In this Discussion

Happy List

Comments

• I took Latin in High School, it was one of my favorite subjects.  I started taking it just because it was expected of me, as one of the smarter kids in the class, to take it.  The teacher ended up being my favorite high school teacher and my fondest high school memories are in his class.  He and his wife were guests at my wedding.  Best Teacher Ever. 

I wish I'd retained more Hebrew.  I can still read it, and understand it better than most people, but speaking it is entirely beyond me.

• Ok, so how many boardies have taken Latin at some point in their schooling?

I would have thought I was the only one! Two years in HS. Sorta sucked at it, but had a very cool teacher.

Here's one, though - a few years ago I took a trimester of Koine (Biblical) Greek at a tiny Bible college for fun. I used the Symbol font and touch typed my homework. Did okay at it, but I just didn't have the money for another trimester, when I was just taking it for a lark.

BTW - I'm happy I have cool friends who know me. I was going to type up some recent examples, but, you know what? I'm just happy.

• My happy for the day can be summed up in five letters:

B

E

C

K

Y

Thank you so much, Becky, for the wonderful happy! (See, in the South when you give someone a little gift to make their day you call it giving them a "happy.") You made my day and month. What can I give you in return?

• Tempe, Becky is pretty spectacular, isn't she?  I got a card from her yesterday filled with confetti and wonderful wishes. 
  • Oh my gosh Christel! My friend Emma took InfoHell in its very last term ever at UO! She's even got a pin that says I survived InfoHell. I'm taking Gateway next year (wish I could take it this year, but it's not gonna work out sadly), which is the sequence of classes they've replaced InfoHell with. (You might know this already, but I figured I'd explain in case you didn't.) Emma says she's gonna look down on me since it's not as difficult, but really only in a joking way. Although I think secretly she'll feel superior for real, haha. Let's see, why am I taking Latin…I can't really say. My friend and I wanted to take our language together so we'd always have someone we knew to study with. She'd already taken too much Spanish to start at the beginning with me, and I'd taken too much Italian. The only other language that sounded interesting was Latin. We figured we could handle it even though we knew it'd be really tough. Which it is. Totally worth it though.

It's crazy how many of us have taken Latin! We must be a pretty awesome bunch. Cool

So, happiness! Each year on Christmas Eve, my mom gives my brother and I each a special gift, the only one we get to open before Christmas. It's always something special that we didn't ask for. This year, she made us each one of these books filled with pictures of us growing up. And the biggest pic of me on the last page is me wearing my OK Go jacket! ^_^

• I just received the Spring Tour USB drive and I am one happy individual right now. I love to hear acoustic versions of the songs, and up till now had only found them in various video clips. So it's a pleasure to have a whole acoustic set, and the set from Ex'pression College is a great one. If if hadn't been for the "OK Go quotes" thread, I wouldn't have known about the "Ex'pression Sessions" video, and I would not have known to find the audio on the Spring Tour USB. So thank you Boardies for laying out those breadcrumbs!

For me, the Ex'pression accoustic set alone made it worth getting the USB. But the Spring Tour USB also has a live electric set, as well as videos and photos and the original 13 songs of OBSCOTS. So, yeah, a LOT of music. I already had the ENE of OTBCOTS, and am happy to have both, because the extras on the ENE are some of my favorite parts of the album. In short, if there's anyone reading this who doesn't already have the Spring Tour USB, I highly recommend it.

At the same time, I now also have some great material from the gmail account (monday was my day). So basically, wallowing in OK Goodness over here. Thanks to Becky for setting up that account and problem-solving along the way, thanks to Rachel for uploading longer versions of songs I really wanted to hear, and thanks to everyone else who contributed songs to that list. So many rarities still to explore... for about a day it was "crimson and clover, over and over" and over and over.

Anyway, it's a happy New Year's Eve for me thanks to the Boardies and to OK Go.

I wish you all a very Happy New Year!

• Oh yeah and 2 years of HS Latin here. Totally worth it for the help with English vocabulary and etymology alone, and a big benefit when I studied French later on. Also great to have if for any reason you find yourself in Romania.
  • One of my very favorite groups finally got a fan forum! They've needed one for a while, and I'm so excited about it!

Also, all my roommates are back in town, so our house is complete again!

(Wow, look at me go with the exclamation points.)

• I wish I was a bit less pain so I could really really enjoy this: I was assigned Doctor Who A Christmas Carol!!!

SurprisedSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

It took some work... but it will be worth it (expecially because I wouldn't be able to justify buying it).

Now, can someone please come over and massage the two tonnes of tension out of my upper back, so I can sit up without pain? 

(I went to buy coffee, and somehow the store's new grinder injured me...don't ask, I honestly don't know... so that was apparently my activity for the day. Yell I can't wait for this episode of pain to be over, I'd like to have my life back.)

