In this Discussion

Please report new message board bugs and annoyances here

Comments

• beckysioux said:

Also, when I'm reading the boards, but not signed in, when I go to login, I'm sent to Wordpress and have to go back to the main page and then back to the boards. Yeah, I know, I'm complaining about a few clicks, but it would be easier to be sent back to the same page you came from versus having to navigate back.

This is happening to me also and it's kind of annoying. 

The background that I see is like the background that is on the "NEWS" page. Like this. I do find it makes the words a little difficult to read.

• When you log out, you're taken to an Error 404 page. Nothing big, just thought you'd like to know.
  • The system was taking my avatar photo from Gravatar, but stopped for some reason.  So then when I tried to upload one of my own, it froze on the update profile.  When I tried to start over, it kept telling me that I couldn't upload the file because it already exists.  I tried again with a second photo and the same thing happened.

• beckysioux said:Found another thing. Can the option of previewing the post before posting be available again?

Hey, actually, I think there is a preview option. It's the one that looks like a paper with a magnifying lens or something like that. 

• YoDoofball! said:
    beckysioux said:Found another thing. Can the option of previewing the post before posting be available again?

Hey, actually, I think there is a preview option. It's the one that looks like a paper with a magnifying lens or something like that. 

It is, but it doesn't show how the message will appear once posted. It just shows what I see now in the "Reply to Topic". As in the quotes above what I'm posting just shows as it does right now (lines separating the quotes) versus how it will appear when it goes on the board (separated in boxes).

I guess I'm looking at the minutia instead of the grand scheme.

• toiletdog said:

Ditto on the username. I wasn't able to revert back to my old settings (then again, the email address is no longer in use). Any way to get my stats back? I hate looking like a noob. :)

I have a username question, also: this is Sheri (sherib) writing.  When I registered, I chose a new username (nerdonparade), thinking I could finally ditch my badly chosen (not-very-anonymous) old username and yet still have access to the sherib member account if I needed to, because both usernames are under the same email address.  However, this is not the case.  I can't access the sherib account; in fact, it isn't accessible on this forum at all (it's not in the members list).  Which makes sense, since I didn't migrate that username.  But I didn't realize it would work that way at the time.

I promise--I didn't choose a new username to be a troll and post under two different accounts.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is this:

1. Would it be possible for someone in charge to please delete this nerdonparade account (without it harming my potential access to my sherib account)?

2. Could I then re-register at this forum as sherib?

My concern isn't getting my old stats back; it's that I just feel funny about the idea of not being able to access my sherib account anymore (in case I would want to edit something in the future, etc.).  Meaning, if the alternative is not being able to access my sherib account anymore, then I want to be sherib again.

• Anyway, what I'm wondering is this:

1. Would it be possible for someone in charge to please delete this nerdonparade account (without it harming my potential access to my sherib account)?

2. Could I then re-register at this forum as sherib?

Two things you need to know:

1. When you do the migration thing, it merges your new account into the old one.

2. You can change usernames on this forum.

So do the mergey thing on this account and you'll become sherib again. Then if you want to, change your username to nerdonparade and all your posts (including from the old board) will show up as from the new username.

[Edit]: I didn't mean that list to be bold. Count that as another styling bug - you click the icon to make a numbered list and when you save it appears bold.

• Thanks, Will. I had done the same thing as Sheri. I completely missed the merge step, somehow! I had to re-do my avatar again after I merged but that was the only snag. To merge go here  http://www.okgo.net/board-migration/
  • Will said:
    Two things you need to know:

1. When you do the migration thing, it merges your new account into the old one.

2. You can change usernames on this forum.

So do the mergey thing on this account and you'll become sherib again. Then if you want to, change your username to nerdonparade and all your posts (including from the old board) will show up as from the new username.

Gorgeous, beautiful–thank you!  That was super-easy.  And I appreciate your quick help.

