In this Discussion

Dr Who - photos, news, videos...

Comments

• Mmm Matt Smith is good...well they're all good

@Amber: Next saturday is the last episode...it's a two part series finale and ooo I can't wait. Aren't you two episodes behind in the US or something?

• I think the US is technically 3 episodes behind, because we had a holiday weekend in there where the network didn't show the new episode.
  • Yeah, about that. "Vincent and the Doctor" broadcasts on BBC America on Saturday.

Which, by the way, BBC America is playing Star Trek: The Next Generation - how is this a British show?!? Gee, just because Stewart got a knighthood apparently means people go nuts or something. Play some Fry and Laurie, for goodness sakes! Or Jeeves and Wooster! Ahem - moving on.

"Matt Smith may actually rival DT in the preternatural ability to convey aeons of soulfulness and sorrow in a two-second glance."

That's a completely fair assessment. One thing that I can see now that I've been watching Smith as Doctor is that Tennant really was really over the top with the drama and angst. That's not a bad thing, its a Tenth Doctor personality thing, and Smith appears to play the drama more subtly. The times where Eleven has yelled seemed, what, put on? I don't know.

But I'm definitely on "Team Matt Smith is a Perfectly Fine Doctor, Thank You Very Much"

• violetchaos364 said:

Which, by the way, BBC America is playing Star Trek: The Next Generation - how is this a British show?!? Gee, just because Stewart got a knighthood apparently means people go nuts or something. Play some Fry and Laurie, for goodness sakes! Or Jeeves and Wooster! Ahem - moving on.

"Matt Smith may actually rival DT in the preternatural ability to convey aeons of soulfulness and sorrow in a two-second glance."

That's a completely fair assessment. One thing that I can see now that I've been watching Smith as Doctor is that Tennant really was really over the top with the drama and angst. That's not a bad thing, its a Tenth Doctor personality thing, and Smith appears to play the drama more subtly. The times where Eleven has yelled seemed, what, put on? I don't know.

But I'm definitely on "Team Matt Smith is a Perfectly Fine Doctor, Thank You Very Much"

WTF?

Hey now, don't dis Picard :P

I don't have BBCA, so I wasn't aware they aired ST-TNG. Maybe it's something to do with an upcoming Patrick Stewart project? Maybe someone's just seen RSC's Hamlet and is now a big fan. They don't play Jeeves and Wooster, because programmers presume the Wodehouse and wordplay would be over the average American's head. Yes, I've actually had this conversation. Maybe they are right. But then, in my opinion, the average American isn't watching BBC America anyway. Still, the explanation doesn't wash for several reasons, like how they explain the rest of their schedule, because the average American wouldn't be watching anything else they run, either, especially if they haven't run it yet... and I used to watch J&W all the time, for YEARS, on PBS. I had my own copy of the recent set for a while. :) I reviewed it so I got to keep it for free, but then I was broke at the holidays so I stupidly gave it to my brother-in-law as a gift. :( I need another. I do have the complete remastered Blackadder, though :) 

Re: Eleven yelling. I think it's less "put on" than it is that this personality just loathes it. He's been through all the angsty drama as Ten, and he prefers to keep things lighter and more surface. That "put on" thing is Matt Smith's method of conveying Eleven's reluctance...

Or something.

• Spacing and quote box fail, so I'm in violet (haha!) and you're in your original black.
    ChristelAdina said:

Hey now, don't dis Picard :P

Wouldn't dream of it, but that doesn't prevent me from posting THIS:

---a few minutes later -- Crap, how to you post pics?!?

Blah, here's the link:

OH wow, Hamlet with Tennant and Steward was awesome! I mean, I wanted to like their performance and everything, but, yeah, they f-ing nailed it! Gee- they wouldn't have been TRAINED or have had LOTS OF PRACTICE or anything, yeah?
    MM Jeeves and Wooster - uh, yeah, that was me putting in a bit a shout out for Stephen Fry and his hotness Hugh Laurie. Don't mind me. UK-phile, me.

Yes, I've actually had this conversation.

