

QUOTE (deanne @ Jun 26 2007, 04:09 PM)
    awh, thats so awesome. i was there too, i loved it however i was in the 200's i believe. they had a review in the toronto sun about the fray and there is a little on ok go too
    http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Mu...283717-sun.html
    i scanned it too
    OOoo!! I wish I'd have known. I've always wanted to meet a boardie. Wasn't it awesome?! Did you have to yell at any cranky concertgoers?

Opening for The Fray, and seemingly opening for somebody for the umpteenth time in Toronto over the last year or so, was OK Go.
    Yeah, really sad.gif
  • yess. the show was greatt. i didnt really hear any crankyy's. but then again i sat like beside the asile so maybe i didnt hear.
  • i know this is late... i wish i went, but your recap was the second best thing tongue.gif. And you got recognized by damian, how rad is that?!
  • This is awesome--I'm glad to see you had a good time! Waay cool about the grin and the wave smile.gif

QUOTE (Claret @ Jun 25 2007, 04:33 PM)
    indulge his fantashy of seeing a giant shag-carpet of flesh.

blink.gif

That's a little disturbing. And I think I might like it.

Oh, to wander around in this guy's head for five minutes.
  • Ah! Shag carpet of flesh clip! I wasn't even looking for this.