In this Discussion

Happy List

Comments

• QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Dec 12 2007, 06:17 AM)
    - Robin Hood (the BBC show)

This will forever be the only Robin Hood for me

I don't care if it's the crappiest Mel Brooks movie, back in the day (i.e. middle school), my friends and I would go into town after school every Friday. With nothing better to do, oh, because we were in middle school, we would go to the public library and somehow convince them every week to let us Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Literally. Every Friday. They would always let us, which was the weird thing. We'd take over a room with a projector, eat candy from the candy place down the street, and recite the lines we knew by heart.

I was so awkward in middle school (I still am, but now that I'm older, it's just called "eccentric" or "quirky" and is apparently more of a plus, though I'm still totally a weirdo). I was small and pudgy and liked dragons and books and Simon and Garfunkel.
    I've come to realize though that I was pretty awesome, it's just that no one knew it yet.

Then:

Now:

Compare and contrast!
  • I prefer this one:

• QUOTE (tonetoile @ Dec 12 2007, 12:30 PM)

I prefer that one too... smile.gif I loves me some Cary Elwes...

QUOTE (tonetoile @ Dec 12 2007, 12:30 PM)
    I was so awkward in middle school (I still am, but now that I'm older, it's just called "eccentric" or "quirky" and is apparently more of a plus, though I'm still totally a weirdo). I was small and pudgy and liked dragons and books and Simon and Garfunkel.
    I've come to realize though that I was pretty awesome, it's just that no one knew it yet.

Then:

I was horribly, horribly awkward in middle school... I was into Beast Wars/Transformers, and I thought I was an animal. I was scrawny and had chicken legs and giant buck teeth... but... this picture, and your description of yourself brightens up my day. You are way too awesome for words, and it makes me wish I lived in Montreal so we could be friends.
  • Oh truth!
    Guuuh, so many Robin Hood choices!

However, the Disney Robin Hood has a severe lack of Cary Elwes and pre-breakdown Dave Chappelle

QUOTE (katieyellow @ Dec 12 2007, 05:49 PM)
    I was horribly, horribly awkward in middle school... I was into Beast Wars/Transformers, and I thought I was an animal. I was scrawny and had chicken legs and giant buck teeth... but... this picture, and your description of yourself brightens up my day. You are way too awesome for words, and it makes me wish I lived in Montreal so we could be friends.

Middle school was such a weird time anyway.
    And look at us now; we're awesome and probably better off than anyone who didn't have a personality during middle school.
    P.S. I totally thought I was an animal too. I was super into Animorphs for the longest time.
    Come visit Canada then! We can get drunk and recount middle school tales. I have so many. They were so painful at the time, but now they're just hilarious.

Also, the funny thing is, because of who I was then (in terms of awkward and a little odd), it's made my life so much better. I'm friends with my closest circle of friends because, on the second day of 6th grade, I thought some girl was sitting at a table by herself. Because we had always been told to sit with someone if they looked alone, I sat with her. We were chatting when suddenly all of her friends came back to the table. It turns out that she wasn't alone, she was just waiting for her friends to come back. Oddly, they didn't kick me out and I ended up being friends with most of the people at that table, which then led to me being friends with their friends, which led me to where I am now.

Weird, right?
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Dec 12 2007, 11:30 AM)

I don't care if it's the crappiest Mel Brooks movie,

Hmm. I have to disagree. The worst Mel Brooks movie was Dracula: Dead and Loving It.
  • ^^ O man, I loved that Dracula movie. haha
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Dec 12 2007, 06:59 PM)
    Hmm. I have to disagree. The worst Mel Brooks movie was Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

haHA! You are the winner.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Dec 11 2007, 10:26 AM)
    Tom is such a sweetie smile.gif Harry was my fave until he cut his hair (then he waved at me and all the love came flooding back) but now it might be Dougie. He was ADORABLE at their live show.

I know what you mean about the man-love - it's soooo cute! They all hugged onstage too, eee smile.gif

Me too!! NONE of my friends like McFly, and they laugh at me for loving them... so at the moment it's just me and my sister getting all fan-girly. But now I have you too - yay!!!

Yeah, I love Dougie too. kjshgfajkdfgdfg All of them really, I can't choose.
    Harry's baldness has grown on me, but I think I still prefer him with hair haha.

hmm, mebbe we should start our own thread and flip out and be fan-girly all we want, instead of congesting the happy list thread.

eh, oh well smile.gif

QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 11 2007, 08:09 PM)
    This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tByDb7rf1w

MIGHTY BOOSH FANS. GO TO THIS VIDEO IT WILL RULE YOUR LIFE.

<3<3<3<3<3 love!!! That was fantastic, thank you Rachel!!
    ps have you been able to find any of season three? youtube has been cracking down a ton, and tv-links is dead... sad.gif I miss them.

