In this Discussion

ARoss vs. Andy Duncan?

edited November -1 in OK Go

So.. I was reading through the topic "Don't Ask Me" from the beginning (cuz I'm a nerd) and came upon this within the first few pages:

"However, in concert you'll notice that he just doesn't fit.  They never really bond all to much and when he does come out after the show, it's usually not with the other guys.  He's only done one interview before, too, and that was with Kikky at the Orlando show.  Kikky is another Juggler and she did the Orlando Fan Correspondant along with me, you can check out the videos on YouTube.  Also, Andy really is a professional recording artist:  he's been in a lot of other bands and is featured on some other albums.  He really is just a replacement, but it seems to be working out well enough.  He'll never have the same chemistry with the band as Andy Duncan did, though, but they are all trying their best to cope and that's all we can expect.

(New Person)Well, he's only been in the band for a year, which isn't really not a long time, when you consider that OK Go's been around for a good eight years, and that Tim and Damian have known each other for far longer. I feel like he's slowly falling into his place in the band. I mean, yeah, he'll never replace Andy Duncan, but if he sticks with the band for a long while, I feel like he's going to be another integral part."

I could be alone in this, but I find this almost as amusing as the interview I watched in which they talked about how Tim doesn't have the "rock look."  I'm pretty sure that Rusty is as much a part of the band as anybody else now.. and I guess I dunno much about the relationship Andy Duncan had with them all, cuz I've only seen him in music videos, but personally I can't imagine Duncan being anywhere near the same to the band as I think ARoss is now..

Jus' Sayin'.  ;)

Comments

• Haha, yeah. You also have to remember how long that "Don't Ask Me" thread has been around, since about a year and a half into ARoss joining the band. Seems like only yesterday. I wonder what it would have been like to be a long time fan of the band and then have Andy 2.0 come along. But there's no way I can picture the band now without him.
  • Well yes, I'm incredibly aware of that.  I just find it funny that people ever felt that way.  That was more the point of this topic.  xD

That thread is also making me wonder whether I should consider myself really lucky to have Appendices and two song from the Six Song Demo on my ipod.. probably not, with the new age of the internet, but still, it's boosting my music nerd ego.  xD

Now to get the last four...

• Totalgeek42 said:

That thread is also making me wonder whether I should consider myself really lucky to have Appendices and two song from the Six Song Demo ...

Yes, you *should* consider yourself lucky.  I have no idea how to get my hands on a copy of the Appendices - digital or otherwise...  

• Really?  :O

I feel awesome now.  :D

I'd be willing to email, although if you're against the idea of not paying for their music tha's cool.  xP

• Totalgeek42 said:

Really?  :O

I feel awesome now.  :D

I'd be willing to email, although if you're against the idea of not paying for their music tha's cool.  xP

If it makes you feel better, Jorge is aware that we pass around appendices and those other rarities and is completely okay with it.  The band has no way of collecting money for those recordings.  Now, if you were to do this with the Pink or Brown EPs, which are available through the store, that would be another story.  But Appendices is A.O.K.

That said, yes, it is very funny to think that there was ever a point where fans were doubting ARoss's ability to work with the band.  I've seen both ARoss and Andy Duncan play with OK Go, and I've seen ARoss as Secret Dakota Ring and with his old band The Unsacred Hearts.  The guy is an amazing guitarist and songwriter. 

• I would like to have had the opportunity to see Andy Duncan in action in person. Frown

And now newbies are "Who's this other guy? Andy Duncan? Who?" 

When I saw "Get Over It" and saw Andy D's Cheap Trick T-shirt, I thought, who is THIS guy and why does he have such an awesome shirt?? I thought it was adorable when the camera showed him on his toes – was that kinda his thing, like Damian's thing (one of his things) is the Power Stance ™?

In other news —- you wanna slide some o' those Appendices my way??

edit - Forgot to comment on this: It's really awesome that our boys' new album has Aross's work on it. I wonder if he has more of a sense of ownership of these songs since he was part of the recording of it.

• violetchaos364 said:

I would like to have had the opportunity to see Andy Duncan in action in person. Frown

And now newbies are "Who's this other guy? Andy Duncan? Who?" 

When I saw "Get Over It" and saw Andy D's Cheap Trick T-shirt, I thought, who is THIS guy and why does he have such an awesome shirt?? I thought it was adorable when the camera showed him on his toes – was that kinda his thing, like Damian's thing (one of his things) is the Power Stance ™?

In other news —- you wanna slide some o' those Appendices my way??

edit - Forgot to comment on this: It's really awesome that our boys' new album has Aross's work on it. I wonder if he has more of a sense of ownership of these songs since he was part of the recording of it.

