In this Discussion

Video Ideas

Comments

• beckysioux said:
    Snack_Cakes said:
    beckysioux said:
    samanferr! said:

And I tried listening to Last Leaf with good-ish headphones to try to hear the frogs but I can't :(  If they do end up making the video, if it was just Damian in a dark room in black and white, it would be perfect, to me anyway. 

You can hear the frogs on the CD version. Once Before the Earth Was Round is over, turn up the volume and you can hear someone say something and then the frogs in the background. I don't know why, but the iTunes version cuts the first 12 seconds and goes directly to the guitar.

I'm only now seeing this post. How much other stuff have I missed? I guess I'm not checking the boards often or thoroughly enough.

Becky, how do you hear these things? I never would have picked up on that. Very cool.

And since it's become a boardie thing to announce, my sum is 23!

Like I said above, Damian told me that you could hear frogs in the background. Since I have both versions on my iPod, I noticed that Last Leaf didn't start as quickly on the CD version as on the iTunes version. Then I turned it up and found the awesome frogs. Had Damian not told me there were frogs in the background of the recording, I probably would have never gone looking for them.

And speaking of quiet/random things on recordings, if you turn up the volume toward the end of Losing Eyeballs from Cantarell, you can hear movement and a chair rolling. Again, there was a lag in between songs and I pumped up the volume.

I listened for the sounds on Losing Eyeballs, too.  Interesting!

So it occured to me why I missed the posts.  It was when I went on a cruise and was without internet.  From now on I'm only taking vacations where I have complete access to a computer.  Seriously.

• ChristelAdina said:

When I heard of the frogs, I was like :

"Wait…I always heard birds in the beginning of Last Leaf!!..so where are the frogs??"

Well, now I realize that these "birds" are frogs !! Jesus…how can I confuse frogs with birds!!

That's simply embarrassing Embarassed :)

Not embarrassing at all. Sometimes frogs sound like birds. I kind of assumed birds at first too. In various places where I grew up, frogs were everywhere and what you heard in the morning was almost always a frog and not a bird. I called it dawn's "frogsong."

Edited to add: I was always slightly disappointed that frogsong sounded nothing like "The Rainbow Connection." ;) Guess I didn't get up early enough for that part.

Well, obviously you're right with the "frog-bird" thing. I'm used to wake up with birds' twittering in the morning,

so when I listened to Last Leaf the first time I immediately thought of Damian playing the guitar in his backyard (sitting next to a cup of coffee) with birds twittering in the background during the sun rise in the morning.

I didn't take notice that the album was recorded in "the middle of nowhere"...

so actually it was recorded in a forest not in Damian's backyard!!  Wink

• Mirror Maze! http://www.mirrormazes.com/index.html   The setting is already visually entertaining and it would be funny to see the boys get through it. 

• Sunnyside said:

Mirror Maze! http://www.mirrormazes.com/index.html   The setting is already visually entertaining and it would be funny to see the boys get through it. 

Oh that WOULD be a cool idea.

• Have a set made completely out of  paper. Cardboard box structures, paper mache animals, crepe flowers and trees. They could dance with life-size origami people and at the end it could all be disolved with water. It would be beautiful.
  • LOL Aspiring Music Video Director here!

Uhh, One of the really good ideas that I have is something to do with animation.

Tim would walk in live action style. There would be a white backround and he would be dressed in white clothes (Similar to the white knuckles outfits) He would then walk to the end of the set and take a paintbrush out of his pocket. He'd then begin to paint the band members one by one, with just a simple side to side brushstroke. He'd them paint himself and then the live action would turn to animation. The drumbeat at the start of White Knuckles would start and the other band members would start to kind of... wake up.

The rest of it would just be kind of like, Tim is trying to get rid of what he has created by trying to paint props to get rid of the paint, as the paint has altered the member's personalities to make them sort of think that it's a last man standing fight. Tim then tries to get rid of them with things like he paints a garden hose and tries to spray Dan and Andy, who are sort of batalling in the backround with baloon swords. He tries to push the button to let out the water but none comes out. He looks worried. Then the camera pans to Damian who has tied a knot in the hose and holds it with one hand, with a proud smirk on his face. It then pans back to Tim who throws it down in anger.

You know, like the rest of the music video kind of goes on with this less violent 1930's Disney style cartoons gags. 

(Without the whole black and white thing, just that sort of style.)

