In this Discussion

Of the blue colour of the sky extra nice edition

Comments

• Have now downloaded the second disk (finally!!).  LOVE it!  Faves:

- Ira Glass, in general.  But especially his observation of the type of women in their songs.

- The nonsense lyrics in their demos (they talk about this in an interview).

- All four of them are doing the talking in the interviews, not just Damian.  Although Damian IS the predominent responder - especially when talking about the lyrics.

- Skycrapers Bristol Version

- The covers

Is that Andy singing the While You Were Asleep Demo?

• sooo. I guess my question (abv) has been answered: 

"Not only that, but if you buy the actual physical album, or if you buy the digital version straight from our site, you'll get a secret code that unlocks a database with a bunch of other stuff that wouldn't fit on the actual disc (we used the fat electrons) but is definitely still worth diving into."

sigh.  If I'd known that the iTunes download wouldn't gimme a download code, I woulda waited to buy the US edition instead :( :( :( 

I do wonder what exactly I've been missing out on now tho. ugh. curiosity sucks. >:C

• okgononsense said:

Is that Andy singing the While You Were Asleep Demo?

Definitely.  It sounds like a Secret Dakota Ring song. :-D

• Ahhhh... that may lend to the confusion that Andy wrote that song.
  • favorite ENE demo lyrics thus far (on Katmandu):

I asked, "Are you a monster."

You said, "No, I am not.  

But the things that monsters do,

Well yes, I do them a lot"

• Is it weird that I like the "Shooting the Moon" demo better than the final version? I guess it's the Twilight association that makes me not like the final version.

I wish there could've been an Extra Nice edition of the second album (cause it's my fav). I'm loving this creative control and independence the guys now have. :)

• I'm listening to disc 2 and I came very, very, close to falling out of my chair when I got to the IWYSB demo. The lyrics are so, so....so very strange. And Tim singing on two (or more...I'm going down the list and I'm only on BFK. Btw, the monster lyric made me laugh.) is super-fantastic. These were the reason I was going to buy the album, and I'm definitely ordering it ASAP. I'm excited to listen to the interview, the boys got some 'splainin to do about those silly words. 

Also, I love the STM demo much, much more than the released version. I <3 songs that Tim's prominent on. (As I'm typing this I'm getting farther along.)

• Tempe Arizona - I hope it's not weird, because I like the Bristol version of Skyscrapers better than the final version. 

Aleatory - I don't think the boys mention the silly lyrics in the interview with Ira.  It was on that long interview in Montreal (I posted a link in the "... pictures and stuff" thread).  They explained why they don't - actually can't - write the lyrics at the same time that they are developing the music.  The lyrics distract from the process of building the music - which evokes feelings and emotions, so they sing silly stuff or la, la, las... or apparently about hippie daughters and monsters...  I have heard them say in more than a couple of interviews how they always do the lyrics last.  In one interview with Dan, they had "finished the album" and he was already back home but he had no idea what the lyrics were because they hadn't been written yet.  Anyway, when I was finally able to download disk2, I was already expecting to hear some silly lyrics.  And I wasn't disappointed.

I have to admit, the main reason I ordered the download of ENE was to hear the in-depth interviews with Ira Glass (whom I adore.)  But I am loving every bit of it.

• Girlfriend, call me Tempe, everyone else does. Wink I tend to post more in the General Discussion area.

Is it hillarious that I wasn't really paying attention the first time I listened since I was on the phone with my sister, and I couldn't understand why the lads sound like girls in so many of these songs. I got a tad concerned. My sister pointed out, "perhaps their pants are on a tad too tight." Then I realized Tim was singing in a few of the demos. Sounds great, don't get me wrong. But if you're listening for the first time and not paying any attention expecting to hear Damian singing, it's a good way to confuse yourself and the neighbors.  

• Tempe Arizona said:

Is it weird that I like the "Shooting the Moon" demo better than the final version? I guess it's the Twilight association that makes me not like the final version.

Two things that make me laugh: 1) Tempe prefers the more Beatles-y version of a song?  That would *NEVER* happen. 2) The one boardie who has actually met Stephenie Meyer doesn't like a song because of its Twilight association. Kiss Love you, Tempe.

So I'm also going to take a moment in love of one of the demos - "Break the Sand."  I love this.  It sounds like something off Cantarell, and as soon as I listened to it my face quite literally erupted into a gigantic smile.  I was having a bad day and was listening on my lunch break, but as hard as the day had been I could not stop smiling.  As much as I like "While You Were Sleeping" I definitely feel like I understand the melodic direction of the song more now.

