In this Discussion

Hitting the West Coast

Comments

• OMGWHAT?!
    UGH. I want to cry.

sad.gif
  • San Diego's been rescheduled for May 9th.
  • Oh hello, DJ Rose.
    QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 20 2009, 12:28 PM)
    That's really exciting for your friend, Setsumi! I wish it were you coming though - you've been waiting to see them for so long!
    It's so sweet of you to say that. I feel so aged because the boys have kept me waiting too long. Look, these wrinkles all over my face. Anyway, I will ask Rin to deliver a homemade card to the boys.

I'm sorry about San Diego and Anaheim. I hope Damian will get well soon.
  • QUOTE (setsumi @ Mar 20 2009, 02:28 AM)
    Hey there!!
    Sorry to interrupt you, but I just want you guys to know this.
    My best friend Rin is going to fly from Japan to San Francisco to visit her friend and see the show of OK GO at Great American Music Hall. Oh how I envy her! If you guys recognize a gorgeous Japanese girl who has beautiful long black hair, please don't be shy of saying hi to her.

I'll make sure to say hi if I see her. And like Rachel said, it's too bad that you aren't coming too!

QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Mar 20 2009, 05:49 PM)
    OMGWHAT?!
    UGH. I want to cry.

sad.gif

Aw. :hugs: Can you still go to the rescheduled date at all?

And this means I'm going to see sick Damian for the millionth time. I hope he's not on steroids again and makes the same SF/steroids joke.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Mar 22 2009, 04:20 AM)
    And this means I'm going to see sick Damian for the millionth time. I hope he's not on steroids again and makes the same SF/steroids joke.

ezorvera - what's that all about? Damian on 'roids???!! LOL
    God I hope he's OK??!
  • QUOTE (bullshituous @ Mar 22 2009, 10:37 AM)
    ezorvera - what's that all about? Damian on 'roids???!! LOL
    God I hope he's OK??!

Damian takes steroids whenever he gets sick, presumably so he can actually perform and such. Then again, that just means you wind up with this onstage:

Boy needs a bed and a bottle of NyQuil.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Mar 22 2009, 04:19 PM)

Boy needs a bed and a bottle of NyQuil.

Coincidentally, *I* have a bed he can use...funny how that works! laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Mar 22 2009, 02:20 AM)
    Aw. :hugs: Can you still go to the rescheduled date at all?

Yes! I was worried it was going to be during the week and I wouldn't be able to but it's on a Friday so all is sexy. (Y)
  • ^^Yay! That's good.

If anyone wants a concert call, let me know what song (or at least whether or not you want a new song) and your number if I don't have it already. If you have any other requests (messages/hugs to pass along), just let me know before 8 AM PST because after that I probably won't be near a computer to check the boards.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Mar 25 2009, 01:10 AM)
    ^^Yay! That's good.

If anyone wants a concert call, let me know what song (or at least whether or not you want a new song) and your number if I don't have it already. If you have any other requests (messages/hugs to pass along), just let me know before 8 AM PST because after that I probably won't be near a computer to check the boards.

Yeah, I may have something for you to tell aross... I'll text it to ya, your number is the same right?
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Mar 25 2009, 05:52 AM)
    Yeah, I may have something for you to tell aross... I'll text it to ya, your number is the same right?

Yep. Same number.
  • Yey, Kalinda! I can't wait to hear your write-up! Have a marvelous time. While I'm here listening to Southern accents, I'll imagine you listening to Ok Go. tongue.gif
  • I finally got around to writing this and I've forgotten half of the things that happened. I think I covered most of the important parts, but maybe Lety or anyone else at the show can help fill in what I missed.

