In this Discussion

OK Go on TV shows, movies commercials etc.

Comments

• Haha, noticed the typo too! Lol for spelling nazis.

My favourite part of the whole thing is the

"Jingle"

"Bells!"

"Jingle"

"BELLS!!"

exchange. So funny.

• I was bringing up NBC.com to watch last nights episode of The Sing Off and the advertisement that played before the show was this:  

I think one of the girls is Laura Prepon (Donna on That '70s Show). It's been out since October 5! How did we miss it? 

• and their Jingle Bells Flip video freaks me out. The chins are funny. It's the voices that get me. aaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaaLLLLLaaaaaaaaLLLLLLLaaaaaaaaaLLLLLLLaaaaaaaaaaa (I say loudly as I cover my ears but it doesn't work because I can still hear them IN MY HEAD!)
  • So, this isn't necessarily on TV, but they will be doing a live interview with the Huffington Post for Creative Minds 2011 on December 16th at 1pm EST. It was actually supposed to be today at 3pm EST, but they had a technical glitch. Which is actually a blessing in disguise as I had no idea it was happening today.

I really hope my work doesn't mind me watching it. And I really hope HuffPost uses one my questions. That would be super keen.

• beckysioux said:

So, this isn't necessarily on TV, but they will be doing a live interview with the Huffington Post for Creative Minds 2011 on December 16th at 1pm EST. It was actually supposed to be today at 3pm EST, but they had a technical glitch. Which is actually a blessing in disguise as I had no idea it was happening today.

I really hope my work doesn't mind me watching it. And I really hope HuffPost uses one my questions. That would be super keen.

Oh! I would watch that, if it wasn't for school.

• Cool!  I telecommute on that day so I can watch it.  Wait - that's 10:00 PT?  It looks like I have a teleconference I need to reschedule...
  • Don't forget about the live interview with Huffington Post Creative Minds 2011 today at 1pm EST!

ETA: So, yeah, the interview was lame. At least I thought so. Pretty much all the questions asked were fluff. Don't know if the interviewer actually looked at the questions people posted that weren't on the front page.

However, there was a good question from American Express something or other on FB. They asked what was the inspiration for White Knuckles. Damian kinda answered, but didn't. He said something like it was about someone close to him that was trying too hard. He didn't want to name the person it was about. He went on about it for a while, but that was the gist of it. And the moral of the song was to loosen up.

Found out that they are going to or try to collaborate with Pilobolus Dance Theater in 2011. I think it was for a video.

Also that Damian likes to direct. Trying to remember exactly what he said is hard, but he said that writing songs is very internal and it's just you. With directing it's very gregarious and open and there are a lot of people there. Something like that.

Either way, I'm kinda pissy none of my questions got asked. Then again, I wasn't asking the same dumb questions everyone else was, so I'm sure mine were just skipped over. Plus the interview was only about 20 minutes. With delay. Meh.

• Thanks for the recap, Becky.  I was unable to get out of my meeting to watch.  Maybe they'll have it captured somewhere?
  • Hi all, here's a really short video interview with Damian done by Wall Street Journal (who apparently have called their hit "Here We Go Again". I mean srsly, WSJ??? >:(  - i've left them a comment correcting them so hopefully they'll change that soon enuf; dunno what theyre gonna do with the voice over in the interview tho lol) 

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/16/ok-gos-damian-kulash-explains-his-viral-video-philosophy/?mod=rss_WSJBlog

• beckysioux said:

Found out that they are going to or try to collaborate with http://www.pilobolus.com/;

also wondering if the boys will show up in leotards for their next vid ;) x

• okgononsense said:Thanks for the recap, Becky.  I was unable to get out of my meeting to watch.  Maybe they'll have it captured somewhere?

Looks like they'll have it tomorrow: Missed the live interview? The Huffington Post is currently editing the video and will post it here within one day. Stay tuned!

laydeejol said:

also wondering if the boys will show up in leotards for their next vid ;) x

I love them, but no.

• Damian will be on NPR's All Things Considered today to talk about Net Neutrality according to their twitter feed. Check your local listings.
  • So I'm finally listening to Damian's NPR Talk of the Nation piece from earlier today. I wasn't sure where to post about it (it's not an article. but there's no "radio show" thread and it's more specific than "stuff". It's not really "TV, movies, commercials", either…I guess it's "etc.").

Anyone have any comments or thoughts? I've got a few, but I kind of want a discussion (rather than me just blurting out MY take).

I also want to know if anyone else got the mental picture of the dying major-label-model of the industry as a great, wounded behemoth thrashing its tail of braided amplifier cables in fear, gnashing the broken shards of vinyl it has for teeth, wailing in an archaic (possibly ancient analog) language with its shiny, sharpened compact-disc-claws slicing through the air as it tries in vain to dislodge the giant iPod it has been impaled upon? In its last rattling gasp, it raises a lone, defiant CD-claw and screeches "I still have Gaga…" ?©

…When Damian says that music doesn't really have anything to do with technology or plastic discs; that that's  "…just sort of one finger of the beast…" ??

No???

Just me, then? Embarassed

(I wish I could draw)

But, seriously, thoughts? Ideas? Debate?

