In this Discussion

Oh Hey Aussies?

edited November -1 in OK Go
http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?i...round_Weekender

"Playground Weekender is on February 18-21 at Wiseman’s Ferry, north of Sydney." So start booking your tickets, folks.

Comments

• I'll finally be eighteen and they're not playing in my city. Goddamn it I wish I was born four years earlier.
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ Jan 17 2010, 06:35 PM)
    I'll finally be eighteen and they're not playing in my city. Goddamn it I wish I was born four years earlier.

At least you'll be 18, I was so cut last time when they didn't have any under 18 gigs. Looks like its gonna happen again. sad.gif

What do you think are the chances they'll play some type of sideshow for the youngins?
  • Doesn’t look like it no under 18s gigs. I’ve never been more devastated in my life(except for in 2007 when they came and it was over 18s). For Sydneysiders at least, you have to be 18 to see them, the case is a bit different for those froms Melbourne. It just all doesn’t seem fair.
  • Aww, I wish I could give my extra...twenty years or some...to under 18s.

Rose, thank you for the info!
    It means there's a possibility that OK GO might come to Japan before or after the festival. You know, the fare from Australia to Japan is cheaper than the one from USA.
  • aww, thanks so much setsumi it makes me feel a little better about the impending over 18's dates.

Also, i was wondering what are the chances of me showing up at the over 18s venue and hanging around outside hoping to see them either before or after the gig. It is a realatively small venue and i know they use to realy be into fans, but i've heard due to the numbers this has slowed down a bit.
    Would it be worth going jsut to see?
  • QUOTE (tahandpah @ Feb 3 2010, 01:42 AM)
    Also, i was wondering what are the chances of me showing up at the over 18s venue and hanging around outside hoping to see them either before or after the gig. It is a realatively small venue and i know they use to realy be into fans, but i've heard due to the numbers this has slowed down a bit.
    Would it be worth going jsut to see?

I don't think it's so far-fetched an idea, but even better, why don't you find out if they'll let you in with an adult? I know no one wants to be seen at the show with their mom, but better that than not getting to go at all.

But yeah, the guys are really nice about meeting fans. Be respectful to them and they are the nicest guys on the planet.
  • *sees dates on OK Go's facebook page*

*throws up in excitement*

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

How have I not found this out until now? I am so seriously ashamed of myself.

Will be there with bells on. EFFING bells on!!! Wheeeee!

• QUOTE (DJRose @ Feb 4 2010, 12:24 AM)
    I don't think it's so far-fetched an idea, but even better, why don't you find out if they'll let you in with an adult? I know no one wants to be seen at the show with their mom, but better that than not getting to go at all.

But yeah, the guys are really nice about meeting fans. Be respectful to them and they are the nicest guys on the planet.

I would go with anyone, my conservative grandfather included but unfortunately its a liscenced venue (which will be serving alchol) and even if i was chained to my mother and father its is apprantly illegal. I have begged this venue on several other occasions and apprantly this is no excpetion sad.gif
    Thansk for the suggestion, though.
  • The security at The Hi-Fi in Melbourne is pretty nazi, if it's an overage thing, it's overage.

Next of all, Australia is one of the worst places for underage or all ages gigs, there are becoming fewer and fewer venues that will cater for underage patrons, and all the venues that are notable for their inclusion of underage gigs are closing down... So If you're touring Australia, the only way to book underage shows is to book a venue with a capacity of 200, or 200,000... frankly, OK Go would overkill the small venue, and they will lose money on the large venue... It really sucks
  • RWS, at the The Hi-Fi in Melbourne i'm pretty sure you can get in with parental supervision, becasue i was reserching how much it would cost me to catch a plane there form sydney and pay for both tickets for my dad and me (too much sad.gif ).

Yeah, i totally udnerstand why its the case but there are still some pretty decent places in Sydney that could support them, perhaps the Metro, Enmore or Hordon Pavillion. I'd be willing ot pay double the price (to overcome any money lost by the big venues) and i'm sure most devout fans would, its these people who should be at the shows. Not people who show up higly intoxicated 5 minutes prior and by tickets at the door.
  • I almost practically live at the Hi-Fi, at one stage the security guards didn't check my ID, his response was "you again?" another was "wow, you have a weird taste in music!" this was because I went to see a punk/metal band play and a week later went to see a really electro-dance band... Anyways, so if you want some inside scoop on the place, I'm your guy! But I digress, the only way you can get in to the Hi-Fi if you're underage is if A) the band sneaks you in through the back or cool.gif they close down the bar... Which for profitable reasons, they won't want to do
  • Hahaha thanks RWS thats sounds amazing, almost how the Metro used to be back in '06 and '07 when they had gigs for 20 bucks each week.
    Unfortunately i'll just have to wait the year or so untill i'm old enough and maybe by then they'll be back?
  • No doubt, this is the 2nd time they've come to Australia, and there's been alot bigger reception for this time time around.