I got to Great American at around 5. I was about 10 steps away from being first in line, but I ended up in the front, so I didn't mind. At 5:30, I heard them soundchecking DWYW and AMW and probably some new songs. Sometime between 6 and 6:30, Andy came out and walked away very quickly before I could stop him. Then Tim (wearing my scarf!) came out and I yelled at him. He turned around and when he saw me he said something like, “Hey! I have to go, but I’ll talk to you later!” Damian walked by very quickly a couple of minutes later. Then at around 6:30, my friend came. There was a lot of waiting for my tickets because the guest list hadn't been turned in yet, which made me worry because doors were at 7. I saw Dan come out, so I walked over and yelled his name. We talked for a bit. Mostly about how I kept going to LA and not seeing him. I saw Cody from Jaguar Love (one of the opening bands) and I talked to him for a few seconds.

Dan went back inside, but he came out a little later and I talked to him some more. Then I think Lety came over to get a picture with Dan. I finally got my tickets and then went back in line. I heard IO Echo soundchecking at 7, so I knew they weren’t going to open the doors until after they finished, so I passed out some stickers and got people to sign-up for the mailing list. They opened doors at around 7:10. My friend and I were in between Tim and Damian, basically where I always stand.

IO Echo came out on time at 8. They were better than I expected, but I’m still not that crazy about them. The lead singer kept doing weird little zombie dances. They played “I Want You” by The Beatles, which actually fit in very nicely with their set. Jaguar Love came on at around 8:50. They used to be part of the Blood Brothers (a band I didn’t really care for), so I didn’t think I would like them, but I actually like some parts of their songs. Only parts though. Like a couple of seconds here and there. The main problem I had with them was that their lead singer was a constant cloud of sweat and spit and he stood right in front of us about 80% of the time. I got hit a lot in the beginning, but my friend definitely got the worst of it. Especially when he went into the crowd and his back soaked her arm. We were pretty much leaning as far back as we could whenever he stood at the edge of the stage and we (or maybe just me) couldn’t stop laughing because huge drops of sweat would come flying towards us and we would try to avoid getting hit. We also moved our bags because he came pretty close to sweating on top of them. Ignoring the sweat storm and the fact that I don't really like their music, I thought they put on a pretty good show. They finished at around 9:30.

OK Go came on at around 10:05. I really like the new songs. All the songs are pretty awesome, but for me, White Knuckles was the one that stood out the most during the show and it’s been stuck in my head on and off the past few days.

I didn’t get a set list and I don’t really remember when they played what, but it looks pretty much like the one that Rachel posted in one of the other threads.

After Shooting The Moon, I looked at Tim and he saw me, so I made a face at him and then he made the same face back at me.

Damian looked really happy to be onstage. That was nice because I can't even remember the last time I saw him look like that.

I noticed Tim curling the ends of his mustache a couple times throughout the show, which made me laugh.

After one of the songs in the beginning, Damian said something like, “We have a rare day-off tomorrow. I am going to spend it by going over to my friend’s house and cooking. Then we’re going to take that food and give it to the homeless. You guys can’t come because the kitchen is very tiny. You can’t all fit in there. And I don’t like you. But if you do want to help out at other events, just go to openhand.org. Also, there’s a show at Slim’s (benefit for Project Open Hand) tomorrow night that you should go to.” (I thought he might be at the show and he was, but I was too lazy to go)

Before What To Do, Damian started talking about how his balls are safe now. I recorded most of this, but I missed the beginning because I held the camera vertically by accident, and I didn’t realize for a couple of seconds, so I had to scramble to switch it around so it would be the right way when I upload it. Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-JhwfMtlg

Damian said that it was their merch girl’s birthday, so he had everyone sing Happy Birthday to her.

The confetti canon was behind Andy, so his side was completely covered with confetti, but Tim’s side was almost spotless.

It ended around 11:25. I went outside and started handing out stickers/signing people up. After most of the people had left, I saw Dan come out, surrounded on all sides by girls and walking into a crowd of mostly girls. It was kind of hilarious looking. Eventually, he moved over to where I was standing, but kept talking to all the girls around him. My friend said that we should take a picture of me giving a sticker to Dan. I kind of held up a sticker like I was going to stick it on his sleeve, but he saw me, so I put the sticker away. He asked me how I liked the show and I told him it was really good. Then he went back to talking to all the other girls. Then he said that he had to go back inside, but he would send the rest of the guys out and all the girls waved and said goodnight and thank you to him.