• Wee, I'm going back to AZ a week from today!! I've been griping to some of you guys on fb how much I miss AZ. I finally found an affordable flight. Weird how after the holidays all the prices on flights have gone down nicely. Hmm, who knew? My internet access will be sketchy at times since my old house in AZ currently has no connection. But there are plenty of easy places to get free wifi in AZ. Weeeee! 
  • I am now too old for American Idol.  This is on my happy list because that is an easier answer to the "Why don't you go on American Idol" question than the truth. :-D
  • "Italian Kiss" Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato by Villa Dolce.

(and imagining Matt Smith's Doctor as a member of the Monkees, thanks to that green wool hat photo and Amber's Tumblr. At the moment, in my head, he's altering lyrics to "What am I doing hangin' 'round?" to fit himself. Laugh You know, "What am I doing hangin' 'round? /I should be in the TARDIS gone / I should be on another planet long ago / What am I doing hangin' 'round?")

I daresay these two happy things are related. Gelato may be lower in calories, but it's still got sugar in. Wink

• I've got two rambling happy list items.

1. The mother of my grandson finally called to say hi. I keep in contact with all my friends through facebook, but I'm still very traditional and like to hear a voice every now and then. She put my grandson on the phone. He's now 4 yrs old. The last time I saw him, he was 2 and could barely talk. He actually said, "Hello, Grandma Rose" (because his mom told him to). Um so now that he can talk I might have to stop having him call me "grandma." She also put my new grandaughter on the phone. She a year and a half old. All she can say is "hi" but that's more advanced than my grandson was at that age.

2. It rained a lot last night and the mountain tops in the desert became snow capped. The last time that happened was a week after I saw my first Ok Go show. I think that's fitting seeing as this week is the anniversary of that first show. I drove around the desert, listening to the 1st album, sort of recreating things. I also went to a pretend ghostown to take pictures right near the snowy mountains. They had some fun gunfights that were put on. It felt very Dr. Quinn. One of the Bordello girls told me she liked my hat, so I felt special.
  • I  finally figured out how my boss can function on so few brain cells. She is demon-possessed! This was alarming at first, as you can imagine. After I reminded myself that she hasn't hurt anybody and doesn't seem to be gathering minions I calmed down. She's extremely annoying but harmless. I guess there's nothing to be done about it. Still, it's good to know what I'm up against. It explains SO much!Wink
  • So, I was feeling really, really sad about a half an hour ago because I missed the livestream of the boys playing the Earth Fest show in Boston.

And then PemiBlue had the guts, nay, courage to hand her phone to aross while she got her CD signed. On the other end of the phone was yours truly. The conversation went like this:

"Hello?"

"I hate you."

"Oh, I know who this is. Did you watch the game last night?"

"Yes I did and that’s why I hate you."

"I just pulled up the score. You better get used to this." Garble garble, bad phone reception, something else about the Red Sox.

"Well, it was nice talking with you, Becky. We’ll be seeing you soon?"

"In July maybe. Maybe."

"Good, good. Go Sox."

"Go Cubs. Go Cubs!"

"Gotta go. Bye."

"Bye."

Short and sweet. And full of happy.

Thank you, Heather! You rock!!
  • I can't top Becky's last entry, but my Happy List item of the day is so Happy I almost gave it its own thread, which I would have titled THE GREATEST FRIENDS I EVER HAD!

Many of you know that I've been trying to raise funds and find a way to see three shows for my BIG BIRTHDAY. Two Okkervil River shows (Portland and Seattle), because, among other things, it's one of my favorite bands, they're friends of mine, I haven't seen them for three years, and I wanted to at least one more time. Also, my friend Victoria lives in Seattle and we've been trying to get together for the same three years, so when Will suggested Seattle might be a better setting to actually have a chance to say Hi to the band, I was sold on seeing the show in Seattle (and if I was going all the way up there, it's actually easier to see the Portland show on the way home than to skip it).

Then Becky found the OK Go Corvallis show and I added it to my plan. Then Rachel donated to my cause before I even had the finished funding page posted! See what I mean?  Some of you contributed (Thank YOU!), but it was very slow-going. I think people don't understand the whole wheelchair/physical disability/inability to drive thing. But I was making progress. Then my power chair blew up. With me in it. 

So I had to cancel the Okkervil River portions of the plan. This was sadder than you know, not least because Victoria had apparently planned a big, early-birthday bash--she's famous, I guess, for her theme parties--complete with karaoke, several live musicians and recording equipment (So we could record a song for everyone who helped me raise the money). Plus, she's got tonnes of film equipment, so there would have been embarrassing video footage, perhaps of 8in8 covers, and it was going to be a Double Rainbow Party All the Way (she's been wanting to have a reason to do something DRATW, and she says I'm the most Double Rainbow thing she knows!).

