In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• i'm not just because i don't see the point of puposely bad movies.

last movie i saw was Clean, Shaven, which i think is ondemand under um john water's presents movies that corupt or something. in anycase i rented it. it was extrememly upsettling and one of the most realistic depictions of schizophrenia i've ever seen.
  • QUOTE (Wolf359 @ Jul 16 2007, 02:37 AM)
    Anyone a fan of like really bad cheesy B movies that don't take themselves seriously?

YES. Evil Dead anyone?
  • I saw the Simpsons Movie while down in North Carolina. The movie itself was hilarious and actually pulled off making a great show into a great movie without it feeling like it abandoned the feel of the TV series.

That being said, the best part was a kid around the age of 18 or so sitting in front of us. He hated it, but not only did he hate it, he decided to let everyone know how much he hated it. His friends would laugh and he would announce, "that isn't funny." It was honestly just as funny to watch him as it was to watch the movie. My boyfriend and I were rolling with laughter every time this kid hated a joke. We decided he must be a cyborg. There was no other explanation.
  • i want to see the simpsons really bad.....thats the best part of movies is watching and listening to what other people thing one time i went to go see dickie roberts and when the like 10 year old did a slutty dance he yelled 10 year olds cant live with em cant live without em it was sooooo funny and during harry potter when him and cho kissed someone yelled your a man harry your a man!
    Magnolia. Fucking incredible, has anybody else seen it?

I saw the Simpsons Movie again today, it's still hilarious.
  • Really loved Sunshine. Like, a lot.

(Could have done without the serial killer/zombie dude at the end, though.)
  • er... nevermind
  • Montreal's been having a free outdoor movie night thing at Place des Arts. Last night was Midnight Cowboy. My friend Tyler and I went. We sat amongs throngs of Montrealers, all sitting on the little butt-pillows provided, watching Dennis Hoffman on the screen. I sat looking for the difference between what they said in English and the French subtitles in the dark, cars passing in the background.
  • Amy, tell me..do I have to be rich to have an apartment in Montreal whilst going to school?
  • Holy shit it's super cheap. I must add that I grew up in a suburb close to New York City. So, I am used to rent prices being absolutely huge.

Still, as many people I know have noted, Montreal is like living "in 1992." I'm currently living in a two-story townhouse about 10 minutes from McGill and literally right across the street from Concordia. I live with two other roommates and all together we pay $1400 a month plus utilities (internet, gas heating, electricity). I have the smallest room, so I pay $400/month plus about $100 worth of utilities. Of course, my back yard is a construction site and my house is super old (read: built before electricity was invented or at least widely used), but I have a huge living/dining room and is a generally great space in which to live. Of course, furnishing and decorating is super expensive (you never really realize this until you have to do it), but I love this space. I'm starting to feel like it's my own and really $400/month is not bad at all considering what I'm getting.

Montreal is a very cheap city in which to live and has a really great nightlife scene... and a daytime scene. It has endless opportunities to wander and explore. I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
  • Then it's settled. You and I will fulfill our dream of wearing berets and getting drunk together!
  • Hoorah! Berets for everyone!
  • Tonetoile, if you don't mind me asking, what suburb did you grow up in? Not in a creepy way, just wondering because I too am from a suburb outside of NYC. Or atleast, what county was it? Again, just wondering smile.gif
  • I lived all of my life in Fairfield County in Connecticut. My parents moved there when it was still relatively cheap. They knew it had a great public school system and thought it best for a family. In some ways, they were completely right. It's incredibly safe, there are parks and trees and plenty of outdoor activities for kids, the school system is very good, etc.

However, it's also a bit odd. It's very white, very affluent (my family, who is by no means poor, was on the mid to lower end of the wealth spectrum). I can't complain too much as I made some fantastic friends, but for the most part, my school was full of kids who were very sheltered (myself included) and had time and money to spare (which is why I think so many started drinking/doing drugs). It was the kind of school where everyone had the newest phone, the newest fashion. Some girls got nose jobs as graduation presents. It was mildly warped in this very unsettling way. I eventually gave up trying to look like everyone else which was fantastic because I think that if I hadn't, I wouldn't be friends with the people I am friends with now and I definitely would not be as happy with who I am.

I felt really lucky to be able to leave and realize the rest of the world isn't anything like Fairfield County.

