In this Discussion

December 8th Benefit, LA

edited November -1 in OK Go
Hey LA fans - this is something you *need* to see. Clearly.

http://la.metblogs.com/2009/11/30/tenaciou...t-december-8th/

Remember the bad ass two night benefit show I mentioned a couple weeks ago, headlined by members of the Pixies, Michael Penn, Flea, Tim & Eric, and more?

Well, it just got a whole lot badder asser.

Now added to Tuesday, December 8th rock lineup: Tenacious D, members of OK GO, and The Muff’s Kim Shattuck.

And some inside bits on the evening’s set list: “Weird Al will be performing ‘I Bleed’ from (the Pixies album) “Doolittle” with member of the Pixies and Flea on bass. David and Kevin from Love & Rockets will perform ‘All In My Mind’ with Black Francis (as featured on the recent Love & Rockets tribute album).”

To repeat, all male members of the Pixies (Black Francis, Dave Lovering, Joey Santiago), Tenacious D (Jack Black and Kyle Gass), Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Love & Rockets, She Wants Revenge, Weird Al Yankovic, and Grand Duchy (Black Francis and Violet Clark), all on one stage, December 8th, 7pm… for only $20!

Weird Al. Singing "I Bleed". With The Pixies. Minus Kim, yes, but WITH FLEA ON BASS?!?!?!?!

If I weren't in the midst of one the busiest times ever, I would be looking into flying out for this.

Comments

• I noticed it said "members of OK Go". I wonder which guys will be there.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Dec 1 2009, 08:14 AM)
    I noticed it said "members of OK Go". I wonder which guys will be there.

Yeah, what does that mean? Curious...
  • Since they're now posting it on the official Facebook page, I think it's safe to assume that the band is playing as a whole. The charity that it benefits is called Winston's village, and it is registered with the causes application on Facebook. Here is a link to the charity: http://media.causes.com/ribbon/602970

• They will be streaming this show live.

Click it: http://www.therocknrollsupershow.com/news/...and-more-l.html

Show starts at 8pm PST.
  • Yay! I'm glad it will be streamed because I felt bad we wouldn't be able to make it to a concert of theirs that's just so close by.
  • I couldn't get a good connection to the stream and gave up a couple of minutes in.

So I have good news and bad news. The good news is that there are a few clips of the show available on http://www.therocknrollsupershow.com, including Weird Al singing "I Bleed", which is mindbendingly crazy. Well, he doesn't like do the whole Weird Al thing, it's just him singing the song and doing a rather good job I might add. Still, mindbendingly crazy.

The bad news is that there does not appear to be any footage of OK Go streaming on the site today. I don't know if that will change, but it's definitely worth keeping tabs on.
  • I tried watch it but I just couldn't stay awake. I did catch an amazing documentary on TV before the concert started, though. "Between The Folds"
  • Thank you, Youtube, for existing. Here, everyone, is a link to a video of OK Go with Black Francis doing my current favorite Pixies song - "Debaser".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9No15EnUaF0...toshare_twitter

And Damian is wearing the WTF clothes. Oh please please please let the East Coast touring start again soon.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 9 2009, 12:38 PM)
    Thank you, Youtube, for existing. Here, everyone, is a link to a video of OK Go with Black Francis doing my current favorite Pixies song - "Debaser".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9No15EnUaF0...toshare_twitter

And Damian is wearing the WTF clothes. Oh please please please let the East Coast touring start again soon.

They said they'll be back in February. That's less than 2 months away now. Can you wait until then? I know I can't, but can you?

Also, stupid work with it's stupid blocking of YouTube. Must wait 'til I get home to see vid. From what I read on Twitter, aross did something awesome, unless Travis is just being Travis. Only 5 more hours.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Dec 9 2009, 02:43 PM)
    They said they'll be back in February. That's less than 2 months away now. Can you wait until then? I know I can't, but can you?

Also, stupid work with it's stupid blocking of YouTube. Must wait 'til I get home to see vid. From what I read on Twitter, aross did something awesome, unless Travis is just being Travis. Only 5 more hours.

I can wait. I'll have to. ::Sigh:: And I have all of you and the album release itself in the meantime. tongue.gif Oh, and I have tickets to an absolutely ridiculously fangirlish show on Jan. 15 in my area. So ridiculous, I'm ashamed to tell you all who I will be seeing. But trust me. RIDICK.

As for the ARoss appearance in the video, umm, I looked really hard for him, but I think that when they said "members of OK Go", they meant "everyone but ARoss." It could've been the angle of the shot, but I didn't see him on stage at all! I think Travis was just congratulating the band in general? Dunno (about you, but I am un chien andalusia!).
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 9 2009, 02:34 PM)
    As for the ARoss appearance in the video, umm, I looked really hard for him, but I think that when they said "members of OK Go", they meant "everyone but ARoss." It could've been the angle of the shot, but I didn't see him on stage at all! I think Travis was just congratulating the band in general? Dunno (about you, but I am un chien andalusia!).

It looks like he's standing next to Tim in this pic:

I could be wrong of course.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Dec 9 2009, 03:20 PM)
    I could be wrong of course.

Becky! You are spot on. It is Aross. Good eye! I went to the show last night and for those of you who felt bad about missing the guys, they were only on for ONE song,, no Damian stage banter at all - in fact, none of them spoke a word. They ran off stage immediately after their song with Frank Black.
    It was Andy, Damian and Tim.
    Don't get me wrong, it was amazing to see them! But it was soooooooo short. I wanted more! The concert was super long and the guys went on fairly late.
  • Wow, Black Francis looks round as hell in that pic.
  • I'm glad we have footage of their one song. It's Da Bomb! Does anyone know how much $$ was raised for baby Winston?
  • Hold on, hold on!
    I did watch it streaming last night and they did TWO songs. Tbe first song was was my favourite Frank Black song, Headache. Damian sang with Frank Black and Tim and Andy sang harmonies.

and Rachel....don't make me search pollstar. Confess now. It will feel good.
  • QUOTE (planet-keri @ Dec 10 2009, 03:51 AM)
    Hold on, hold on!
    I did watch it streaming last night and they did TWO songs. Tbe first song was was my favourite Frank Black song, Headache. Damian sang with Frank Black and Tim and Andy sang harmonies.

I THOUGHT they were going to do Headache too! And I know Dan was drumming for both Headache and Debaser. But Becky you are correct! It's too bad that you can't see Andy on the video.
  • Here's a better/closer vid of Debaser. And this time you can see aross. I'm pretty sure he's wearing the same sweater he wore for the SBR Holiday Party and Revue 2008. (Why do I remember these things?)