In this Discussion

the sewing thread...

Comments

• halloween costume!.. alice from resident evil...

first the stunning milla jovovich in the dress:

now my attempt to recreate the dress:

my machine did not agree with that fabric at all...
  • Darbie! Please make me all my costumes wub.gif
  • i started but never finished several sewing projects in the past few months... though today i finally finished one!..

all 10 attempts to get a picture of me wearing the shirt turned out blurry, but i wanted to demonstrate that those were pockets on the front of the shirt, so, blurry torso shot:
  • DARBIE, I LOVE IT!

wub.gif
  • Darbie, this stuff is really pretty cool! I didn't know you could sew. Actually, this is rather advanced, since you're making stuff up as you go AND using JERSEY KNIT fabrics. I could never get that stuff to lay right - I guess you have to have the tension just right on your machine. And the right needles, too. Anyway, creating stuff from scratch or from an idea in your head is the most difficult but also the most satisfying.

My big sewing success is that I made my prom dress: a strapless, full-length black satin sheath with a dramatic flare from the knee to the floor. My aunt helped me. We used two different patterns for the bodice and the skirt, then I put them both on, she pinned them, and I sewed them together. A year later I was watching Sleeping Beauty (my favorite animated Disney film) and realized that the inspiration for the dress was Maleficent's badass robes. I even made the sleeves end in points over the backs of my hands instead of straight across the wrist like in the pattern.

Anyway, I think your stuff is cool, and I think you should definitely keep doing it!
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jul 10 2009, 11:47 PM)
    Darbie, this stuff is really pretty cool! I didn't know you could sew. Actually, this is rather advanced, since you're making stuff up as you go AND using JERSEY KNIT fabrics. I could never get that stuff to lay right - I guess you have to have the tension just right on your machine. And the right needles, too. Anyway, creating stuff from scratch or from an idea in your head is the most difficult but also the most satisfying.

thank you!.. a ball point needle is key to sewing knits...
  • darbie, your creations are amazing! Not to mention inspiring! I have always loved creating and altering my own clothes! great stuff! smile.gif
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Jul 8 2009, 04:55 PM)
    i started but never finished several sewing projects in the past few months... though today i finally finished one!..

I WANT ONE OF THESE!!!!!
  • just made this one yesterday... it's pretty basic:

• I made my halloween costume this year: (besides the vest...)

I love halloween! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (hensocks @ Oct 26 2009, 11:41 PM)
    I made my halloween costume this year: (besides the vest...)

hehe, that's awesome!..
  • QUOTE (hensocks @ Oct 27 2009, 12:41 AM)
    I made my halloween costume this year: (besides the vest...)

I love halloween! biggrin.gif

hahaha thats amazing!

• Thanks! biggrin.gif
    The only problem is that I can't really see through the mask all that well, and the hooves are high-heels so I'm only a little scared of breaking my limbs... tongue.gif
  • Yeah, nice job, hensocks!

And gorgeous (as always), Darbie!

You both make me wish I could sew better. I get the job done... but I'm not sure if I could make a whole costume! Go you all!
  • i ended up making my costume as well... i originally had no plans for halloween, then my friend calls me the night before and asks if i want to get dressed up and go out, i stated i had no costume, she told me to get to work, haha... so i spent about 7 hours stitching together fabric scraps i had lying around so i could be a ragdoll, i kinda felt like i was on an episode project runway... the results:

• You made a dress in a mere 7 hours ohmy.gif
    Wow, you rock, darbie! That's fantastic! tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Nov 1 2009, 11:14 PM)
    i ended up making my costume as well... i originally had no plans for halloween, then my friend calls me the night before and asks if i want to get dressed up and go out, i stated i had no costume, she told me to get to work, haha... so i spent about 7 hours stitching together fabric scraps i had lying around so i could be a ragdoll, i kinda felt like i was on an episode project runway... the results:

wow...I can't even make a SKIRT in a WEEK... mellow.gif
  • I went to see The Killers in concert a few months ago...
    imageimage
  • ^^^ Seriously? Incredible.

So, umm, if I ever become a professional musician, will you guys design for me?
  • super spectacular hensocks!..