• okgononsense said:

Aleatory - I don't think the boys mention the silly lyrics in the interview with Ira.  It was on that long interview in Montreal (I posted a link in the "... pictures and stuff" thread).  They explained why they don't - actually can't - write the lyrics at the same time that they are developing the music.  The lyrics distract from the process of building the music - which evokes feelings and emotions, so they sing silly stuff or la, la, las... or apparently about hippie daughters and monsters...  I have heard them say in more than a couple of interviews how they always do the lyrics last.  In one interview with Dan, they had "finished the album" and he was already back home but he had no idea what the lyrics were because they hadn't been written yet.  Anyway, when I was finally able to download disk2, I was already expecting to hear some silly lyrics.  And I wasn't disappointed.

I have to admit, the main reason I ordered the download of ENE was to hear the in-depth interviews with Ira Glass (whom I adore.)  But I am loving every bit of it.

Oh, I see. That makes sense though. I kind of assumed "interview" meant "Ira Glass interview."

I think I should try to write some songs that way.

• DJRose said:

So I'm also going to take a moment in love of one of the demos - "Break the Sand."  I love this.  It sounds like something off Cantarell, and as soon as I listened to it my face quite literally erupted into a gigantic smile.  I was having a bad day and was listening on my lunch break, but as hard as the day had been I could not stop smiling.  As much as I like "While You Were Sleeping" I definitely feel like I understand the melodic direction of the song more now.

Even if this is not accurate, I'm totally calling "Breaking The Sand" a new Secret Dakota Ring song under the guise of an OK Go demo.

So ecstatic that they released it so we could hear this beautiful song. I simply love Andy's songwriting abilities/style and vocals. Even though I asked him if he wrote "While You Were Sleeping" and he said no, I just knew that it was originally one of his. You could just hear it in the melodies and feel. And yes, it sounds like it could have been on Cantarell.

I also really enjoy Ira's interviews. Wish they could have been longer as it feels like they were cut just before we got to hear the good parts. Or is that just me?

• beckysioux said:

I also really enjoy Ira's interviews. Wish they could have been longer as it feels like they were cut just before we got to hear the good parts. Or is that just me?

YES.  It does feel like they cut out really interesting stuff.  Which is not to say that they weren't the most interesting interviews I've heard/read in a long time - I mean really, how many times can we read that same question/answer about "people who say the videos overshadow the music"?

• So, um, I just realized that we called "While You Were Asleep" "While You Were Sleeping". Oopsie. I loves me some Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman, but they're two completely different things. Just wanted to point that out.

Anyhoozle, I don't think that they'll ever not be asked about the videos overshadowing their music until a) people listen to the music first and enjoy it or b) the boys stop making really awesome videos that people watch instead of listening to the music.

Still wish I knew what songs are aross' favorite/least favorite songs to play live. At least we know that Skyscrapers makes him anxious.

• I thought I read somewhere that the interview with Ira was over an hour.  I can only hope that they will eventually post more parts of the interview to the database in the near future.

• Hey guys

Would anyone mind posting up the lyrics to the demos? In particular If You're Down and Break the Sand? I'm having trouble trying to figure out some of the lyrics.

TIA!

• I've had problems trying to figure out some of the lyrics, too.

This is what I hear for "If You're Down"

Do you try to love a hippie, I've never seen you dance

And with your rare condition, I wonder if you can

I'll follow in the footsteps, I've followed in the snow

It's good to see the photos, but do your parents know?

I've tried to love a hippie, it's good to see you smile

And with their bad conditions, I'd take you for a while

Ba-ba-da-ba-duh

Well, if you're down, well I'll be around

And if you're down, well I'll be around

Yeah I'll be around, yeah I'll be around

Yeah I'll be around

Did you try to love a hippie, I've never seen you laugh

And with this sign of ?????, I wonder if you can

I've gone over the footsteps, I've really seen a soul

It seems like all the rouses' up, and wonders if you know

I've saw at the footlight, I kid you in the glass

I'll see you in the morning and doin' it in the glass

Gibberish

Gibberish

Well, if you're down, well I'll be around

And if you're down, well I'll be around

Yeah I'll be around, yeah I'll be around

Yeah I'll be around

This is what I hear for "Break The Sand"

I went down to the water today

Heard the ships die alone as they sink

When a pace on the waves on the ground

Break the sand where it covers the crown

Break the sand, break the sand

Where it covers up

What it covers up

• Thanks for the quick reply, Becky!

It seems like I've been singing the wrong lyrics for the past few weeks!Embarassed

• To those who purchased the CD:

I purchased the digi download.  Am I missing anything by not purchasing the CD?  Anything additional information on the liner notes or such?

• okgononsense said:

To those who purchased the CD:

I purchased the digi download.  Am I missing anything by not purchasing the CD?  Anything additional information on the liner notes or such?

I don't really think so.

Also, I disagree on Becky's "If You're Down" lyrics, although I could be wrong.  I always thought it was "Child of a hippie."