But yeah. Blown motors (again). So I cancelled that part Cry. And the entire fund. And then Amber donated anyway. My manual chair also broke down--I can't push it anymore, but I can sit in it, say at an OK Go concert--but repairs were beyond my budget. So I had to cancel the OK Go portion too. Yell But unbeknownst to me, Rachel had already told Team Paracadute about me, and they tweeted. Embarassed Raina donated. Smile My friend Maria (who you guys may know of through AFP and Neil) privately paid for the repairs on my manual chair. Shhhh! Cool All of them, Becky, Amber, Rachel, Raina, Maria...THE GREATEST FRIENDS I EVER HAD!

I've been dreaming of OK Go a lot lately (not just the thing on Amber's Tumblr!).  Last night, I dreamt that I was hearing a song off of Okkervil River's new album, over and over. When I found the source, it was Tim. He looked up and said, "I can't get enough of this one. I really like it." And then he offered me a drink and asked, "Is this one about anyone you know?" and he kind of smirked. Then he kept coming up with things to give me. Like magically pulling things out of his pockets to make me smile. When I woke up, I couldn't stop thinking about it, but I had a really crushing interaction with my paternal aunt about the gall of me asking my grandparents for help financing repairs (these are the same people who "forgot" to tell me my daddy had died). You can't choose your family. But you can make a family from your friends.Kiss (Especially if they are THE GREATEST FRIENDS I EVER HAD!)

Anyway, crushed. But still stuck on the dream. Then I got the call my manual chair is finished (I get that chair back Wednesday or whenever someone can go pick up the tires for me), so OK Go is back on! Laugh Provided I find a way to get there safely and without having to be outdoors for over 24 hours waiting for the next Greyhound bus back home.  But technically, I still don't have all that is needed. Or, I should say, I didn't. Because today, my dearsest darling Debs returned from Europe and is trying to help me with the climate/illness issues I'm having, which would have otherwise prevented me from going. THEN, practically at the same time as she's telling me European Rock and Roll Adventure stories, my other Debs (who has another friend, "Christelle", it's weird), donates $200 to my Birthday!!! Surprised See? THE GREATEST FRIENDS I EVER HAD!

So now, I only have to come up with $175 more and the Whole Shebang (know that song? I'm in that song!) could be back on! Well, not the DRATW party. That ship, and most of its crew and all the deposits, has sailed. BUT I COULD STILL HAVE OK Go AND Okkervil River, see Victoria and Maria AND Celebrate My BIRTHDAY! And do you know why?

THE GREATEST FRIENDS I EVER HAD!

• ^^^ this could potentially be the best happy list posting ever posted.  Was the math 23?
  • Oh, my gosh, Christel! I'm so happy for you!

I wish I had $175 lying around, I'd totally donate it!
  • I don't think Math was 23, but then my math is a bit suspect... For instance, my fund says I still need $240, and after I subtract the GFM fees and Paypal fees (some donations have extra fees regardless of whether the giver is "verified" or how they pay...not sure why), it's more than $175. Last night's excited calculations came up with $175 if I buy no merch, no food, no anything besides transportation and tickets.

But I forgot to factor in local transport (taxis or buses or whatever), and as excited as I am, I don't think going without food and water is a good idea. Plus, all the chair, other chair, and air repair (HA!), sort of threw me--because I had to use a little of what was already given toward the manual chair stuff.

Basically, I need an additional $200 fee-free in order to do this at this point. But that's still a HAPPY thing, because yesterday I still needed more than $400 and this wasn't even happening. If I get out of the repair shop today, I'm going to try and sell some Blu-ray DVDs that publicists mistakenly sent me (I don't have a blu-ray player and sometimes PR people try to slip things in that weren't assigned, in hopes of bribing a better review. It doesn't work, but by all means, publicists, keep sending me stuff! Kiss). The shop usually only does trade for credit, but I'm hoping to sweet talk them into a little cash... 
  • ChristelAdina said:
     My comments in purple (shocking, I know!)

And then Amber donated anyway.

(I'm difficult like that.)

I've been dreaming of OK Go a lot lately (not just the thing on Amber's Tumblr!). 

(I cross posted on the Dreams thread, no worries boardies!)

Last night, I dreamt that…. Then he kept coming up with things to give me. Like magically pulling things out of his pockets to make me smile.

(Like "Shake Shake Heartbreak! And NOT the dream I imagined for you… heehee (that's NOT on the dreams thread)

When I woke up, I couldn't stop thinking about it, but I had a really crushing interaction with my paternal aunt about the gall of me asking my grandparents for help financing repairs (these are the same people who "forgot" to tell me my daddy had died). You can't choose your family. But you can make a family from your friends.Kiss (Especially if they are THE GREATEST FRIENDS I EVER HAD!)

(Different situations, but totally relate to above)

So now, I only have to come up with $175 more and the Whole Shebang (know that song? I'm in that song!) could be back on! Well, not the DRATW party. That ship, and most of its crew and all the deposits, has sailed. BUT I COULD STILL HAVE OK Go AND Okkervil River, see Victoria and Maria AND Celebrate My BIRTHDAY! And do you know why?

THE GREATEST FRIENDS I EVER HAD!

(F— YEAH!!!)