In this Discussion

Last Leaf Speculation/Official Vid

Comments

• Aleatory said:"AH SAID AH NEED SOME CHICKEN WIRE!"

I wish the meager pickings of lame Southern boys I see in this Godforsaken state of Mississippi looked and sounded like that. Wink

• Funny you mention chicken wire.  My husband went to Home Depot to buy some last weekend and it is apparently now called "poultry netting."  Who knew?
  • Ha! Yeah, and it's not stalking, I'm just running into certain people in a premeditated matter.

And if this were twitter -  #pcfail

• EPISODE THREE!

So basically, it looks like a frame-by-frame photographic animation of artwork etched by lasers. On different kinds of materials, of which I can at least count some plain white background etched in black, bread etched to toast (we assume) and white paper cut out.

Freaking awesome.

• I love Tim's magical equation (Math AND Magic Required!)! And I love Dan's wise-guy chef at the end, too! Smile 
  • I'm sure I'm not the only one that would pay for a laser-cut portrait of the boys, framed and mounted on some nice colored paper. Or better yet, paisley paper.
  • I'm thinking there might be a 3D printer involved.

http://www.mit.edu/~tdp/whatis3dp.html

• Aleatory said:I'm sure I'm not the only one that would pay for a laser-cut portrait of the boys, framed and mounted on some nice colored paper. Or better yet, paisley paper.

PAISLEY!!! PERFECT! =D

• Sunnyside said:

I'm thinking there might be a 3D printer involved.

http://www.mit.edu/~tdp/whatis3dp.html

Having worked a bit with 3D printing, there are two things about that possibility... 1, it is actually super slow and not that visually arresting as a process; 2, it is extraordinarily expensive. Machines cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and a company with machines in a constant state of production will charge hundreds for even a modestly-sized piece. So I wouldn't bank too much on seeing a 3D printer in the video...

• Yeah, upon viewing the video more closely it looks to be a laser etcher. 
  • Episode 4:

When Tim says 'Bye, bye bye bye' it totally reminds me of how Liz says bye in Shaun of the Dead haha

• squashedbanana said:

Episode 4:When Tim says 'Bye, bye bye bye' it totally reminds me of how Liz says bye in Shaun of the Dead haha

It is so like Liz I wonder if it was intentional. KICK ASS movie, btw!

• So, guess what gets released tomorrow? Did ya guess? Did ya?

Last Leaf! At least I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Last Leaf based on this tweet.

• beckysioux said:

So, guess what gets released tomorrow? Did ya guess? Did ya?

Last Leaf! At least I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Last Leaf based on this tweet.

AHHHHHHHHHHH

• It's animated....toast. Wait, what?
  • My favorite part is when Teeny Ok Go and a fox are pushing things down the bread cliff.
  • I'm just gonna come right out and say it, I was disappointed.

All the behind-the-scenes stuff gave me an impression that it was going to be somewhat epic and inspiring and what not. And I just felt meh.

I saw it this morning on my phone and thought perhaps that seeing it on a PC when I got home, I'd feel different. But I don't. I still feel meh about it.

I guess it's because Last Leaf is one of my fave songs from OTBCOTS and I already had an image in my head on what the video should have been (Damian and his guitar in the forest, just like how it was recorded), and then I see toast. I knew it was going to be on toast, but I had no idea what they were going to do with said toast.

Don't get me wrong, the guy who designed it and what not, the images are quite beautiful. But they don't stir any kind of emotions for me. Especially with how they flowed from one thing to another. I didn't get the connections. A shoe being pushed off a cliff by an inchworm, a baby carriage pushed off a cliff by a fox, etc.

The video didn't have to be a literal translation of the song, but I don't know, it could have been a little less, I guess,  random. Then again, it could all make perfect sense and I just don't get it. Which is fine with me. This will be one of a  few of their videos that I won't watch on an infinite loop.

The only redeeming piece of toast for me was the fox playing guitar. Which was an actual literal translation. ;P

And my math is 1 + 1 = 2. Yep.

You may now commence in throwing tomatoes or a fruit of your choice at me.

• beckysioux said:

I'm just gonna come right out and say it, I was disappointed.

All the behind-the-scenes stuff gave me an impression that it was going to be somewhat epic and inspiring and what not. And I just felt meh.

I saw it this morning on my phone and thought perhaps that seeing it on a PC when I got home, I'd feel different. But I don't. I still feel meh about it.

I guess it's because Last Leaf is one of my fave songs from OTBCOTS and I already had an image in my head on what the video should have been (Damian and his guitar in the forest, just like how it was recorded), and then I see toast. I knew it was going to be on toast, but I had no idea what they were going to do with said toast.

Don't get me wrong, the guy who designed it and what not, the images are quite beautiful. But they don't stir any kind of emotions for me. Especially with how they flowed from one thing to another. I didn't get the connections. A shoe being pushed off a cliff by an inchworm, a baby carriage pushed off a cliff by a fox, etc.

The video didn't have to be a literal translation of the song, but I don't know, it could have been a little less, I guess,  random. Then again, it could all make perfect sense and I just don't get it. Which is fine with me. This will be one of a  few of their videos that I won't watch on an infinite loop.

The only redeeming piece of toast for me was the fox playing guitar. Which was an actual literal translation. ;P

And my math is 1 + 1 = 2. Yep.

You may now commence in throwing tomatoes or a fruit of your choice at me.

I have to agree; it was a little disappointing.  It wasn't that it's a bad video, it's very well done, I think it was just the randomness of it that bothered me.  Kudos to the guys and everyone who helped for having the patience for an animation, though.  I've tried that before, and it drove me mad after 30 minutes of picture after picture.

• I'm not throwing anything, Becky, I just respectfully disagree. :)

I liked the artsy-ness of it (and yes, I think I did just make up that word). And I saw symbols of waiting and time passing everywhere... The stuff falling off the cliff being parts of life that were passing by as he waits, etc. They used a lot of surrealist art inspiration here... see the works of Magritte, among others.

I think that this song, being so different from everything else that they have done... not only how it is played and where it was recorded... heck, it is even a departure from the overriding "move on" theme of OTBCOTS album... it needed something REALLY different for its video. And Ok Go probably needed to do something different to break out of the "do a cool video in one take" mode, too, before they were pigeon-holed forever.

And the toast? Well, I think that is what really makes it Ok Go even though it is different. I mean, who else would use toast as their animation landscape?

I love it! :D