Dan came out again a little later to put his suitcase in their car and then he went back inside. This all happened before 11:50. At some point, one of the guards asked if anyone had grabbed some confetti because one of the other guards didn’t believe that there was any (I guess he wasn’t working earlier?), and almost all of the girls went over and opened their purses to show him. The guard was really surprised and said, “I didn’t expect you guys to actually have some.” Then everyone explained that it just fell in there and that no one actually grabbed it and kept it (but I'm pretty sure the boy next to me did).

Skipping the parts where I’m complaining a lot and girls are giving up and leaving, it’s now around 12:40. Tim, Andy, and Damian finally come out.

Tim went over to their car to put his stuff away. Most of the girls had gathered near Damian and Andy, so I walked around them and went to Tim. He gave me hug and then I talked to him for a bit, mostly about the scarf. Then some girls came over, so I let them have Tim and headed over to Andy to deliver a message for Becky. I also talked to him about Ser Biz stuff. I was tired and had to get up early the next day, so I didn't bother waiting for Damian. I said bye to Tim and Andy waved at me while my friend and I were driving past the front of the venue.

I took a total of one picture and three videos. I really wanted to just watch the show, so I apologize for the lack of things to look at, but there didn't seem to be anything really different from the other shows, except Damian's story about his balls, which I did record.

Here's the picture:

And here are the other videos:
    Back From Kathmandu
    Last Leaf

And here's a video I found from the Slim's show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32q0L0SDvkg
    And a review of that show: http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2009/0...llo_steve_e.php
  • Excellent write up K!!! I'm so happy to hear that everyone loves their new stuff. Sorry to hear you didn't get to talk to Damian. Still, excellent Tim time!!

And thank you for delivering that message. We'll see on April 23rd if aross remembers.
  • That pants segue is ridiculous, and I laughed my behind off. I am listening to KAT right now, and it makes me so happy. Thank you for getting the whole song. The version I have cuts off. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Mar 30 2009, 06:05 PM)
    Excellent write up K!!! I'm so happy to hear that everyone loves their new stuff. Sorry to hear you didn't get to talk to Damian. Still, excellent Tim time!!

And thank you for delivering that message. We'll see on April 23rd if aross remembers.

I didn't really care about talking to Damian. Dan hugs and seeing Tim wear my scarf was all I wanted and I got both of those things!

You're welcome! I think he'll remember and you can thank me by giving Dan a hug from me when you see them.

QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 30 2009, 06:07 PM)
    That pants segue is ridiculous, and I laughed my behind off. I am listening to KAT right now, and it makes me so happy. Thank you for getting the whole song. The version I have cuts off. biggrin.gif

I know! I'm soooo happy I got my camera out in time. It's been a long time since we've heard any story about Damian's pants.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Mar 30 2009, 08:31 PM)
    I didn't really care about talking to Damian. Dan hugs and seeing Tim wear my scarf was all I wanted and I got both of those things!

You're welcome! I think he'll remember and you can thank me by giving Dan a hug from me when you see them.

Give Dan a hug? Will do!!
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Mar 30 2009, 08:41 PM)
    The main problem I had with them was that their lead singer was a constant cloud of sweat and spit and he stood right in front of us about 80% of the time.

EWW.

Things I'm Glad Didn't Happen To Us On Our Roadtrip #1 : Overly-sweaty frontmen.
  • Looks like Seattle went well:

http://www.seattlesoundmag.com/2009/03/ok-go-awes-chop-suey/

(Aside from the dance video joke, this is a really good review)
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Mar 30 2009, 08:41 PM)
    Before What To Do, Damian started talking about how his balls are safe now. I recorded most of this, but I missed the beginning because I held the camera vertically by accident, and I didn’t realize for a couple of seconds, so I had to scramble to switch it around so it would be the right way when I upload it. Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-JhwfMtlg

Love that video! Awesome video-taking skills Kalinda!