In this Discussion

The Newsletter

edited November -1 in OK Go
For some reason, I'm on the list of people who, even though they SHOULD be on the mailing list, do not receive mailings. So, can one of you lovelies who DID get the email yesterday post the text up here for the rest of us?

Comments

• Which newsletter? blink.gif

damn... I never get OK Go's mail either. rolleyes.gif
  • I never get mail, I've signed up though sad.gif
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ Oct 10 2008, 08:15 AM)
    I never get mail, I've signed up though sad.gif

Hello, Old Timers:

If my calculations are correct, it's been exactly seventeen minutes since you received your last OK Go Newsletter. Of course, I've never been all that good at calculatin' so maybe it's been a little longer. Like you, I've spent the last many months skipping stones in the southern hemisphere. Unlike you, I recently took third at the International Stone Skipping Championships by coaxing sixty-five hops out of a petrified penguin poop in the frigid waters off picturesque Port Lockroy. Everyone can be a winner, but only a few of us champions, people.

But while you and I were living the good life, OK Go were whipping up a whole new batch of songs, and they want some newsletters to go with them. From now on, you'll be getting a Newsletter every other Tuesday, unless something insane happens, like Drummer Dan gets asked to moderate a presidential debate, in which case you'll get a bonus bulletin. ("This question is for you, Senator Obama: Bonham, Moon or Peart?")

Enough small talk. Let's get on to the big news:

* OK Go is making an album with Dave Fridmann
    * Andy's solo album is almost out.
    * Damian is in an Ang Lee movie.
    * You should probably vote for stuff.

The Rock is Cooking.

Happy news indeed. The boys have handcrafted a brand new batch of badass rock songs and they're going into the studio to polish them up and put them on wax. Or tape. Or digitron chips. They're recording the new album with Dave Fridmann in his secret headquarters somewhere in upstate New York. Even if you haven't heard of Mr. Fridmann, you've probably heard his work. He's produced or recorded a ton of stuff, including two decade's worth of Flaming Lips albums, MGMT's debut, and excellent music from artists like Cafe Tacuba, Low, Sleater-Kinney, Sparklehorse, Mercury Rev and loads of others. If you ask me, his best work is ahead of him. By about two weeks.

Rusty Ross Has A Solo Record.

The next OK Go album will come out sometime next year, but those who want new music sooner need only turn a slight twenty or so degrees to the left to embrace Andy's second solo album, Cantarell, which comes out November 11th. Mr. Ross records under the name Secret Dakota Ring, producing songs which, as his bio tells us, hang out somewhere on the "beautifully realized stylistic extremes of pop." The first single is called "The Fade To Black" and it's a doozy. You can listen to it on his MySpace page, read his blog about it on secretdakotaring.com, and pre-order the whole thing from Insound.com and seriousbusinessrecords.com.

Damian Has A Movie Role.

Damian has been cast as a long-haired folk singer in the upcoming Ang Lee movie about Woodstock--the hippie festival, not Snoopy's better half. This may not be the role Damian was born to play (that's actually a tough cop with a checkered past, a heart of gold, and a talking donkey) but it's a pretty good start. Taking Woodstock won't hit theaters until July of 2009 but you should start planning immediately so that forty years from now you can tell all your friends you were there. In the theater. Changing the world, man.

Vote.

Perhaps you've heard. This November the United States will elect a new president. We'll also elect a whole bunch of drain commissioners, but they don't get the headlines. The point is that if you're eligible, you should vote. And after you do, you should buy yourself a cupcake. Or a bunch of booze. Whatever fits your idea of a healthy reward. Of course, you need to register first. Every state has different rules so here's a convenient list of all of them: www.votesmart.org. Do it up, electorate.

Well, that's about it for now. Expect another letter from me in exactly thirteen days.

Take care,

Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore
    Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore@okgo.net

http://okgo.net
  • Thank you, WeirdWolf! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Oct 10 2008, 10:06 AM)
    Thank you, WeirdWolf! biggrin.gif

You're welcome smile.gif

I hope it's true that we'll be getting newsletter updates every other tuesday. I didn't know how much I missed these until I wasn't getting any at all.
  • QUOTE (weirdwolf76 @ Oct 10 2008, 02:15 PM)
    I hope it's true that we'll be getting newsletter updates every other tuesday. I didn't know how much I missed these until I wasn't getting any at all.

I feel like the kid at school who wasn't invited to the secret party. sad.gif If they do send out updates every Tuesday, someone (ahem...weirdwolf76) will have to post these for the rest of us who aren't "old timers."
  • AHHHHHHH!!
    Thanks very much weirdwolf smile.gif

Mega-excitement!!
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Oct 10 2008, 11:26 AM)
    I feel like the kid at school who wasn't invited to the secret party. sad.gif If they do send out updates every Tuesday, someone (ahem...weirdwolf76) will have to post these for the rest of us who aren't "old timers."

I'm on it.
  • yayyy!

thanks, Weirdwolf!

• Thanks so much, Weirdwolf[interesting username]!

And ditto to what Rachel, Rosa, Rebecca, and ihave7stars said. I've signed up and not gotten any mail either. *AHEM* Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, this must be fixed. smile.gif
  • i get all the mails all the time..

you guys all sure its not in your junk folder?

added the address to your alowed list?
  • ^^ Yup.

Looking at the times everyone became a member on this board, I'm guessing that after 2005 [or maybe sometime at/after October 2005], they either stopped adding people on the list or the email-adder-thingy [yes, that's its professional name] went defunct.
  • QUOTE (YoDoofball! @ Oct 10 2008, 04:52 PM)
    ^^ Yup.

Looking at the times everyone became a member on this board, I'm guessing that after 2005, they either stopped adding people on the list or the email-adder-thingy [yes, that's its professional name] went defunct.

I've been on the list since 2003, even if I haven't been on the boards. I used to get mails, then I would get mail SOMETIMES, and now I don't get them at all. They're not going to the spam folder because I check it multiple times a day.
  • then they love me more then all of you =p

• QUOTE (DJRose @ Oct 10 2008, 03:58 PM)
    I've been on the list since 2003, even if I haven't been on the boards. I used to get mails, then I would get mail SOMETIMES, and now I don't get them at all. They're not going to the spam folder because I check it multiple times a day.

Well, that just sucks. Either way, it needs to be fixed, mmhmm.

QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Oct 10 2008, 04:15 PM)
    then they love me more then all of you =p

Heh, probably true. biggrin.gif
  • uhhh what? Damian's going to be in a movie! Hmmmm, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later!

• I used to not get them for awhile, so I signed up with another email address, but lately I've been getting them sent to both emails.
  • Yay thanks, Weirdwolf!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Oct 10 2008, 04:15 PM)
    then they love me more then all of you =p

hahahahahahaha laugh.gif

thanks weirdwolf

My heart just skipped...Damian's in an Ang Lee movie? I just watched "Lust Caution"! yay nudity! wink.gif
  • Sooo, Entertainment Weekly's got a few pictures from the set of that Ang Lee movie. Apparently Emile Hirsch is in it too. I've scoured the pictures for Damian, of course, but I couldn't find him. GEEZ Entertainment Weekly.

And now I've gone to check the IMDB listing (which does not yet list Damian). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127896/

This looks good. Demetri Martin, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Imelda Staunton? Yes please.