So have I. =D

Thank you interlibrary loan for all four series of Jeeves and Wooster AND for all four series of Blackadder and that Christmas special and Blackadder the Fifth.

Re: Eleven yelling. I think it's less "put on" than it is that this personality just loathes it. He's been through all the angsty drama as Ten, and he prefers to keep things lighter and more surface. That "put on" thing is Matt Smith's method of conveying Eleven's reluctance...

Or something.
    Yeah, I think that works re: reluctance. Anyway, I think he's calmer than Ten, a little more centered and self aware. I think this because of his reason for having Amy come along - something like he was traveling by himself and was talking to himself so much he was giving himself a headache?
    And to atone for the earlier non-Who related picture:
    http://roflrazzi.com/2010/01/14/celebrity-pictures-david-tennant-fangirl-nerdgasm/

• HOLY CRAP WHAT AN UNHOLY MESS!!! WOW!!!

I apologize for this affront to the whole of the human history of design!

• Laugh Seriously. I need that keyboard condom NOW! I didn't spill or spit coffee this time, but my sparkling mineral water chose to bubble over as I opened it while laughing (it was just a drip running down my hand, but it could have been the keys just as easily. By the way,  Right click whatever photo and choose "copy image location" (not "copy link") and then click the insert image icon in the menu here and a box will open and you can paste the image url in it and click insert and voila! Nerdgasms For Everyone:

And it's true. A lot of those photos have captions that are untrue, but not this one.

[Side Note: Just got "King of All of the World", by Old 97s, dedicated to me unexpectedly on a late-night radio show. :) Pardon me while I do an Unplanned Happy Dance... Oh there's more! Surprised This may take a while...]

Okay. Happy Dances complete. Three songs! No idea why, but I am not gonna complain.  Back to Who. I can get behind the idea of Eleven being more self-aware. He also more distant (understandably), so he doesn't get quite as involved as Ten, or he tries not to, that's why I think that when he yells it's reluctance we're seeing.

Now to see what happens after the maths. Many boxes, maybe?

• YAY IT WORKED! Thanks!

I'll reply with actual content later, but for now:

• violetchaos364 said:

YAY IT WORKED! Thanks!

I'll reply with actual content later, but for now:

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, this IS content! Quirky, delicious content (and it's Pattinson free! For fangirls watching their figures. And by figures, I mean Math Required. Wink).

• Not news or anything, just a comment after watching Vincent and the Doctor:

Doctor Who needs to stop this disturbing trend of making me cry. Three times I teared up during this episode, three times!

I do, however, like the idea of 'the ultimate ginger', but that's another story.

Speaking of gingers,

DT as Ginger

• I come bearing a boon, to make your Monday happy (but it's not the Happy Mondays):

• Any spoiler past 'Vicent and the Doctor' there? I'm being SO careful before the finale!
  • No spoilers. I promise. :)

In either post. The first is just me being emotional (no details) and the second is video of Matt Smith being my hero on stage at Glastonbury (he does say "wibbly wobbley, timey wimey", but no other Doctor information).

• Moffet you are killing me!!! Damn BBC and their funky, illogical, maddening television schedules!

BTW, since the fifth series is over, even in America - thoughts? How did Matt Smith do? Anyone Team Rory? Are bowties indeed cool?

• Bowties are cool. No, really, bowties are cool.

I adore Rory. Not on "Team Rory" per se, but I love the guy!

• There's a guy at my college who dresses like the tenth doctor. But today he wore a red bowtie with his costume...I'm just waiting for him to get a fez hat :D

Oh and aparently he has a sonic screwdriver too, how cool is that?

• Fezzes are cool.

NO RIVER DON'T SHOOT MY...

hat.

• And, indeed, how about that split second fez destroying plan taking place with mere glances between River and Amy! =D

• Holy fraking crap it's blue!!! The site is all blue... wait a minute...

"re" release: something old,

new material: something new,

the remixes? borrowing stems?: something borrowed,

AND SOMETHING BLUE!!

Holy crap it's the TARDIS!!!!