In this Discussion

hiya I'm new :) be nice

edited November -1 in General Discussion
hi i'm brand new to the ok go forum! i love love love ok go!!!!!!! xxxxxxx

Comments

• I'm new too. Hello!
  • emseyluvsu, I haven't said hello to you yet. Welcome.

Welcome, ChristelAdina! I saw in another thread that you are a Monkees fan. *ahem* YOU'VE TALKED TO MIKE NESMITH ON THE PHONE!?! *swooning* What did he say to you? I see you are a Lou Reed fan. Might you perchance also be a T.Rex and David Bowie fan? I love those men!

• I am not a religious person, Tempe, but I subscribe to a set of beliefs loosely called Murphianity. The first precept of this is as follows:

David Bowie is God.

(And he is, in all likelihood. I mean, try to prove otherwise.)

I made up Murphianity one afternoon in 1991 (or maybe it was 92, but anyway it predated the "David Bowie's Area" stuff by almost a decade). My friends were teasing me because an inordinate amount--to them, anyway--of my interests revolved around David Bowie and The Rolling Stones. And because I was in the habit of spinning spoken-word stories from thin air for my friends (Often called FUBAR Faerie Tales, because they usually involved an inebriated rock star.). I defended myself by announcing, "David Bowie is God." And I began to tell a creation myth/invent a religion. 

Many other rock gods populate the pantheon I worship, but obviously, Murphianity is patterned on the Christian system, hence the name (In a 1979 Bauhaus interview, Peter Murphy admitted that if he could be anyone else in creation, he really wanted to be Bowie. Well, he can't, but I like him ever so much, so I made him the son of God). And all the other major people are represented, including the prophet Marc Bolan and Lou, the Baptist...

Of course Mick Jagger is Satan and Keith Richards is Beezlebub, though only because I needed someone to represent those...Keith isn't really second to Mick, you know. But everytime I tried to make the Stones personifcations of The Seven Deadly Sins (The 5 original members plus Mick Taylor and Ron Wood), I'd get frustrated, because, let's be honest, Keith personifies them all! 

My favourite of the Heavenly Host is, naturally, The Archangel Iggy, smiting the wicked and slaying the dragons with a flaming mic stand. Wink

• Hello and welcome to both of you! :D

Christel, your religion sounds AMAZING.

ChristelAdina said:

My favourite of the Heavenly Host is, naturally, The Archangel Iggy, smiting the wicked and slaying the dragons with a flaming mic stand. Wink

Especially this part. :P

Edit: AAAAH. THE QUOTE BOXES HAVE GONE INSAAAANE.

Sorry 'bout that. :/

• Thanks, Nova! Glad you enjoyed it (Ahhh, Iggy love...).

The quote boxes on this board are annoying. We should fix them.

• I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed like a suitable place.

I was typing some replies a moment ago (elsewhere and here) and it occured to me that something I said--though entirely clear and obvious to me and, I suspect, the writer it was mainly focused on--could me horribly misconstrued if read by an editor or someone else unfamiliar with my style. Realizing this led me to think back over the past 18 years at how I am often misinterpreted online because a reader doesn't catch contextual clues or is in such a literal frame of mind that they miss my pop cultural references, indeed some are unaware/unwilling to entertain the possibilty that there could be a joke or a reference, whether or not they'd actually get it if they did. Inflection is the better part of comprehension. I've always encountered problems with people completely, and sometimes vehemently, misunderstanding me because they don't get the joke or because they're offended I'd dare to joke (this happens in daily life as well as online, but at least it's not as bad as the early International Internet Incidents I inadvertently instigated in the '90s on listservs...).

I'm not sure yet how this board community is with absurd tone and humor and sarcasm (AKA my natural habitat), though many of you I've read so far seem to skew similarly toward my sort of silliness. However, virtual environment and the absence of inflection and context can heighten a clash of cultural touchstones. In other words, I've misread the atmosphere and accidentally caused great offense too many times to count  (as I'm sure everyone has at some point) and I don't want to do so here. I like it here! So please feel free to (nicely, calmly) tell me when I've put my foot in my mouth. Preferably before I've swallowed my knee.

Thanks.

Also, I apologize for my adoration of alliteration. Embarassed

• i love Bowie too, Labyrinth is one my fave eva movies
  • Labyrinth is THE BEST! Bowie AND Muppets. 

Ah, happy memories... Smile