In this Discussion

KahBang!

edited November -1 in OK Go
Bangor Daily News article, with video. OK Go starts at approximately 2:30, but you should watch the preceding B.o.b. footage, too. That kid's hot.

Comments

• http://thehotwatermusic.blogspot.com/2010/08/ok-go-interview.html

This is one of those interviews that makes you wanna go...W...T...F?!

• squashedbanana said:

http://thehotwatermusic.blogsp.....rview.html

This is one of those interviews that makes you wanna go…W…T…F?!

That's one of those interviews that makes me wanna go "Hey, professionalism! Where the fuck have you been? You're letting people give talented journalists/interviewers/music writers (ahem, ME) a bad name, again!"

It's not even funny in the I-lost-control-of-the-conversation way. And it definitely could have been funny. Having lost control of several celebrity interview/conversations myself, I know. It's embarrassing. Like when I found myself in the middle of a highly unprofessional flirtatious moment with a rock star and realized there was no hope of seriousness, so I let the conversation continue down its devolved path. Because once he reached the Kinky Gloves portion of our exchange, it was inevitable, anyway. However, the situation was still salvageable and made for funny fodder later.

Of course, I'm not saying I'd do any better with OK Go at the moment. My current telephonic recording system leaves a lot to be desired (so Damian surely would complain about volume issues). Also, I don't have herpes.

(But I still could have saved that interview…)

• Personally, I prefer interviews like this.  Hilarious!  How many times can you read the same sh*t? 

• Christel-- hello!

My name is Taylor, and I'm the "brainchild" behind Hot Water Music.

One can say what one wants about my style, but some of the assertions made are a little harsh, I'd think, and self-aggrandizing. The interview, at no point, needed to be "saved," given that this is, stylistically, what I typically hope to achieve.

I apprecite your opinions, and this style of mine isn't exactly for everybody, but after four years in print journalism in Maine, one very telling semester of journalism in college (I switched majors to poetry), going backstage with David Gregory on Meet the Press and talking shop, and being chosen by Al Neuharth and the Freedom Forum as one of the best 102 journalists under 20 in the nation, I feel like I know, at least in part, what I'm doing with this.

We could talk about the decline of interest in standard journalism (look at newspaper sales, and the recent snafu with the NY Times charging readers for online content), and debate whether what I'm doing (conversations with musicians) OR what you're doing (talking to celebrities) would even be covered under the prototypical umbrella term "journalism."

I respect that it might not be something that aligns with your interests, but to assume or infer that I'm unable to do my job is kind of absurd.

And thanks, by the way, to whoever posted the link here in the first place. I appreciate that!

• Hey Taylor,

We could discuss all those things about the decline of journalism, and I suppose we could discuss how my "talking to celebrities" could even be considered journalism, because sometime it is just "talking." However, since I have a journalism degree, and have worked in journalism and PR for the last 15 years, much of my time talking with celebs for is journalistic purposes.

Sorry to have offened you with my opinion, and yes, admittedly, it was harsh (bad days happen), but I am still entitled to it. I'd explain my reasoning for what I said further, but I have to go talk to a celebrity now.

;)

• Christel--

I get ya completely, and you're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I just thought I'd voice the other side of things a little bit.

In all actuality, I really do try and "let things happen," in a way when I'm interviewing. Sometimes, it might seem as though I've lost control, but others, by letting THEM lead the interview, there's a lot of fluidity in the content that isn't materialized otherwise.

It's a stylistic thing, and given everything going on with journalism, I thought a different approach would be something beneficial, given my age. Carving out a niche, if you will.