In this Discussion

the sewing thread...

Comments

• Darbie. You are insanely talented.
    At first I thought you'd bought the top and just done the logo! That's awesome.
  • ^^ me too!! that's awesome! laugh.gif nice job Darbie wink.gif you're really talented

I wish I could post a picture from my camera because I do some stuff with beads and I'm planning to start with fimo as soon as I get the time, but I'm kinda glad now that I can't because I'd look ridiculous compared to your talent dear boardies eheh wink.gif
  • Dabs you got skills
  • Darbie, that shirt is the shiz!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jun 23 2008, 03:37 PM)
    At first I thought you'd bought the top and just done the logo!

haha, trust me, if you saw what the inside of the shirt looked like you wouldn't have thought that, it's a hot mess...

and thank you all for the compliments...
    *watches ego grow*
  • Wrist Bands for the Ringo Starr show.

• those are so clever and cute madame!
  • very cute tempe!..
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Jun 23 2008, 02:47 PM)

QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Aug 6 2008, 08:18 PM)

Darbie and Tempe for Project runway! Those look great. Especially the sleeves on that t-shirt. Sleeves are so hard! I sew a little but mostly alterations to clothes, and I used to make skirts because those are easy. smile.gif
  • new shirt!..

(and check out my awesome new dress form in the background, that for once allowed me to make a shirt without stabbing myself multiple times with pins trying stuff on in the construction process!..)
  • That's such a cute top Darbie! I think I have a button like the ones you're using. Just one though, so I don't know what I'll ever use it for.
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Oct 9 2008, 02:24 PM)
    that for once allowed me to make a shirt without stabbing myself multiple times with pins trying stuff on in the construction process!

Ooo! Another find Darbie original! How long did that take to make? What is it made out of? Yeah, I've always wondered how do you get the proportions so perfect when you have to try it on and off. That must be one of the most frustrating parts.
  • Nice shirt, Darb Darb!!!
    Nice new? hairdo, too! biggrin.gif

Miss ya!
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Oct 10 2008, 09:43 PM)
    Ooo! Another find Darbie original! How long did that take to make? What is it made out of? Yeah, I've always wondered how do you get the proportions so perfect when you have to try it on and off. That must be one of the most frustrating parts.

thank you!.. only took a few hours to make (well, a little over an hour to make the pattern, a few days of procrastinating doing anything with it, about an hour cutting the fabric, and then two or three hours sewing it together), 'tis made out of a nice stretchy jersey material... and getting the fit right is definitely the most frustrating part!..
  • i spent all day yesterday turning this:

into this:
  • that is amazing..
  • I love it!!!!! biggrin.gif Awesome job!!!!!!!! I wish I could sew
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Oct 19 2008, 03:13 PM)
    that is amazing..

hehe, thank you!.. it's my favorite thing i've made so far... can't wait to wear it to my next dot dot dot show...

QUOTE (Rebekker @ Oct 19 2008, 04:10 PM)
    I love it!!!!! biggrin.gif Awesome job!!!!!!!! I wish I could sew

thank you!.. buy yourself a cheap machine and get to learning!..
  • wow. Phenom! How did you do that?! I can't wait to hear your stories when you wear that to the next Dot Dot Dot show.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Oct 19 2008, 09:53 PM)
    How did you do that?!

hehe... 1. remove the sleeves at the seam, 2. take in the sides to fit properly, sew, make sure it fits, remove excess fabric 3. cut off the neckline, 4. cut new sleeves (i used a pattern for the sleeves, omitting the top two inches since they weren't going all the way up over the shoulder), 5. sew the sleeves up the side, then sew onto the shirt, 6. measure around your new neckline, cut a strip of fabric that long, and twice as wide as you want it, fold in half lengthwise and sew it together creating a continuous strip of fabric 7. cut four pieces about 14 inches long, and as wide as you want your straps, sew two pieces together down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side, flip inside out, repeat with the other two pieces, press flat, now you have your straps, 8. fold the neckline fabric in half widthwise and pin to the top of the shirt, pin the straps in at the back too, then sew it all together, 9. sew the straps to the front of the shirt using cute buttons, 10. hem bottom of shirt and sleeves... tada, six hours of your time are gone, but you are rewarded with a super cute shirt (which will hopefully impress the super cute band...) tongue.gif