That was a really long answer for a very simple question. Where are you from?
  • O gotcha. I'm from Westchester County, which is pretty similar to what you described. There are some parts of the county that are very, very rich and other parts that are not so much. A lot of the other towns around here are full of million dollar mansions and golf courses. The town I'm in isn't as rich and snobby. The people here aren't super super rich as other Westchester residents, but like you said my parents are in no way poor (or rich for that matter, they are pretty much in the middle I guess) But people try to act like they are the greatest thing ever and that they are the "shit." They brag about shopping at the "higher-end" grocery store as opposed to the regular one (a complete joke) and a lot of the kids at my high school drive new, expensive cars that their parents buy for them (which usually end up getting wrecked, seriously). A lot of people get money from their parents because they're really spoiled. I think people try and act like they are something they are not, kinda like where you're from.

o wow, that turned out to be a long response to a simple question too! haha
  • QUOTE (porifera @ Aug 31 2007, 04:11 AM)
    a lot of the kids at my high school drive new, expensive cars that their parents buy for them (which usually end up getting wrecked, seriously).

Hahaha I know right? Some kid was driving a brand new Audi TT, crashed it, and his parents bought him ANOTHER brand new Audi TT. Whaaaat.
  • ^^ hahaha wow. that's pretty messed up. but that seems to happen far to often, where the kids crash their expensive cars and their parents buy them new ones. ugh!!

This girl I know got a new BMW SUV, which cost a ton of money, for her 16th birthday, and she actually complained because it wasn't the car she wanted. She wanted a little sports car, but her parents bought her an SUV. Wow, how mean can parents be??? hahaha
  • I saw Love in the Time of Cholera yesterday...I'm still angry. Has anyone else seen it?

I had put it off for some time cause I had heard it had received very bad reviews but finally a friend convinced me to go... quite frankly, I don't even understand how could they have fucked it up so bad.

I'll make an exeption to this movie's ability to suck big time. The photography & scenery is breathtaking, this movie was shot at my hometown and all the buildings, cathedrals, vistas, roads, stone walls are actual locations (the brothel scene actually was shot at a house a block away from my family's home). Not only that, but the movie does feel like my city: the colors, the old furniture, the aged buildings, the tropical musty atmosphere is all there... I mean, that IS were I grew up and the movie does a wonderful job at capturing all that... I would have noticed if it had been otherwise. Apart from that, I wanted to cry.

Whomever was in charge of casting must have been horny & deaf cause the female roles were all taken by models whose acting experience is limited to local soap operas. Imagine Thelma & Louise starring Paris Hilton and Anna Nicole Smith dry.gif I mean, not even that, cause Paris and the late Anna actually speak English with an acceptable accent. These "actresses" can't act and can't speak English... you know English isn't my mother tongue and I know it's not so easy to mimick a foreign accent from Spanish which sounds strong and too vocal to foreigners, but in this movie they weren't even trying. Those accents sounded too fake... I mean, Love in the Time of Cholera is a dramatic and sad love story, bad English accents are funny and divert the attention away from the story, plus bad acting makes sad scenes look comic and unnecessarily hyperdramatic... what a mess...

On top of that, some idiot chose to translate Gabriel García Marquez' work literally into English... for heaven's sake, anyone who has ever attempted to learn another language knows languages shouldn't be translated literally, the spirit is lost. What sounds melodious and descriptive in Spanish many times sounds redundant and fake in English (it's true the other way around too... I once attempted to read Romeo & Juliet in Spanish...ugh...).

Finally, the story itself. Out of García Marquez' prolific repertoire they chose the one story which consists in one lonely guy waiting for 53 years for his lover's husband to die...as if... It's no wonder american audiences shunned away from it... this is a Hollywood production, not some independent film for European high-brows. This movie is just too long and too slow, at some points I wanted to shout "B-O-R-I-N-G!" and get out of there. I didn't, it wasn't as bad as the Libertine after all.

Rosa
  • Ugh, I LOVED the novel. It's sad to hear that the movie was such a disappointment.

Have you read Memories of My Melancholy Whores? It's absolutely beautiful. I had a total Garcia Marquez phase this summer. His stories are so beautiful; I wish I were able to read Spanish. I have a feeling that the English translation doesn't do it justice.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Dec 6 2007, 09:50 PM)
    Ugh, I LOVED the novel. It's sad to hear that the movie was such a disappointment.

Have you read Memories of My Melancholy Whores? It's absolutely beautiful. I had a total Garcia Marquez phase this summer. His stories are so beautiful; I wish I were able to read Spanish. I have a feeling that the English translation doesn't do it justice.

Actually I haven't, I read almost all his work during high school up to "Del Amor y Otros Demonios" (which is really entertaining btw) but I'm not familiar with his work afterwards, so I'm missing Memorias de mis Putas Tristes and his autobiography (I'm not planning on reading the latter, he's a notorious lier).

Thanks for the tip, I'll read Memories of My Melancholy Whores this weekend. smile.gif

Rosa