I really hope they hang around after the Melbourne show because last time they were in a massive rush to go to the Byron Bay music festival, i think, some music festival around that area, so they didn't have time to stick around and meet and greet the fans... but i did get a photo with Tim.

Anyways, this time Melbourne is their last stop, so hopefully they wont be in as much pressure to leave as they were last time
  • It's OK Go Day for me today! I get to see them tonight woo hoo!!
  • Sooooo, how did it go???
  • Right!!

Do we still do gig write ups here anymore? I don't know. But I'll do one anyway because I feel as if it's keeping in tradition smile.gif

Hi-Fi Bar Brisbane, Wednesday 17th.

So my friend and I got to the venue early and decided to kill some time by having a drink out on the deck thingy outside of the bar. As we were chatting, I had a really weird stalker moment wherein I looked across the street and Andy and Tim were walking along in their street clothes. I resisted the urge to yell something at them while my friend peered closely at what was in Andy's hand and asked "Is that a sausage roll?" before wondering where he got it from and whether we had enough time so that she could go and get one too as she was quite hungry and sausage rolls are delicious. But I digress. Anyways, on with the show itself.

The opening band was Hungry Kids of Hungary who was really, really good. They're an Aussie band that I'd never heard play before. They were fun and my friend and I enjoyed the leprechaun-like dancing of the tambourine/keyboard player while trying not to get sprayed with his sweat as he played that tambourine with vigour. They threw frisbees out to the crowd which unfortunately hit some poor guy in the face. They warned people to use their hands to shield their faces as opposed to catching any frisbees that should come winging their way.

By this point, everyone was very excited for OK Go. I got to be right up at the front at the barrier so I wouldn't get squished by the crowd, but there wasn't much chance of this anyone as it wasn't very squishy, people-wise.

OK Go started with 'White Knuckles' and sprayed out confetti out of the confetti-cannon. I was very happy. So was the girl next to me who exclaimed to her friend after the first song "And this is just the beginning!" I couldn't agree with her more.

All in all OK Go delivered a very energetic and fun show with lots of audience participation. Damian had us wave our gizmos with lights during the slow part of 'Oh Lately It's So Quiet' and got us to sing a part of TTSP while Tim judged our performance. According to Mr. Nordwind, while Wednesday is the new Sunday, we were bad even for the New Sunday.

They also played WTD with handbells, with Damian explaining that he was bringing a little religion to OK Go land and us heathens. I thought it was very cool and very well done and I wonder how long it would've taken them to figure all the notes out and the timing and whatnot! It was a lovely new spin on an old song.

I like it when they don't go too overboard with the instruments and just strip their songs down to let the melody shine through, because their songs really are quite pretty. Everyone left the stage bar Damian for him to do a lovely acoustic version of 'Last Leaf' and not be a 'sarcastic asshole' for three and a half minutes. It is at this point where my speech pathology student friend and I marvelled at the range of Damian's voice and how perfectly on key he was, especially when taking into consideration his screams and yowls in 'Skyscrapers' and DWYW. Then the nerdier side of our speech pathology brains wondered what his vocal cords must look like under a stroboscopy during one of his Prince-like yowls and felt sorry for the strain on his larynx. We then agreed that we would not be complaining if he required our services for any voice therapy he may require in the future.

I enjoyed the songs they played from OTBCOTS more than the songs from their previous two albums. I don't know why. I really wasn't expecting that. Back from Kathmandu was especially nice.

Their 'encore' had them wearing their light up OK GO jackets which was very very very cool. Especially as the stage was all dark and with the smoke machine. And they also had their furry laser guitars which were amazingly awesome.

Throughout the whole show I was bouncing up and down happily and my cheeks started to hurt from grinning like a maniacal fool. It was the best night ever and I was very happy.

If anyone is friends with the band on facebook, I'm in the crowd picture that Damian took of the crowd. I only just got in. I'm in the front row on the far left. My friend just got chopped out hahahaha.

I didn't take any pictures because my camera is not a proper camera and takes fuzzy pictures when it's dark. I wish I could've gotten a picture of Tim's schoolboy get-up. He was channeling that guy from AC/DC whose name has conveniently escaped my head. Instead I took a whole bunch of videos. I made especial sure I got them doing "I Want You So Bad..." because that is my favourite song from their new album.

And that was my night with OK Go smile.gif
  • QUOTE (LolaBert @ Feb 20 2010, 11:56 AM)
    I wish I could've gotten a picture of Tim's schoolboy get-up. He was channeling that guy from AC/DC whose name has conveniently escaped my head.

Angus Young?

And you call yourself Australian tongue.gif
  • Yes that's right! I knew it was Angus something but I totally had a mind blank!! Oops!
  • LolaBert, thanks for sharing! Why are the people on FaceBook asking Damian about his head?
  • Lola, thanks for the write-up! I love gig stories.