Heheh, the toes and Cheap Trick T-shirt... memories. Smile

Also, I have asked several people, several times, and I, too, have no Appendices. I figured it was personal Embarassed

• Hi all, I've got a digicopy of Appendices which I got by BTing (i know, i know, tsktsk bad girl) and I'm willing to send it out to those who are yearning to fill their CD collections, but ure gonna hafta gimme a coupla days to get this dissertation outta the way so I can figure out how best to send it out to yous :) 

Just PM me your email, and I'll send it thru ASAP.  

p.s. just a confession to make, I couldn't quite get my head round the Appendices CD, it sounded a bit too...perhaps green? fresh? for me.  Just...really different fm what OK Go has evolved into, and for that I am super happy. Nth makes me happier than seeing/hearing beloved bands grow and mature as I do (or so I hope I've been doing lol) x

• Totalgeek42 said:

I am COMPLETELY against the idea of not paying for music.  In fact, I was listening to OK Go long before I knew who they were (saw their videos much later).  My husband brought home their music on a flash drive because he thought I would like them (hope in the face of hopelessness describes me quite well).  When I finally found out who the band was, I purchased their three CDs - even though I already had the music - because it was the right thing to do.

Now, having stated that, if the Appendices is really not available for purchase, my ethics will allow me to accept them via email... with much gratitude = )

• ChristelAdina said:

Also, I have asked several people, several times, and I, too, have no Appendices. I figured it was personal Embarassed

No, it's not personal, promise.  I've posted about a gazillion times that my copies are too big to email and that I've tried giving copies to people before and it just plain won't send.  Maybe when I get my new computer I'll magically be able to fix this situation, but who knows.  We used to have this brilliant setup with the songs account; there was a gmail account where we had all uploaded all our rarities and we would share the password amongst boardies.  But on more than one occasion it was infiltrated by unsavory individuals, and the songs were constantly being lost in a "this is why we can't have nice things" fashion.  By that point, OKGoCentral.com was up and running and doing the hosting work for us, so we didn't bother to keep it up.  But then eventually it went away too; the guy who ran it wasn't a boardie, so no one really knows why.  Since then it's been an ongoing problem on the board.  None of us oldtimers have had the time to get a new songs account up and running, and we're all burned on that front anyway.  The band's attitude towards this stuff is "We don't mind if people have it and share it, but it's not really who we are anymore so we don't want to play a part in the distribution" which I totally understand. 

Jol, to get your head around Appendices you've gotta spend a few hours with The Pixies.  Then it will all make sense.  Thank you for being willing to get copies out to the newbies. 
  • Alrighty. I will make it my mission to create and maintain a gmail account for all the songs that are not available for purchase or download through legal channels because they simply don't exist in those realms. I will have this ready by tomorrow come hell or high water (and with our current temps in Chicago, we might get high water, which really kinda sucks).

Once I figure out the name of the gmail account, I will post it here or perhaps make a new thread or just go back to the Appendices thread. Either way, I will get the word out.

I do however have a favor to ask, do any of your have aross' original 4 songs as SDR? I've heard them once when I was at t-dog's house many moons ago and really, really, really want them. If you do have them, please add them to the gmail account once it's set up.

To get back to this thread's intent, I've never seen Andy Duncan. I didn't get into OK Go until 2006 and I think aross was with them for about a year, probably less. But if aross hadn't been in the band I probably wouldn't be on this forum right now. Yep, fell hook line and sinker that night.

Also, I've noticed that Andy signs his emails/posts/etc with "aross" yet I see people write it as "ARoss" or "Aross". Since he actually uses "aross" for his sig, that's how I've come to write it out when I reference him, which is often as of late. Much like getting "OK Go" right, will we ever get "aross" right? It's just one of those minor annoyances for me.

Anyhoozle, I'll get that gmail account set up hopefully tonight and have her ready in the morning. I'm pretty sure I have all of Appendices. I have more to say about it, but I think I'll leave that for the other thread. Back to Andy Duncan and aross talk Wink

• beckysioux said:

Alrighty. I will make it my mission to create and maintain a gmail account for all the songs that are not available for purchase or download through legal channels because they simply don't exist in those realms. I will have this ready by tomorrow come hell or high water (and with our current temps in Chicago, we might get high water, which really kinda sucks).

You would be my hero forever and ever. Laugh

As for the topic at hand... I never knew the band before aross. Which really confused me when I'd watch videos such as "Get Over It" and then watched "A Million Ways". That was back before the obsession began, haha. Anyway, as far as I've seen, aross is just as much a part of OK Go now as Andy Duncan was before. I would have loved to have known the band with Andy Duncan, but I can't complain- aross is really very endearing. Smile

• okgononsense said:
    Totalgeek42 said:

I am COMPLETELY against the idea of not paying for music.  In fact, I was listening to OK Go long before I knew who they were (saw their videos much later).  My husband brought home their music on a flash drive because he thought I would like them (hope in the face of hopelessness describes me quite well).  When I finally found out who the band was, I purchased their three CDs - even though I already had the music - because it was the right thing to do.