• ChristelAdina said:

I also want to know if anyone else got the mental picture of the dying major-label-model of the industry as a great, wounded behemoth thrashing its tail of braided amplifier cables in fear, gnashing the broken shards of vinyl it has for teeth, wailing in an archaic (possibly ancient analog) language with its shiny, sharpened compact-disc-claws slicing through the air as it tries in vain to dislodge the giant iPod it has been impaled upon? In its last rattling gasp, it raises a lone, defiant CD-claw and screeches "I still have Gaga…" ?©

This bit was so funny I sent it to my friend at the Future of Music Coalition.  You may not be able to draw, but you sure can write.

I guess I've heard Damian have this conversation so many times, and had similar conversations so many times, that I was kind of bored by the interview.   But I agreed with what he said. 

• DJRose said:
    ChristelAdina said:

This bit was so funny I sent it to my friend at the Future of Music Coalition.  You may not be able to draw, but you sure can write.

I guess I've heard Damian have this conversation so many times, and had similar conversations so many times, that I was kind of bored by the interview.   But I agreed with what he said. 

Oooh! What a lovely compliment, thanks! I guess I draw with description.

Yeah, I was kind of bored with the Damian part of the interview, too. However, I was kind of interested (in a point-and-giggle way, if I'm totally honest Embarassed) in the callers. Mainly because I had those conversations years ago, but they do bring up a few things Damian hasn't significantly touched on lately and I wondered what others here thought.

I also wondered how the guy could be "about 30" and have worked at record shop that went out of business because of the internet while he was in high school. I know it's probably just his mis-phrasing, but his muck-up of the math leads me to suspect he's making his backstory up as he goes along. Wink 

• Yes, the description is hilarious and vivid—it is its own drawing. I wouldn't mind seeing it as a creature feature stop-frame animation, though.

The NPR interview did seem to cover much the same ground as the WSJ article and other interviews before it. But I liked the passage where Damian's describing the old system where most of the marketing dollars went to MTV, corporate radio, or record labels: "basically everybody who wanted to make music was in some way scratching their way up the totem pole hoping that some of those corporate dollars come down through the label somewhere so that they get an advance and get to make a record." Nice image and made me think: yep, he was not only "raised amid the trickle-down days," he also lived them within the record industry.

The callers were pretty funny. The guy who makes music on spec: what kind of thing is he producing, I wonder? Plus, that IS some fuzzy math. He was pretty clear though when he said that the big labels "expect you to have already done the work."

So what does replace the labels as the bank for bands just starting out? In the interview (and the WSJ article), Damian cites Corey Smith, who gives away music online as promotion for his touring and merchandise, and has done well that way. He also gives the example of Killola, whose use of Aderra USBs paid for their tour at a time in their career where most bands would be touring at a serious loss.

But might something else take the place of those labels as venture capital? Is it going to have to be fan donations/ crowdsourcing? Would actual venture capitalists possibly do this, in a microlending way? Might there be financing deals created for companies like Disc Makers? I've watched several friends struggle through this with first CDs/first tours in different ways, so I wonder about it.

Just noticed that this is post number 777 on this thread. Lucky? Hmmm. I guess it's lucky when you can catch major typos and edit before there is no more editing. Otherwise, I'm not so sure. Today was not the best of days.

• Today was not the best of days, for this board or otherwise for me. However, my inability to respond earlier was apparently a good thing as far as typos go. Yes, PemiBlue, I do have ideas about financing, venture capital and support, specifically for bands that, unlike OK Go, may have never had any label backing before (and I have actual business proposals for some of those ideas too, though they need updates, because I was originally pitching many of them 5+ years ago!). 

However, I've already had complete, fatigue-induced collapse this evening, so I'm not up to answering/discussing it tonight. Frown I will give the thread another BUMP, though, in case anyone else wants to jump in. I'll try to come back to the topic this weekend (because I am sincerely interested in what people on here, specifically, might think).

• I think this is the right topic to post videos, right?

haven't seen this posted anywhere else! except for all the nice pictures, but the videos, no! the photos I have seen ages ago, but Vimeo says the videos were only posted 5 days ago O.o

and they're too adorable not to share

http://vimeo.com/18779517

and

http://vimeo.com/18782859

if it is posted somewhere else I am so so sorry, I've looked (on the 'search' at least, nothing about 'barcelona cultura').

:)

• laeticia said:

I think this is the right topic to post videos, right?

haven't seen this posted anywhere else! except for all the nice pictures, but the videos, no! the photos I have seen ages ago, but Vimeo says the videos were only posted 5 days ago O.o

and they're too adorable not to share

http://vimeo.com/18779517

and

http://vimeo.com/18782859

if it is posted somewhere else I am so so sorry, I've looked (on the 'search' at least, nothing about 'barcelona cultura').

:)

hjkfghkfjhgf. Damian and Tim splashing water in the pool. I think I started hyperventilating.. SO CUTE.

Sorry... fan girl moment there. But those are some pretty sweet videos! I haven't seen any of them before.

• sorreeeh again

but

just saw this:

this illustration looks pretty awesome!