In this Discussion

We. Have. Gmail!

Comments

• THANK YOU BECKY Laugh
  • Yay Becky! You rock!
  • Thank you, Becky! This account has absolutely made my winter days brighter!
  • I wanted to upload a file to the gmail account this morning, but it was too big, so I put it on sendspace.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1hhlp3

It's the full recording of the All Songs Considered podcast of the 11/19/06 show at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC.  If you go to All Songs Considered directly, it cuts out a few songs.  This is the whole show.

• DJRose said:

I wanted to upload a file to the gmail account this morning, but it was too big, so I put it on sendspace.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1hhlp3

It's the full recording of the All Songs Considered podcast of the 11/19/06 show at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC.  If you go to All Songs Considered directly, it cuts out a few songs.  This is the whole show.

Thanks Rachel!

• rachel is SO. FULL. OF. WIN. :) 

thx! x

• how do i get on this gmail thing? am i allowed?:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
  • Hey Rae (love your name. :-)) Send a PM to Beckysioux.  She'll send you the Password.  I'll let her continue the spiel from here on.
  • Rae Imeson said:

how do i get on this gmail thing? am i allowed?:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Hi Rae and welcome! You are allowed to be on the gmail thing. Below are the ground rules and what you will need to do to obtain the password:

Alright kids, the gmail account is up and running. First, a few ground rules.

1. Please do not change the password.
    2. Please do not delete any messages.
    3. Please do not upload any content that can be purchased from the band, i.e. Pink EP, Brown EP, Extra Nice Edition.

As of right now the gmail account has Appendices, Six Song Demo and a few live & rare tracks.

If you have any problems downloading any of the songs, please let me know via PM on here and we'll figure something out.

The gmail account has been aptly named: okgoappendices.

For now, I will not post the password in the public forum. If you
    want it, you gotta work for it. And by work I mean PM'ing me for the
    password. I check the boards at least once a day, so please be patient
    if I don't reply with the password immediately.

The above was taken from the first post in this thread should you need to refer back to it.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • I'm feelin' as though I oughtta bump this (also I needed it for something), 'cause there are lots of new people here, and I try to spread the OK Go lovin' as much as possible.  *Nodnod*
  • And I give you a wholehearted THANK YOU! I never thought I would be able to listen to the appendices. I give you my gratitude and three smiley faces.

Laugh Laugh Laugh
  • 'Ello--I added a bunch of live stuff.

Becky--I followed your instructions in this thread and left the messages in the inbox, but they can all go into "Live."  I'm wondering if you'll want to make subfolders: I should have made my subject lines show dates or some kind of thematic something-or-other.  I put the songs in the subject lines per your instructions on here, forgetting that the other multi-song messages on there weren't named that way.  Oops.  (I was thinking I had seen other ones like that, run-on song-title subject lines, but what I had actually seen were the truncated messages in the threads on there.  Whoops.)  Sorry for the mix-up.

Here's the list (these descriptions are also in the messages):

- What to Do - Live [replaces incomplete file in msg Live & Rare & Random 3]

- Bye Bye Baby - Live -->this is not the one in msg Live & Rare & Random 4

- Hello, My Treacherous Friends - Live

- The Fix Is In - Live

- Get Over It (Xfm Session) - Live - X-Ray Cd #04 -->this is not the one in msg Live & Rare & Random 2

- T's Song - Live 2000 09-23 Chicago, Empty Bottle
    - Unrequited Orchestra of Locomotion - Live 2000 09-23 Chicago, Empty Bottle -->this is not the one in msg Live & Rare & Random 5

- Don't Ask Me - Live 2002 11-24 -->this is not the one in msg Live & Rare & Random 1
    - There's a Fire - Live 2002 11-24 
    - What to Do - Live 2002 11-24 -->this is not the one in msg Live & Rare & Random 3
    - Hello, My Treacherous Friends - Live 2002 11-24 --> this is not the one from my previous email containing Bye Bye Baby & The Fix Is In
    - Jessie's Girl - Live 2002 11-24 --> This is from the same show as the Jessie's Girl in msg Live & Rare & Random 5, but it's a different recording.  Thought it'd be worth putting up because it's clearer, louder, you can hear things like Damian coughing & laughing at the beginning, etc.
    - Get Over It - Live 2002 11-24 -->this is not the one in msg Live & Rare & Random 2

- Invincible - Live 2005 4-6 Montreal
    - No Sign of Life - Live 2005 4-6 Montreal

- Neat Neat Neat - Live 2006 11-19 Npr All Songs Considered Washington, D.C. 9:30 Club

- Here It Goes Again - Live 2006 11- icebergradio.com 2006 November -->this is not the one in msg Live & Rare & Random 2