Here's another issue, though–in order to change my username to nerdonparade, the profile page is telling me that first and last name are required fields.  According to the icons next to those fields, first and last names are visible to other board members on one's profile.  If that's the case, no way in heck am I changing my username.  That would defeat the purpose of getting rid of the username "sherib."

Btw, when you go to the members list, there are tons of full names (not screennames) on there.  That seems like a big, big problem to me.  Or am I being naive and all those people made up fake names?

If it won't lead to prove-your-identity-to-the-administrator-to-prove-this-is-your-account-so-you-can-make-changes-or-whatever problems down the road, I'll go ahead and type in Jane Doe.  But the requirement seems really weird to me in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

[Edit] I forgot to say--thanks, Sunnyside.  I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who did that. :)

• Some/most of the names on the members list are direct feeds from facebook. Perhaps those people haven't been back here since the integration to get/change their username.
  • My fake Facebook account is listed as a member. I don't know how that happened. I use it for games.
  • I'm so confused.

Problem #1 Somehow I managed to create 2 snack_cakes accounts. How can I have one deleted? And does one contain my old posts? I tried the migration and linked with this one but under my profile it says I've made 0 posts. I guess my problem is similiar to sherib but the 2nd account is still there even after the migration.

Problem #2 Logging in/out. I'm linked with my Facebook account but I only want to log out of the message board not FB. I can't seem to find that option. And do I need to be linked to Facebook?

• It looks like I messed my account up even more. The other day I tried the migration link after discovering that I had 2 accounts. I uploaded my avatar and had my old posts on one account (I should have left well enough alone) then tonight after finding that the 2 accounts were still there I tried the migration again (oops). Now I've lost my posts (not really important) and avatar. But here's the problem: when I try to upload the same avatar I get a message that it's already in use. Where is it and how can I get it back?!
  • Snack_Cakes said:

Problem #2 Logging in/out. I'm linked with my Facebook account but I only want to log out of the message board not FB. I can't seem to find that option. And do I need to be linked to Facebook?

I had this problem too when the site first went live. I ended up dropping the app at Facebook and signed up the other way, i.e. making a username. This way when you're on FB, it doesn't show that you're active here. And when you don't want to be active here, you're not booted from FB.

I don't know if there is a fix to this though.

• This is specifically new board related, but the new banner on the top of the page for the contest blocks the drop down menus at the top, sillies.
  • beckysioux said:
    Snack_Cakes said:

I had this problem too when the site first went live. I ended up dropping the app at Facebook and signed up the other way, i.e. making a username. This way when you're on FB, it doesn't show that you're active here. And when you don't want to be active here, you're not booted from FB.

Thanks Becky, I'll try that. I only hope I don't end up with 3 accounts!

• Snack_Cakes said:
    beckysioux said:
    Snack_Cakes said:

Thanks Becky, I'll try that. I only hope I don't end up with 3 accounts!

Well I tried it and when I don't log in through Facebook I get a message that there's no account with my email address(!) but I'm able to log in with the account that I created by mistake (the account that I don't want)Confused. I guess I'll just keep using the Facebook log in (so it may appear that I'm logged in all the time even when I'm not actually on this site).

• Well, hopefully the guys will figure this out.
  • my account got linked to Felsters username and Felsters account vanished… we're not sure where it is but when i try and sign in, it named me as Agentloser and had no posts… so yeah… i dont know whats going on here… rigsht now i'm signed it with felsters account but its named this account as agentnumone and has all my sig and stuff from the old board...

• I'm not certain if this is a bug or an annoyance, but I'm apparently able to change any topic name at will, even if I didn't start it. Every thread on the board here has a little wrench icon next to it allowing me to change the thread titles.

If others have this ability, it could leave the board open to vandalism in the future.

EDIT: Also, avatar maximum width is established, but maximum height is not. I created three possible avatars... one at 50x50, one at 50x100, and one at 50x1000. 50x100 is ok, but 50x1000 is not (thankfully) so the maximum avatar height is somewhere between 100 and 1000. Knowing the max dimensions must be helpful.