In this Discussion

OK Go Pictures and "Stuff"

Comments

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/wofsphotography/sets/72157625182339583/

Here are my shots from the Columbus, OH date at the Newport Music Hall on Halloween. Enjoy!

• Because I'm a librarian AND an Ok Go fan (and a graphics nerd)...

Photo credit here

• LOVE this.  I'm not a librarian, but I am an avid reader!  
  • JennyHP said:

Because I'm a librarian AND an Ok Go fan (and a graphics nerd)...

Photo credit here

LaughLaugh There is love here. LaughLaugh

• Last Leaf from the Mercy Lounge last night... gorgeous!

There are more lovely videos from that show HERE.

• Has anybody mentioned xkcd's Map of Online Communities 2010 yet..?
  • Aleatory said:

Because xkcd is the greatest webcomic ever, and OK Go is the greatest band ever, I share with you this:

An updated map of the internet, by Randall Munroe.

I first challenge you to see why I am posting this here. (No cheating, FB friends!)

Then I will tell you if you don't.

http://xkcd.com/802_large/

Katy, yes. ;-)

• jedi_grrlie said:Has anybody mentioned xkcd's Map of Online Communities 2010 yet..?

Haha, I'm such a nerd, I posted it here the day it was released, even before the boys posted it on Tumblr. For some reason I'm super proud of that.

• ...yeah I have no idea what's going on either haha

From here (twas posted on OK Go's wall)

• can't . . . tear . . . eyes . . . away . . . *possibly scarred for life*  *also thankful to be mercifully spared the sight of either Andy or Damian in a dress*  *dammit, now wondering what that would look like*  AAAAAugh!  *scarred for life all over again*
  • autumnraina said:can't . . . tear . . . eyes . . . away . . . *possibly scarred for life*  *also thankful to be mercifully spared the sight of either Andy or Damian in a dress*  *dammit, now wondering what that would look like*  AAAAAugh!  *scarred for life all over again*

Hahahaha

Do you remember the time when Dan came out of nowhere at a Fray concert with a Hawaiian skirt on and a headdress shaking some maracas?

Ishani wants me to draw Andy and Damian in a dress...at least it wouldn't be creepy, sorta. *shrugs* the way I draw things makes it looks cute-ish or something

• Hahahaha

Do you remember the time when Dan came out of nowhere at a Fray concert with a Hawaiian skirt on and a headdress shaking some maracas?

I also remember Tim's Elvis-impersonating strip tease on the screen behind the Silverspun Pickups.  They were playing and had no idea that the crowd was cheering for Tim, not them.

• I have NO idea where to post this, because it's this one day collaboration thing.  But it's pretty damn cool.

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2010/11/ok_go_collabora.html

• DJRose said:

I have NO idea where to post this, because it's this one day collaboration thing.  But it's pretty damn cool.

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2010/.....abora.html

And again, why am I living in Chicago instead of LA? Why? 

And I've just realized that I won't be able to participate in the secondary project because as of right now, the app is only available on the iPhone. OK, you can put it on the iTouch, but if you don't have WiFi, the app won't work. I was really looking forward to being able to participate, but if I'm stuck in the confines of my home or a random Borders/Starbucks/Panera Bread, my geo-art will be pretty craptastic.

• beckysioux said:
    DJRose said:

I have NO idea where to post this, because it's this one day collaboration thing.  But it's pretty damn cool.

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2010/.....abora.html

And again, why am I living in Chicago instead of LA? Why? 

...which begs the question, WHY AM I LIVING IN HONG KONG??? :'( sucks to be in a place where OK Go is unlikely to visit for the next 2 yrs or sth o.O having said that i DID manage to catch them earlier on this february, and that is where the love officially started Kiss

About the Range Rover collabo thing, I was kinda miffed to see ppl diss OK Go for being sellouts (on twitter), seeing their recent collabo efforts with Samsung and now RR.  IMHO, all i see is the boys stepping out of their usual rocker zone to take advantage of the best opportunities these large corporations can offer to them; it's like, if someone's gonna pay them to have fun, then why not go with it?  Am i missing the point somewhere? o.O 

• laydeejol said:

About the Range Rover collabo thing, I was kinda miffed to see ppl diss OK Go for being sellouts (on twitter), seeing their recent collabo efforts with Samsung and now RR.  IMHO, all i see is the boys stepping out of their usual rocker zone to take advantage of the best opportunities these large corporations can offer to them; it's like, if someone's gonna pay them to have fun, then why not go with it?  Am i missing the point somewhere? o.O 

You're not missing the point. Some people have yet to let go of the reflexive negative reactions that "corporate sponsorship" used to elicit and the manipulation it once implied. I still sometimes revert to that as well, being the child of a fringe, counter-culture upbringing and coming from a not-entirely-misspent youth in the DIY/punk community. It's rather ingrained, given my age and background, to be distrustful of the whole idea of a big, seemingly unrelated company paying for something artistic, because the company could meddle and insist on influencing the resulting project to protect its investment.

I'm still learning to be open-minded and think of what happens these days as a sort of "arts patronage" rather than a "controlling interest", or at least I'm learning to be able to recognize the difference. 

Fifteen years ago it was selling out for a Pete Townsend to license a song to sell cars and for Budweiser to pay for a band's entire tour, but that's because it was large sums of money that often went only toward making those entities richer, sometimes at the expense of the art and often at the expense of the fans. However, these days, when artists make deals with big companies, it's usually strictly as a means of survival and not as a purely pocket-lining deal-with-the-devil.

I don't have a problem with that. Especially because, in the case of OK Go, these partnerships are actually a means of making more music and creating more art in the most direct way possible. It's the new DIY (it's DWOP-Do With Other People!). I'll admit I think the Range Rover pairing is a little odd, but it's not "selling out", it's "seizing opportunity".  Ok Go is simply seizing the opportunity and taking advantage, as you said, to have fun.

• The way I see it, the band found a new art project and a car company happens to make an app that makes it possible.  Done and Done.

But really, Christel's got it right.  People have forgotten that since they aren't paying for music anymore, bands have to find other ways to make money for survival. 

• Christel: "I'll admit I think the Range Rover pairing is a little odd..."

Nah, that's not odd. State Farm Insurance and OK Go is odd. Laugh

At least with a vehicle, well, the boys already have the word "Go" in their name! Wink

• Alright, let's see if I got this. They've been backed by State Farm (auto, home, casualty insurance), Range Rover (cars) and Samsung (cameras). If they can get backed by say Shell/Citgo/fuel dealer of your choice, they could make a pretty awesome traveling/touring video.

Wait, they've done that. Nevermind.

This is all said in jest. I kid 'cause I love.