In this Discussion

The official Album number 3 thread

Comments

• QUOTE (Electra @ Apr 23 2008, 08:31 AM)
    While I really cannot WAIT for the next album, and I'm so excited to see all the promotional pics and b-sides to singles and everything that goes with it, I'm happy for them to take their time. I'd rather wait ages than the guys feel that they need to rush something out that doesn't meet their usual amazing standard, you know?

Exactly!
    I'm so thrilled with the Bonerama collab - I can hang on

I never get tired of their last albums, and I've been playing them constantly for 3 or 4 years. Almost to the exclusion of any other music.
    That's something I haven't done since I was 11 and discovered the Beatles.

• Anyway, I'm looking forward to their 3rd album. smile.gif
  • Chantal from the band Morningwood just posted this on her myspace page:

"Pedro and I had been writing the follow up for our self titled record for some time, we wrote about 2 and a half records worth of songs, when we finally had enough that we deemed worthy of a sophmore effort. Right as we were getting ready to go into record there was a major merger between Capitol Records and Virgin Records, and pretty much everyone at Capitol was fired and most of the bands were dropped.

To our delight, the powers that be wanted us to stay, but as the major labels have been struggling to stay alive they needed all bands to sign new record deals, ones which were only vaguely reminiscent of the original, and so for the past 6 months we have been trying to work it out, legally unable to release any music until it was finished."

Since OK Go is/was also with Capitol, has anyone heard about it affecting the 3rd album?
  • Wow, that's pretty big! I'm surprised we/I haven't heard about this.

I don't think they'll be dropped, but maybe this is one of the factors as to why the album's taking so long?
  • Well, first off, this merger occurred in January 2007. Capitol has been going by "Capitol Music Group" for a while now, as far as I remember, which is apparently what their name officially changed to after the merger.

There's a good bet that if Morningwood has been spending the past several months negotiating their contract, OK Go probably has been, too. If OK Go was dropped from the label, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it in the past year and a half or so. It's possible that negotiations are on-going, so never say never, but, like I said, this happened in January of last year, so...

If Morningwood hasn't legally been able to release new music, there's a good chance that this has delayed OK Go's record as well. But considering the extreme amount of touring they were doing last year plus side projects and time taken for R&R, I'm willing to bet that it has more to do with what they've been doing than with contracts. If they haven't written the record yet (and they haven't, as far as well know), Capitol couldn't stop it from being released to begin with, right? I could be wrong of course.

And dude, if they're keeping Morningwood, they're not dropping OK Go. Come on.

Edit: 4,000TH POST ZOMG. I remember when that was a big deal.
  • I would agree with everything you have to say, Katy, except for one key point -

OK Go is no longer listed as a Capitol Artist on the street team page. (Morningwood is.)

However, I tend to think that OK Go CHOSE to go in another direction and left Capitol, rather than think they were dropped.
  • Hmmm. Since I'm usually so ballsy when talking with them, I'm debating if I want to ask them if they're still with Capitol or not. Like, is it too forward a question to ask or is it just a fan wanting to know. And I'm sure they're sick of people asking when the next album will be out.

Ooh, conundrum.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ May 7 2008, 08:25 PM)
    I would agree with everything you have to say, Katy, except for one key point -

OK Go is no longer listed as a Capitol Artist on the street team page. (Morningwood is.)

But they're still listed on the Capitol Records page, which I think means more than being on the street team page.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Boards and the site, etc., are hosted by Capitol because every time they go down for maintenance, the error message you get is from Capitol, isn't it?
  • They're still with Capitol. In one of the Jonesy Jukebox interviews Damian says something about Capitol now being owned by Virgin records.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ May 31 2008, 09:05 AM)
    I asked him if there was any chance of a show in London or in San Francisco in August for Alice, but he said no and that they were recording, most likely in Sweden again.

• QUOTE (DJRose @ May 7 2008, 05:25 PM)

I know I'm waaaay late with this, but Cheli told me that they just didn't want to use the Capitol Street Team anymore, so that's why they're not on there.
  • wow the big record companies are really absorbing all the small companies...the worst part is when the bands get caught by this, i mean, ok go tried so hard for a big record deal, they just can't drop them they're more famous then morningwood.
    I just hope that the new record comes out soon and that capitol keeps them...
  • I'm guessing that they will be working with Tore Johannson again since they are heading back to Sweden? Maybe not. Can't wait to find out!

• QUOTE (ezorvera @ Jun 1 2008, 07:30 AM)
    I know I'm waaaay late with this, but Cheli told me that they just didn't want to use the Capitol Street Team anymore, so that's why they're not on there.

Ahhh, that explains it! Thanks - Cheli hadn't told me yet.
  • So, think the boys are in Sweden right now?
  • Didn't they say in an interview that they were going to record in Sweden for two months and hope that recording ends November... so wouldn't that mean they would start recording in September? Idk, just my thought. *shrug*
  • High Road Touring says that they're available for shows September through November. So that makes me think that they're working on the album now.

Then again, they could also be on vacation right now, which they really deserve.
  • they are working on the album now, they have said so rather constantly at gigs they were off to do it after there last tour thats now over
  • which means they're relatively close now, in Sweden right?... mmmmmmh tongue.gif

• QUOTE (weirdwolf76 @ Jul 24 2008, 12:54 PM)
    I think I entered at the tail end of hensocks meeting with Dan...so sorry if I interrupted. Dan was in a hurry, so I didn't want to keep him long, luckily I managed to get a quick response as to what the band's plans are as to recording. He said that they have been working on songs and they will be heading out to Buffalo in October to work with Dave Fridmann. I know he's worked with The Flaming Lips, MGMT and many many others, but I'm most familiar with his work on Phantom Planet's self-titled album. I love that album......so I'm really excited about this news!

and so the waiting continues.......