In this Discussion

craziest thing you've ever done

edited November -1 in OK Go

hiya i know its late but i'm gonna post anyway :) about 3 years ago i went to a russell brand show and i was so excited! at the beginning he walked through the audience and i was so desperate to meet him, i was like, 'i've gotta speak to him! i've gotta touch him, i've just gottas meet him!!!!!' and he walked past me and i patted his, erm, behind, and he turned round and said he quite liked it :) so i was like, 'ommgg!!!' i nearly died! So what i'd like to know is, whats the craziest thing you've done to meet ok go?

Comments

• I've seen OK Go exactly once, but my non-fan friends tell me I was crazy in how I went about it.  

I made arrangements to fly from NM to NC (because it costs about the same to fly from where I live to just about anywhere in the country, and because I have friends in NC so I don't have to pay for car, lodging or food) in May.  After the show, all the guys came out, and I was so excited but unfortunately the camera I had brought was totally broken.  I waited my turn to talk to Andy, Damian and Tim before it finally dawned on me that my phone has a camera (albeit, a very very crappy one), so I sheepishly got back in line to see Andy, then Damian and then Tim to get pictures with them, all the while thinking "Don't leave, Dan!  Please stay right where you are and don't leave!"  And, of course, by the time I got through the lines again, Dan was gone. 

So, I said really loudly to a fan standing nearby "Are you looking for Dan?" and Damian turned around and said, "Oh, I'll check on the bus."  Which was awesome, because that's the one place I couldn't go to look for him, but it turned out he wasn't there.  The other fan I was talking to said that she'd already looked in the venue and he wasn't there, even though Damian insisted that we should check the bar because (in his words) "Where there's beer, you'll find Dan."

Well, being a Mom, I'm used to my kids telling me that they already looked and looked for something where it is supposed to be and couldn't find it - then I go and look and there it is, magically. Smile So, I went into the venue, glanced around, and caught a glimpse of Dan walking past the back door.  I ran (kind of furtively) through the backstage and out the door and then called to Dan.  There was no light in the back of the venue, it was spooky-dark and there were no other people.  I had a moment to think "Oh, God, it turns out I am a creepy stalker fan.  Oh dear."  But Dan didn't interpret my weird overzealousness that way, and, as you all know, he is very very nice, so he graciously chatted with me very briefly and signed what I had brought to get signed.  And I forgot to ask to take a picture with him because I was so worried about appearing to be a creeper.  

Ok, that was a really long explanation. Embarassed

• autumnraina said:
    And I forgot to ask to take a picture with him because I was so worried about appearing to be a creeper.

That's a great story! It's not crazy, you're not a creeper and Dan rocks! Wink

I haven't got an OKGo story...yet. I did consider crawling to Portland back in May when my chair stopped dead in the middle of traffic as I was on my way to the Greyhound station to go up to the show, and last weekend, there were a couple of hours where pushing my old, broken down manual chair to Corvallis, despite my shoulder injuries seemed a thoroughly sane and actionable plan. So it's probably a given that when I do get to tell an OKGo story, it will involve craziness of some sort.

• autumnraina said:

I've seen OK Go exactly once, but my non-fan friends tell me I was crazy in how I went about it.  

I made arrangements to fly from NM to NC (because it costs about the same to fly from where I live to just about anywhere in the country, and because I have friends in NC so I don't have to pay for car, lodging or food) in May.  After the show, all the guys came out, and I was so excited but unfortunately the camera I had brought was totally broken.  I waited my turn to talk to Andy, Damian and Tim before it finally dawned on me that my phone has a camera (albeit, a very very crappy one), so I sheepishly got back in line to see Andy, then Damian and then Tim to get pictures with them, all the while thinking "Don't leave, Dan!  Please stay right where you are and don't leave!"  And, of course, by the time I got through the lines again, Dan was gone. 

So, I said really loudly to a fan standing nearby "Are you looking for Dan?" and Damian turned around and said, "Oh, I'll check on the bus."  Which was awesome, because that's the one place I couldn't go to look for him, but it turned out he wasn't there.  The other fan I was talking to said that she'd already looked in the venue and he wasn't there, even though Damian insisted that we should check the bar because (in his words) "Where there's beer, you'll find Dan."

Well, being a Mom, I'm used to my kids telling me that they already looked and looked for something where it is supposed to be and couldn't find it - then I go and look and there it is, magically. Smile So, I went into the venue, glanced around, and caught a glimpse of Dan walking past the back door.  I ran (kind of furtively) through the backstage and out the door and then called to Dan.  There was no light in the back of the venue, it was spooky-dark and there were no other people.  I had a moment to think "Oh, God, it turns out I am a creepy stalker fan.  Oh dear."  But Dan didn't interpret my weird overzealousness that way, and, as you all know, he is very very nice, so he graciously chatted with me very briefly and signed what I had brought to get signed.  And I forgot to ask to take a picture with him because I was so worried about appearing to be a creeper.  

Ok, that was a really long explanation. Embarassed

that is fantastic:) what a cool story, they sound so lovely i wanna meet them now so bad

• One of the many things I love about OK Go is that I don't have to do crazy things to say hi.  Oftentimes they're just out saying hi anyway.  However, somewhat early on in my fandom, when they toured with The Fray, I left my friend in the venue after OK Go's set to wait by the tour busses' exit, hoping for a chance to see the guys. I sat there for the entirety of The Fray's set, and my friend had actually come out to wait with me by the time they started to drive out in a van.  Damian was the last to get to the van, though, and he was getting in right near where I was sitting.  I said "Hi Damian!" and he looked over as he was about to get in, stopped, and said "Oh hey!  Nice to see you again!  I'm so sorry but we have to go" or something like that, but he definitely smiled when he saw me there. :-) 
  • I think my craziness extends to that whole afternoon when I met them. I wouldn't say I did something crazy, but the things that happened were crazy. On a related note, has anyone else been on the bus?

Umm well last weekend when I saw them again, I snuck through a fire exit to get to the back alley, following some teenage girls who were obviously not there for the music. (I have this thing about being an honest fan, don't just like an awesome band for the gorgeous lead singer. Plus everyone knows that it's more than just Damian.)

So we get out to the back and Dan's there, and I chat with him for a bit, and then somehow I said, "are you the only one who ever comes out after shows?" and he goes, "Well....I'm out here smoking." *sadface*

It was mortifying. So I just smiled and laughed and to change the subject I asked him to sign my iPod.

I suppose something bold (heh) that I did was walk right up to the stage in the middle of the Q&A (Dami and Tim were in the bathroom) and call Dan over to where I was standing, right in front of a theater full of people. It was pretty cool, I was just leaning all casual and stuff on the stage and he was kneeling in front of me and we talked for a while.

It's funny how my OK Go saga starts and ends with Dan. He was the first one I saw when I got to their hotel, and I'm so glad that there was a car door between us or else I would have looked absolutely insane. I was kind of hyperventilating and all "OMG ITS DAN HOLY MOTHER OF GOD HE'S STANDING RIGHT THERE, THAT'S HIM!!!OMGOMGOMG LOOK!" My best friend handled himself a little bit better. But he wasn't on the side of the car where Dan was.

• cool :) i wonder wot its like on their bus, i said to my other friend the other nite, that if i saw their tour bus i'd freak lol
  • Aleatory!

^Thats you talking to Dan right?^

:D

• woo! i love that pic
  • squashedbanana said:

Aleatory!

^Thats you talking to Dan right?^

:D

YEAH OMG! That's me, right there! I was wearing my RGM shirt. Surprisingly, the only one  there with an OK Go shirt.