In this Discussion

British/American Translations

Comments

• QUOTE (sweetness @ Oct 12 2008, 07:16 AM)
    yeah i dont understand any of what the lovely and talented doctor jenny (theres an art history professor at my school named jannifer, she hatees to be called jenny, but loves to be called jenny, not that thats relevant in any real way) are you a doctor? you should be anyways.

fanny as a name. where does that come from, and do people giggle whenever they say it? i know i giggle every time i think it.

Nobody this side of the 20th century should be called fanny... I dunno I've never heard it other than that french girl lol.

I have applied for med school joe, just waiting to see if I get in lol..... Gonna be THE LONGEST couple of months of my life. AGH!
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Oct 13 2008, 07:23 AM)
    Nobody this side of the 20th century should be called fanny... I dunno I've never heard it other than that french girl lol.

I had a Great-Aunt called Fanny, but she'd be well into her 80's or 90's by now if she were still alive.
  • jen i think you SHOULD be a doctor, whether or not the med school works out, MAKE people call you doctor. or at least president.

whats fanny short for? fannygoria? fannyton? fannysmith? fannynton? i should investigate this matter further.
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Oct 13 2008, 03:06 PM)
    whats fanny short for?

Fannytron... mother of all transformers lol smile.gif

And thanks Joe, if I don't get to med school, maybe I'll do a Phd and still be a Dr, just not one of medicine haha
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Oct 13 2008, 12:23 PM)
    I have applied for med school joe, just waiting to see if I get in lol..... Gonna be THE LONGEST couple of months of my life. AGH!

YAY!! Where did you apply? I went for King's College Cambridge, UCL, Sheffield and Bristol.
    And, by the way, its fucking AWESOME!!!
  • I like the name Fanny, tyvm.
  • if i had a friend named frank, or francine, or fran, id call them fanny. to be frank.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Oct 13 2008, 08:00 PM)
    YAY!! Where did you apply? I went for King's College Cambridge, UCL, Sheffield and Bristol.
    And, by the way, its fucking AWESOME!!!

Kings College, St Georges, Warwick and Southampton - I wanna stay in London cos I do't want to have to move away for uni again, but I don't think I did well enough in my GAMSAT for St Georges, and the others only needed the UKCAT which was sooooo much easier lol. Was gonna go for Hughes Hall Cambridge but their websie was so damn confusing it made me angry, so changed to Kings lol. May be fun for you, but will behorrible for me if i get in - we have like 48 week years *cries* will be worth it in the end though haha biggrin.gif

Its just the waiting game now!!!!

I don't remember being this worried the first time round (think that may be cause I didn't actually care though lol)
  • 48 week years?? Are you SERIOUS?? Mine's only 24 lol.
    The UKCAT is so easy - BMAT was a bit of a bitch and I'm an undergrad so I never did GMSAT. Good luck Jen!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Oct 14 2008, 01:57 PM)
    48 week years?? Are you SERIOUS?? Mine's only 24 lol.
    The UKCAT is so easy - BMAT was a bit of a bitch and I'm an undergrad so I never did GMSAT. Good luck Jen!

Thanks lol!!!!

How did you score on the UKCAT?!? I cried after I did it LOL, even though I didn't find it hard, I didn't think I had done well enough haha smile.gif I'm still not sure but we'll just have to see what happens...

But yeah, 48 weeks LOL. Pretty much kissed goodbye to my social life for the next 4/5/6 years lol

Also you're at cambridge, you only have stupidly short terms smile.gif only had 2 terms at my last uni, was amazing lol
  • Oh, man, I really can't remember how I did in my UKCAT... they changed it all for my year anyway - the 5th section (with the little morals/personality test thing) wasn't sent off to universities anyway and the spacial awareness test was scrapped because they screwed up the marking at it wasn't fair. I got slightly above the average score in everything, except the last one where I got well above average. That's all I remember!! How was yours? I'm sure you'll be fiiiiiiine smile.gif *hugs*

Eeeek good luck with the social life! Yeah Cambridge terms are ridiculously short - last to go away and first back home for the holidays! My summer break is 3 and a half months hehe smile.gif
  • Lol yeah i got above average in all of them, its just obviously everyone is graded using that so assuming everyone got around the same.... aaagh. Doesn't bear thinking about reallyI can'tchange how I did now lol. I hope they do scrap the spacial awareness one, that'd make my average better I think that was one of my poorest ones lol. Stupid shapes!!

I had summer hols from easter through end of september for 3 years, pretty amazing, but adult life hits hard after finishing sad.gif
  • You know, those little throat louzenges you suck on when you have a sore throat or cough...I am to understand instead of calling them "cough drops" you lovely Brits call them "cough sweets"? Is this true?
  • Haha yep. I found this thoroughly misleading when I tried one and found it to be disgusting. Not like proper sweets at all.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Dec 29 2008, 08:37 PM)

Um, were you in the conversation aross and I had about this? If not, talk about co-ink-e-dinks.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Oct 15 2008, 01:27 PM)
    Oh, man, I really can't remember how I did in my UKCAT... they changed it all for my year anyway - the 5th section (with the little morals/personality test thing) wasn't sent off to universities anyway and the spacial awareness test was scrapped because they screwed up the marking at it wasn't fair. I got slightly above the average score in everything, except the last one where I got well above average. That's all I remember!! How was yours? I'm sure you'll be fiiiiiiine smile.gif *hugs*

Eeeek good luck with the social life! Yeah Cambridge terms are ridiculously short - last to go away and first back home for the holidays! My summer break is 3 and a half months hehe smile.gif

he he
    i love "british english"
    such as "year" instead of "grade"
    "scrapped," i mean, it's the same meaning in the u.s., but no one really uses it (kinda' a shame though, i like it)
    oh yeah, and "terms" instead of "semesters/trimesters/quarters"
  • QUOTE (heydoofball @ Jan 1 2009, 09:58 AM)
    he he
    i love "british english"
    such as "year" instead of "grade"
    "scrapped," i mean, it's the same meaning in the u.s., but no one really uses it (kinda' a shame though, i like it)
    oh yeah, and "terms" instead of "semesters/trimesters/quarters"

you mean english..english, we invented it!

its ours!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 1 2009, 12:23 PM)
    you mean english..english, we invented it!

its ours!

Actually, I've heard (more than once) that certain US dialects, such as in the south or deep Appalachia, are closer to what English used to sound like, pre-Rev War, than British English today.
  • and thats why is called the deep Appalachia english, and not the queens english....oh wait.. =p

whats the american vriw on snooker?