In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• have fun mel and fel, rock and destroy the Mont

welcome back courtney fair. how was your excursion?
  • Oh great, Melz and Felz be leavin. Have fun you two!

My excursion was fantastic!

(Except there was no rappah, Tempe, OR analrapist, so sad...)
  • Welcome home Courtney!!
    And bye Mel and Fel, I'll miss you even MORE, now!
  • Yoko's driving me crazy
    She's screaming in the hall
    Yoko's driving me batty
    with her crazy caterwaul
    She can't sing, I thought she could
    It may be art, but it's not good
    And you know what I think,
    As I sit here having a drink?
    Damn it all, I miss Paul
    Damn it all, I miss Paul
  • So while I was in the states, I watched the news a lot, and I noticed some pretty disturbing things....

1) Fox news is disgusting. In England, news channels and programs are not allowed to be biased like that. It shouldn't be that surprising, I guess, seeing as it's run by Rupert Murdoch who is without a doubt one of the foulest men on the planet, but still. If any significant proportion of the american population watched that crap, then Obama is completely and utterly fucked.

2) CNN isn't much better. Everyone I spoke to told me that it was the 'liberal' news channel but I saw no evidence of that, to be honest. Everything is filled with suggestion, WAY too much time is spent on the positives of McCain's campaign and the negatives of Obama's campaign, and I rarely heard anything that wasn't centred around America. Even the Madrid plane crash story had to feature the fact that the place was built in America. I've been completely out of the loop of British news because apparently it isn't deemed important enough to feature on US news at all!

3) WHY are they allowed to report on an ongoing case and even play phone conversations of Casey Anthony when she's in prison?? That's illegal in England, in order to minimise the risk of the media affecting the case or something. It all seems to provoke a knee-jerk reaction from the public.

4) Every single woman on news shows look like a barbie doll. At one point a newscaster actually interrupted a story to comment on the fact that two of his co-workers had the same haircut. How can they be so shallow when they're discussing murder, missing children, war, corrupt politicians...? It's insane.

I think that Obama's brilliant, intelligent and considerate, but with the news the way it is, there is NO way in hell that he's going to get in. With McCain milking his Vietnam stories for all they're worth (and I swear I will scream if I ever hear him say "my friends" again), Obama's got very little chance. sad.gif
  • I'm definately voting for Obama.
    I agree with what you saying. It's pretty crappy
  • 1)Yeah, everyone knows it's like that. It's made a name for itself by being far right and conservative, and that appeals to a surprisingly large number of ppl. But it's basically a big joke to educated ppl. An infuriating big joke.

2) CNN isn't really supposed to be liberal, just "not like Fox." The liberal news is considered to be NPR.

CNN, on the other hand, is supposed to be more along the lines of neutral and objective, altho it isn't, lol- and that's something ppl like Jon Stewart mock.
    3)Yeah, we're very Americancentric, and while I know we're zealously patriotic, I didn't realize just how much until a French girl in my class pointed it out.

4) Wait, so in Europe, the women on the news aren't expected to be barbies?!

Welcome to America...erm, well, now it's goodbye, lol.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 25 2008, 05:29 PM)
    1)Yeah, everyone knows it's like that. It's made a name for itself by being far right and conservative, and that appeals to a surprisingly large number of ppl. But it's basically a big joke to educated ppl. An infuriating big joke.

2) CNN isn't really supposed to be liberal, just "not like Fox." The liberal news is considered to be NPR.

CNN, on the other hand, is supposed to be more along the lines of neutral and objective, altho it isn't, lol- and that's something ppl like Jon Stewart mock.
    3)Yeah, we're very Americancentric, and while I know we're zealously patriotic, I didn't realize just how much until a French girl in my class pointed it out.

4) Wait, so in Europe, the women on the news aren't expected to be barbies?!

Welcome to America...erm, well, now it's goodbye, lol.

there is an veiw in the media that people on tv have to look good etc like on the news, but as alie says the american news readers are about 10 times more barbie like then any news readers over here!
  • I haven't been on in forever. How's it going? I've missed you all! I'll try to catch up.
  • welcome back =]
  • I'm thinking of taking the Haight-Ashbury Flower Power walking tour in San Francisco! Thoughts on this idea *cough*Kalinda*cough*Alice? Since you are both familiar with the city and my inner hippie, is this a good idea? I don't think I'd want to tour the area alone and the tour is not ridiculously expensive.
  • Haight Ashbury is one of my FAVOURITE places in San Francisco, definitely go. I don't know about the tour itself (although it might explain some odd buses that I saw on Haight Street), but if it gets you on Haight Street then it's gotta be good biggrin.gif
  • I posted new icons!
    I posted new icons!
    I posted new icons!

Go and look: http://smileysweetie.livejournal.com/187450.html
  • UGH. Sorry about that. My computer is going NUTS right now.
  • Note to self: hitting "Post" multiple times when your computer's running STUPIDLY SLOW only makes multiple posts. Hmph.
  • This is the first time I've quadrupled-posted, I believe.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 26 2008, 08:08 PM)
    This is the first time I've quadrupled-posted, I believe.

i envy you, really i do. youre a legend
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Aug 26 2008, 07:52 AM)
    Haight Ashbury is one of my FAVOURITE places in San Francisco, definitely go. I don't know about the tour itself (although it might explain some odd buses that I saw on Haight Street), but if it gets you on Haight Street then it's gotta be good biggrin.gif

Based on Alice's recommendation and my utter love of kooky/kitch/hippies, this street is definitely something I must see and do! The tour is a walking tour done with a guy who has a pbs cooking show called "The Hippie Gourmet." He's supposed to point out all the important 60s and Victorian sites as well as take you to a psychadelic museum. A burnt out hippie pointing out things to me, just to surreal not to do! I like the idea of a local showing me the important points. I hear sometimes bums on the street whispher "buds?" to you and that's supposed to mean they want to sell you those happy cigarettes. My past life was most certainly spent there when I was a groupie stalking rock stars....wait, I think I'm still like that in my current life.
  • School starts tomorrow. Not sure if thats happy or sad...
    I'm excited, but I do love me some summer.
  • this cool guy named garrett.
    hes nice and we have a lot in common
    but we just talk online and he lives in cali