Now, having stated that, if the Appendices is really not available for purchase, my ethics will allow me to accept them via email... with much gratitude = )

Oh yeah, me too.. the only reason I was willing to get appendices emailed was that I knew I coudln't buy it anywhere.. like I hate the "oh you don't lose property, really, if it's a digitalcopy, so it's okay" mentality.. drives me crazy.  xP

That being said, if anybody wants the album before the account is set up just message me your email or something.  Unless it'salready been set up. In which case I'm just a loser.  xP

• beckysioux said:

To get back to this thread's intent, I've never seen Andy Duncan. I didn't get into OK Go until 2006 and I think aross was with them for about a year, probably less. But if aross hadn't been in the band I probably wouldn't be on this forum right now. Yep, fell hook line and sinker that night.

Also, I've noticed that Andy signs his emails/posts/etc with "aross" yet I see people write it as "ARoss" or "Aross". Since he actually uses "aross" for his sig, that's how I've come to write it out when I reference him, which is often as of late. Much like getting "OK Go" right, will we ever get "aross" right? It's just one of those minor annoyances for me.

Anyhoozle, I'll get that gmail account set up hopefully tonight and have her ready in the morning. I'm pretty sure I have all of Appendices. I have more to say about it, but I think I'll leave that for the other thread. Back to Andy Duncan and aross talk Wink

Becky you rock. TG and anyone else who has offered the Appendices, does too.

As for aross, I type ARoss because otherwise it tries to autocorrect to across. As for ADuncan, I was a fan back then, but because I never saw the band, and I now am so plugged in to the current stuff, I default to current lineup. That said, when I think of OK Go, I think of the music and the energy, so I think of a unit (like Beatles). I have to switch mental gears when contemplating the individual members (probably because I haven't seen them live).

• I only discovered the band a few months ago (three cheers for being so late), so I was very confused when I saw a Duncan somewhere and a Ross somewhere else. Though now, after I've learned all these things about them, and since I've never actually seen Andy D with the band unless it's old pictures and old music videos, I always think of ARoss.

On the account of ARoss's name, I spelled it with the A and R capitalized because it irks me to no end when it's not. My inner Grammar Stalin reigns again...

• Totalgeek42 said:

Well yes, I'm incredibly aware of that.  I just find it funny that people ever felt that way.  That was more the point of this topic.  xD

That thread is also making me wonder whether I should consider myself really lucky to have Appendices and two song from the Six Song Demo on my ipod.. probably not, with the new age of the internet, but still, it's boosting my music nerd ego.  xD

Now to get the last four...

Haha, that was me! You're welcome, btdubs.

Try checking the new Gmail account, ask Becky for the pass. I need the last four also...

• Aleatory said:
    Totalgeek42 said:

Well yes, I'm incredibly aware of that.  I just find it funny that people ever felt that way.  That was more the point of this topic.  xD

Now to get the last four…

Haha, that was me! You're welcome, btdubs.

Try checking the new Gmail account, ask Becky for the pass. I need the last four also…

That said, when I think of OK Go, I think of the music and the energy, so I think of a unit (like Beatles). I have to switch mental gears when contemplating the individual members (probably because I haven't seen them live).

OH MY GOODNESS. You must come to the next P-town show. Remember, I have connections.

:D

EDIT: Oh shoot, I quoted myself? That was weird. Sorry. Apparently if you click "post reply" and the last post is one that you wrote, it automatically quotes you. Strange.

• Yess, thank you very much.  ;)

And thank youuu, becky.. you have fantastic songs on that account.  Like I got mad excited.  :O

I love how I originally meant this to be aross vs duncan.  Ah well, it's still OK Go related.  xD

• Okay, so, newsflash: That quote from the DAM thread was made several years ago, and I'm pretty sure it was made by Karleigh. For those newer arrivals, Karleigh showed up on the Boards and made 1,000 posts in a week. I'm not kidding. I was really good friends with her for a while, and while she can be totally awesome, she can also be pretty nuts. I know this. I was one of the Ks.

In the end, I think that post was random nonsense - Andy Duncan seems to be a pretty nice guy, and he's in another band now. The whole Ross vs. Duncan thing, which has (obvs) been brought up before, is a silly non-issue. The Old School Boardies were used to Duncan, the New School Boardies are used to Ross, and us Middle Schoolers who got caught in the middle... well, speaking for myself, it's not a big deal. (For what it's worth, the first time I saw OK Go, aross had been in the band for two weeks.)

On a slightly unrelated, somewhat bitchy note, I believe requests for songs should either go in the "All Known OK Go Songs" thread or on Becky's new thread or somewhere more appropriate.

• I know aross vs. duncan is a non issue.  I wasn't trying to start anything, I was just commenting on how I found that post funny.. I could be reading that post's tone wrong, but there's absolutely no reason that I can see to try to scold me for making a thread (topic?) like this..