In this Discussion

Dance Through Your City

edited November -1 in OK Go

So, OK Go danced through LA on the 17th of November. They used the Pulse of the City app from Range Rover Evoque to write their name in LA. The final sketch is pretty awesome. Lookie, pictures from the parade.

Welp, did you know that if you download the app, walk/drive/dance/crawl through your city and upload your journey, you could be in one of their videos set to drop in January 2011? Click here for the how-to.

The app is available for the iPhone and Droids. Sorry no crackberries or other smart/non-smart phones. I downloaded the app for my Droid and made this geo-art:

It didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it, but it still looks pretty amazing. Click here to see the route I took.

Anyone else going to take part in this? If so, I wanna see what your geo-art!! And see if it comes out as psychodiculous as mine did.

Comments

• That looks really cool!
  • Umm… I don't get how your route turns into that crazy-awesome picture up there. Is it a composite of all the other people who've done it? 

EDIT: I'm totally going to do it, but didn't see a deadline for video submissions. Anyone know?

• Oooo, I'm definitely going to have to get a group together and try to do this! 
  • Aleatory said:

Umm… I don't get how your route turns into that crazy-awesome picture up there. Is it a composite of all the other people who've done it? 

EDIT: I'm totally going to do it, but didn't see a deadline for video submissions. Anyone know?

That geo-art is just me walking that route. I really don't know how my straight lines turned into that jelly fish. Which is why I really, really, really wanna see what someone else has made. Don't get me wrong, I'm really starting to like "Downtown Flower", but I wanna know if perhaps my phone is just wonky or if that is the way it's supposed to look.

And yeah, I couldn't find an end date anywhere on the website. I'm thinking since they're making the video for January 2011 and are currently editing the footage from their parade, sending in submissions ASAP would be best. Anyone wanna ask them on Twitter? I think I've bothered them enough this year.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • About the deadline for submissions, it looks like it may be December 24th. I found this quote:

“Anyone anywhere can use the same app and create a drawing, or spell out a word in the streets of their city,” explained Damian Kulash.“ If we receive these by 24 December 2010, they may be included in the final artwork that we shape, to be revealed in January 2011.”

It was on the press release here

I knew I'd seen it and it was making me a little crazy that I didn't have it bookmarked. Definitely planning to do a walkabout with some friends, and see how the image turns out.

BTW, the "downtown flower" is gorgeous!

• I planned my route and I'm pretty excited, now I just have to wait for someone with an iphone to come back into town! http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=113574177484894444278.000495e43b7bbc8daa2d2
  • beckysioux said:

The app is available for the iPhone and Droids....  I downloaded the app for my Droid...  

I couldn't find this in the Droid marketplace.  It's called "Pulse of the City", correct?  I'll try again after this busy holiday weekend and definitely create my own geo-art piece.  I'm still pretty amazed your final art turned out so very different from your map.  I'll be curious to see if I get the same random results.  

• PemiBlue, thanks for finding that!

Hannah, your route looks awesome.

okgononsense said:
    beckysioux said:

The app is available for the iPhone and Droids....  I downloaded the app for my Droid...  

I couldn't find this in the Droid marketplace.  It's called "Pulse of the City", correct?  I'll try again after this busy holiday weekend and definitely create my own geo-art piece.  I'm still pretty amazed your final art turned out so very different from your map.  I'll be curious to see if I get the same random results.  

The full title of the app is "Range Rover Pulse of the City". I put "Range Rover Pulse" in the search box and it found the app for me. Here's a bit of a linky if that helps.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • beckysioux said:

Hannah, your route looks awesome.

Thanks! I'm excited to see how my Geoart turns out! 

• So...

Anyone make any geo-art?

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Bump.

So, has anyone made any geo-art?

I submitted my art and pics today. Can't wait to see the finished product and if any of my stuff gets added to their video.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Haven't made any art because I don't know who'd join me or where we'd go. I'd just do it myself, but I don't have the right hardware, and that sounds a little lonely. Maybe I'll try and plan out a route and see if anyone with an iPhone or otherwise thinks it's cool enough to travel with me.

• If you haven't seen it yet, the video from the actual parade is up. Oh how I would have loved to have been there. Alas, Chicago and LA are quite a bit apart from each other.

They're still asking for submissions from people in different cities: Sound fun? Get involved! Take a journey across your own city and document it any and every way you can. Then send us your footage. We’ll take all the maps, photos, and videos you submit over the next month and make a video out of that too.

Get crackin' people!

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • And the parade video is wonderful! It's pretty cold here now, but I am still looking forward do doing the geo-art.
  • Unintentional double post. Sorry! Definitely not my day.
  • Aww, LA looks like a really dirty version of Tempe or Phoenix.
  • Some good press on the project:

OK Go Take You Behind The Scenes Of Their L.A. Parade

“It’s our art project, and, in a way, it’s helped me discover parts of Los Angeles I never knew existed,” Kulash said. “On the smaller side streets, people come streaming out of their houses, and all the kids join the parade. Everybody’s leaning out of their houses, and it makes you feel the community of Los Angeles in a way that’s generally hard to do because you usually drive through it.”

GOOD Design Daily: OK Go's Interactive Urban Romp

(Funnily enough, I saw this happening in-person and while I thought it looked interesting, I dismissed it as a film school project. Everyone just looked a little too genuinely happy to be there.)

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • I pretty much desperately need to see the band cover "Hey Ya" by Outkast.  I think my brain would actually implode and the universe would break.
  • Silly me.  I watched the video of their parade several times and really enjoyed it.  It was fun to see Mrs. Konopka participating, too.  I like that they used BFK for the background... I thought it fit nicely.  But it never occurred to me, until I read the articles posted by Becky, that this was their official video for BFK.

BTW, Becky, I did find the app (thank you) and I downloaded to my Incredible... and I've been downtown a few times this holiday season... just haven't made the time to establish a route and walk it.  Also not looking forward to spending that much time walking in the rain when I'm not really going anywhere.  I promise to do it before their deadline!

• I was really glad to see this week that the band is still asking for these geo-etch-a-sketch drawings. I've done one—it's not ideal, but I thought I'd post my progress anyways.

So, I took this walk on Christmas Eve in Boston, starting at the Esplanade, and walking along the back of Beacon Hill to the State House. The "visualization" didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, mainly because the pulse program generates more pink + blue faux citiscape the longer you spend in a given area, and for my letters, I had to double back along the same path. So the background largely obscures the path itself.

It looks good when run through photoshop to tone down that pink + blue stuff.

But doing the photoshop thing felt...hm... not entirely in the spirit of the one-take video. Still, if you have no control of the interface, and the background is generated arbitrarily, can one justify removing it arbitrarily? Meh. I don't know. You can upload any number of images, so I could submit it both ways, clearly labeled.

But first I'd like to walk the route faster, with less doubling back, and see if that does the trick. I am not however willing to go to take 72.

What did I learn from this walk/route? That it really does help to keep a steady pace and make sure the locator has caught up with you before you turn a corner. I also learned that if your letters are small like mine were (small city blocks), or call for doubling back, it might be best to walk quickly or use a bike. In addition, I found out that folks in my town are friendlier than I thought. Quite a few people stopped to ask if we needed directions. I mean, there we were, with map and GPS, it did kinda look like we were lost! When we explained what we were doing, they wanted to know all about it. Another positive was that I walked around in streets where I very seldom go, and saw the most beautiful decorations and vistas with gaslights and cobblestones. Nice.