- Wave of Mutilation - Live 2006 on Tropical Pizza, Italy

- A Million Ways - Live 2007 02-20 Bremen

- Shooting the Moon - Live 2009 03-05 at Wmmr 93.3 Preston and Steve

- Back from Kathmandu - Live 2009 11-05 CD101 102.5 Big Room

- This Too Shall Pass Ok Go Live 2010 03-05 Like a Version Triple J
    - Wave of Mutilation Ok Go Live 2010 03-05 Like a Version Triple J

- A Good Idea at the Time - Live 2007 05-27 DJK and Bonerama, Musicians Bringing Musicians Home II, Tipitina's, New Orleans
    - It's a Disaster - Live 2007 05-27 DJK and Bonerama
    - Oh Lately It's So Quiet - Live 2007 05-27 DJK and Bonerama
    - Rock 'n' Roll Suicide - Live 2007 05-27 DJK and Bonerama
    - Rock 'n' Roll Suicide with intro - Live 2007 05-27 DJK and Bonerama

I also uploaded a show (Live 2006 05-19 from Steel Music Hall, Rochester, NY) here:  .

Enjoy! Smile
  • Thanks Sherib! :D a fab selection of additions indeed!

Just wanted to ask, does the last sendspace file for the live performance stop halfway after Get Over It? x
  • You're welcome!

Yup, it ends there.  Had to go check–I haven't listened to that in awhile.  I'm not sure if that's due to faulty downloading or if that's just how it actually was on whatever site I got it from (and I of course don't remember the site now …).

*Der, listen to the intro, Sheri, to find out what the site/program was … It was Universal Buzz Radio, which appears to not exist anymore.

*Second edit: If anyone cares for my editorial on what I uploaded, I love Neat Neat Neat, Rock 'N' Roll Suicide, and both of the Wave of Mutilations.  (Waves of Mutilation?)  Especially digging the Triple J Wave of Mutilation right now.

And the live T's Song and Unrequited Orchestra from 9/23/00 are both new to me, so those have been awesome to hear.

*Third and final edit: "No Sign" is currently on as I listen to that Steel Music Hall show.  !  Seeing "No Sign" live has been sadly missing from my life for too long now.  Though I hear it's been sadly missing from everyone's lives.

(It conveniently starts at 10:00 in that file.)  
  • Oh. Wow.

Thanks for the additions, Sheri! I haven't had a chance to download and listen, but I will eventually. I think your idea about subfolders is a good one, just don't know how they would be categorized. Mayhap "Live - concert", "Live - radio", etc. Anyone have any better ideas for the subfolders?
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • No problem. Smile  As far as subfolders, I just meant it might be a good idea for making heads or tails of my unitardedly subject-lined messages, especially since my file names only have the song titles as well (but my album metadata is nice and detailed, so people's downloads should group together nicely in iTunes, etc.).  For instance, maybe my message with the 11/24/02 songs could be put into a subfolder called 11/24/02.  And the DJK/Bonerama message could be put into a subfolder that says that.

I do think subfolders of "Live – Concert" and "Live – Radio/Internet Appearance" would be good, though.  Perhaps I'm too worried about my subject lines, and my messages could just be dropped into "Live – Concert" and "Live – Radio/Internet Appearance" folders without the (for example) "11/24/02" subfolder in-between.  I assume that people who go to the songs account and see, for example, "Wave of Mutilation" in two subject lines will click into the messages to see if they are different recordings rather than assume the files are doubles and skip over them.

Or I could simply delete the messages I sent and resend them with better subject lines, solving that issue altogether. ?

Btw, here and there over the years I've gathered some dates for a few of our old stand-by live recordings.  Don't ask me where/how–I can't remember exactly for all of them; it's pretty much been through bits and pieces of info I've seen in old board threads and ancient Web pages where people listed their collected live mp3s and happened to list dates.  A couple of them have been guesses on my part–for instance, I saw "The Boys Are Back in Town (live)" listed on somebody's old site with the date 4/11/2001.  Though I wasn't able to listen to the mp3 referred to on that list, I made the leap, based on the other live song titles on the list, that this person had a lot of the same live covers in our Live & Rare collection we've all shared for years and that the mp3 they had of "The Boys Are Back in Town" from 4/11/01 was the same one we have.  In other instances, there may have been other tracks we already have with the same date.  For instance, I found the actual mp3 of the live "Aren't We Dozy?" (often listed as "Easy Chair") somewhere online, labeled 9/23/00, and it's the same one that we have all had for awhile from the other songs account.  Somewhere else, I found the same live "C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips" that we have, and it was labeled 9/23/00.  Sweet!  Well, somewhere else, on somebody's ancient Web page mp3 list with dates (without the mp3s there to download and listen to), I found the above two songs listed, with 9/23/00 as the date.  Well, this list also had "Laserlight Sister" listed as 9/23/00.  Now, we could be purists and decide not to label our Live & Rare "Laserlight Sister" as 9/23/00 without being able to listen to the mp3s on that old Web page list and compare them.  But.  When you listen to the other 9/23/00 tracks and listen to our "Laserlight Sister," it blends perfectly.  The crowd sounds the same, the band sounds the same, the sound sounds the same.  I made the leap from that that our "Laserlight Sister" is indeed 9/23/00.  And so on and so forth.