The video kind of ends with Tim looking up to the celing to notice the sprinklers and gets the brilliant idea to start a fire. a few attempts here, and he had created the fire. He then draws an umbrella (Like the one in the WTF? Video) and all the paint washes away. Leaving the members standing like their original poses in live action. Tim then lifts the umbrella off of him (Which has turned to live action too) and the paint washes off of him too.

I know, TL;DR. Whatever. XD Just an idea. I might try to experiment with flash. But that's about it. I like your ideas a LOT. They're really good.

• ^^ That's a really cool music video idea. What a great imagination you have!
  • XD Thanks!
  • I've never came up with a genuinely good idea for an OK Go video because my head is too commercial – I've grown up, first, liking videos from directors which kinda of only focus on making the artists look pretty and wear haute couture or something, which does look pretty sometimes, but most of the times it's just plain dull. 

Jonas Akerlund (I like the angles he uses) and Floria Sigismondi (genious woman) are still some of my personal favourites. But I could never come up with something like that, my mind is TOO emotional, I'm always thinking about little stories for a video and I don't really think that matches OK Go.

don't get me wrong, I've always loved OK Go's videos and Damian's ideas for videos, etc. but I wish, I JUST WISH that someday they would work on something with, perhaps, either Floria or my personal favourite,  Michel Gondry. he is my favourite director of all time. he is just pure magical and genious, you just can't believe some of the stuff he makes up ( if you are curious to see, if you dont already know which videos he did click here, here and here for examples).

I do think a collab with them would turn out in awesome, not that I think OK Go needs it because, unlike most artists, they sure can come up with creative awesome stuff on their own. Smile

• Christel, I can totally see that. It would be a really good video!

I always had the idea in my head that the guys would do a video with a bunch of segways. I don't know which song, though. In the Glass? Nah.

• Man, I feel like In The Glass is kinda untouchable as far as videos.. like it's too intense for anything to fit.  Of course now that I've said that they'll find a way to do it and totally blow me away, cuz that's what they do, but whatever.  xD

• daisychains said:

Christel, I can totally see that. It would be a really good video!

I always had the idea in my head that the guys would do a video with a bunch of segways. I don't know which song, though. In the Glass? Nah.

HAHAHAHAHA segways, that would be totally awesome, though don't think any of the remaining not singles from this record would go with that really :/

• laeticia said:
    daisychains said:

HAHAHAHAHA segways, that would be totally awesome, though don't think any of the remaining not singles from this record would go with that really :/

Yeah. Would it go with a song from Oh No?

• laeticia said:
    daisychains said:

• daisychains said:
    laeticia said:
    daisychains said:

Yeah, from Oh No, yes. 

Maybe Television, Television?

while they burst into a tv studio and ruin everything

HAHAHAHA

(see there's my commercial side, nevermind me)

• laeticia said:
    daisychains said:
    laeticia said:
    daisychains said:

Yeah, from Oh No, yes. 

Maybe Television, Television?

while they burst into a tv studio and ruin everything

HAHAHAHA

(see there's my commercial side, nevermind me)

Isn't there already a video for Television, Television? It's like the wall paper one... actually, it inspired the wall paper video for Do What You Want...

• daisychains said:

Isn't there already a video for Television, Television? It's like the wall paper one... actually, it inspired the wall paper video for Do What You Want...

Hm, isn't that just a video used for the tour? to be like, screened in the back during live concerts? 

anyways, it still be cool xD

• That's true, they did screen it when I was at a concert. It would be, though. Segways fit Television, Television.
  • I have no idea how it would be possible, but what about using soda and Mentos to create a synchronized fountain show similar to what's in front of the Bellagio in Vegas.  It'd be one heck of a mess but awesome nonetheless. (I can rhyme!Smile)
  • I always thought of Television Television kind of like the Get Over It video. Like how they zoom in on parts of the lyrics.

"Look at the hottie in the tight jeans..."

Would flash to a visual of it. With really good lighting and photography. Meh. Maybe in the summer I'll try to do something like that. I could probably scout Toronto one day and take pictures of homeless people. LOL! ANYWHO, rambling aside, In The Glass is a really powerful song. It's kind of a hard one to imagine. But then again, Damian DID say that he was going to make a video for each song. He should keep his promise!

(Television Television video is on youtube, it's just and extra that one of the people that made the video did. It's kind of repetitive...)