I think as long as there's no Kevin Costner anywhere in sight, any Robin Hood show/movie is pretty awesome.
    Disney, Men in Tights, and BBC versions included.

I was small and pudgy and liked dragons and books and Simon and Garfunkel.

WOW. that sounds like me in middle school too
    well it still sounds like me.
    except now I like other, even cooler stuff as well. Well, sort of. Maybe. Hopefully.
    and the rest too, about randomly sitting with people at lunch... yeah. rings a bell. We had assigned seating during lunch for the first term of sixth grade, and then when they let us choose our own seats I couldn't find my old friends, so I sat with a couple of girls I barely knew, and yeah.
    Except that when we went to the library, basically every day, we didn't even have movies to amuse ourselves, we just acted hyper and annoyed the librarians and skated around the rug floor with glossy bookmarks taped to our feet. haha that was actually pretty fun.

It's always good to hear that other people had similarly bad/awkward experiences during middle school. Makes you feel better.
    (Plus my middle school smells funny, and you never notice it until you go back during high school, and ugh.... I don't know how I stood it for those four years. It's like, chalk and antiseptic over mold. Weird.)

• QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Dec 12 2007, 10:19 PM)
    WOW. that sounds like me in middle school too
    well it still sounds like me.
    except now I like other, even cooler stuff as well. Well, sort of. Maybe. Hopefully.
    and the rest too, about randomly sitting with people at lunch... yeah. rings a bell. We had assigned seating during lunch for the first term of sixth grade, and then when they let us choose our own seats I couldn't find my old friends, so I sat with a couple of girls I barely knew, and yeah.
    Except that when we went to the library, basically every day, we didn't even have movies to amuse ourselves, we just acted hyper and annoyed the librarians and skated around the rug floor with glossy bookmarks taped to our feet. haha that was actually pretty fun.

It's always good to hear that other people had similarly bad/awkward experiences during middle school. Makes you feel better.
    (Plus my middle school smells funny, and you never notice it until you go back during high school, and ugh.... I don't know how I stood it for those four years. It's like, chalk and antiseptic over mold. Weird.)

You sound like you were an awesome middle schooler!

I've come to realize that the most interesting people now tend to be the people who were awkward in middle school. It was so difficult at the time, but we made our way through it and are better and freer people because of it.
  • hear hear.... wink.gif
  • I am not the only one who gets uncontrollably distracted- this kid next to me in the IT room just said to his friend, "I've written 1 paragraph since I last saw you...I've been on facebook."
    You and me, kid.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Dec 12 2007, 05:32 PM)
    You sound like you were an awesome middle schooler!

I've come to realize that the most interesting people now tend to be the people who were awkward in middle school. It was so difficult at the time, but we made our way through it and are better and freer people because of it.

aww, thanks. biggrin.gif you too!
    and yeah, I totally agree. smile.gif

what makes me happy is

Neil Gaiman
    Neil Gaiman
    and Neil Gaiman

oh, and writing a short story about toast for my Tufts application. I love the Tufts application. It's so cool.
  • The roomates are finished workig here and have moved out. No one is set to move in till after Christmas, so I have the place all to myself until I'm done staying in Flagstaff tongue.gif
  • -I'm done with my last paper for the semester!!!!! This is happy news
    -Rewarding myself by coming on here
  • p.s... here is my proof i was horribly dorky...

not yet middle school, but well on my way:

i'm the one in the hat with no neck
  • You were adorable! I totally rocked the sneakers/socks/shorts look too.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Dec 12 2007, 05:19 PM)
    <3<3<3<3<3 love!!! That was fantastic, thank you Rachel!!
    ps have you been able to find any of season three? youtube has been cracking down a ton, and tv-links is dead... sad.gif I miss them.

Actually, I found that video (and more Season 3) completely thanks to you! You sending me that icon community set me off on a LJ quest to find more Buzzcocks/Mighty Boosh fans! I found the Noel Fielding YSDH vid on _booshmedia, and there are several links on the Buzzzcocks community.
  • - SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Dec 12 2007, 10:19 PM)
    hmm, mebbe we should start our own thread and flip out and be fan-girly all we want, instead of congesting the happy list thread.

It shall be done cool.gif

What ages are you at middle school? Because in England, we only have two schools, but I was the weird awkward one towards the end of my first school and the beginning of my high school... that's in the middle, right?

Also - I just had my LAST interview!! And it went really well, I think. smile.gif They asked me loads about how I'd run the National Health Service if it was up to me, and I could talk for hours about that so it was really interesting. Eeeee yay! smile.gif
  • Awesome!! Sounds like you nailed it!! And Thank God it's all done huh???