So.  Keeping my above-described research rationale in mind, y'all can decide to use the following dates I've come to accept or decide not accept them–but if you do want them, here they are (these are songs that were already in the gmail songs account before I uploaded anything.  The ones I uploaded to gmail already have dates in their album metadata):

"Oliver's Army" – 9/15/00 Chicago, Empty Bottle (this is in message Live & Rare & Random 3)

"Aren't We Dozy?" – 9/23/00 Chicago, Empty Bottle (message Live & Rare & Random 5)
    "C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips" – 9/23/00 Chicago, Empty Bottle (message Live & Rare & Random 1)
    "Laserlight Sister" – 9/23/00 Chicago, Empty Bottle (message Live & Rare & Random 2)

"Crimson & Clover" – 12/9/00 (message Live & Rare & Random 1)

"The Boys Are Back in Town" – 4/11/01 (message Live & Rare & Random 3)

"It's Tough to Have a Crush" – 10/29/01 (message Live & Rare & Random 5)

"Get Over It" – 10/29/01 (message Live & Rare & Random 2)

"Panic" – 10/29/01 (message Live & Rare & Random 1)

"Kiss Me Son of God" – 10/29/01 (message Live & Rare & Random 1)

"Jessie's Girl" – 11/24/02 (message Live & Rare & Random 5)

"Bye Bye Baby" – 4/6/05 Montreal (message Live & Rare & Random 4)

"Crash the Party" – 4/6/05 Montreal (messages Live & Rare & Random 4 and 5)

"Oh Lately It's So Quiet" – 4/6/05 Montreal (message Live & Rare & Random 4)

"Television Television" – 4/6/05 Montreal (message Live & Rare & Random 4)

Also, I have these dates (these are definite):

"Crash the Party" – 5/17/03 Summer Breeze University of Chicago (message Various 1)

Q101 Pontiac Garage show is 2/17/06

"Here It Goes Again" Alice Acoustic Lounge is 11/2/06 (message Various 1)

"Prove My Love" is 7/7/07 (message "Prove My Love live" in Live folder)

"TTSP" & "HIGA" from backstage at Bonnaroo are 6/2010 (message Live & Rare & Random 4)

Also, do we want to upload interviews?

Also, are the 5 podcasts not around anymore/should we put those up?

Also, the audio blogs are still available on the blog (thewilltorock.blogspot.com) if you page and page through it looking for them as they pop up, but I have all of them saved in one place.  Do we want those on gmail for convenience?  If so, do we just want the more unique ones (Theatre in the Blog, Tim's Love Therapy [It's Tough to Have a Crush], Dan's audio blogs, Damian's phone thank you after Grammys), or all of them?

*P.S. Katy or anyone else, do you still have Bruise Grey (live)?  I've never had it and would love to hear it!
  • Added "This Too Shall Pass" from Moog Sound Lab.
  •  I went looking around the webs about OK Go-goodness, and found a site that allows anyone to listen to the appendices. This asks two questions...

1) I know the songs are downloadable here, but why aren't the appendices open to the average music fan? Is it because he only wants true fans to dig for it?

2) If they AREN'T meant to be out in the open, should I ask the guy to take it down? Or is it okay?

Help would be nice! :)
  • I had spoken with Damian about Appendices a while ago. I can't remember exactly what I asked or what he answered. I'm pretty sure he said this album wouldn't be re-released as some of it is from college and just him and friends playing around. He also downplayed it as being kinda shitty (as most musicians tend to do about their earlier stuff before they find their sound). But he did basically say that if someone digs for it, they can find it.

This person obviously found it and is probably making it easier for other fans to find it. To my knowledge, Damian isn't making any money off of this album, so it probably isn't an issue if someone put this up for others to listen to, kind of like what we have with the gmail.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • What Becky said.  The guys have long been okay with us all passing along Appendices.  The reason we're so high security with the Gmail account is that we have had people go in and delete all the stuff from the account, change the password, that kind of crap.  This means we have to start all over again with the Gmail account which is a gigantic pain in the ass.