In this Discussion

Rethink Music

edited November -1 in OK Go
Damian's speaking at the Rethink Music Conference next month in Boston.  Team Paracadute tweeted about it 2 weeks ago.  He's going to be doing an "artists presentation" with Ben Folds, Neil Gaiman, & Amanda Palmer.  This alone is bad-ass, yet I didn't know *what* they were going to do until I checked the Rethink blog today:

http://rethink-music.tumblr.com/

Comments

• "At Rethink Music, Amanda Palmer, Ben Folds, Damian Kulash, and Neil Gaiman will head into the studio for a collaboration, which will be released the next day."

^^THIS

So much new music love! Can't believe no one's noticed this yet :D 
  • 8DDDDDDDD

So excited! Promise you'll get pictures Rachel? This is so amazing!
  • :-)

Yes, I promise to get photos for you.
  • Woo hoo! :3
  • Ben Folds just tweeted/posted about the Rethink conference.  Apparently he, Damian, Amanda, and Neil are going to write and record 8 songs in 8 hours.  The link he posted to the article isn't working (probably because the excitement boned the server), but Holy Shit My Brain Is Exploding.

EDIT: OK, we have an article! And my brain is still exploding.  In fact, the explosions are Way. Worse. Now.  http://www.berklee.edu/news/3311/rethink-music-ben-folds-damian-kulash-amanda-pal

"Can the album cycle actually be reduced to a single day?" asks Kulash. "If the recording industry is supposed to be a means of connecting musicians to music listeners, well, then, here it is—spontaneous and circular. They send us ideas and a day later we have an album, a show, and some semblance of a documentary. And then the next day (we hope), a big public flameout and a battle over rights and the release of competing slanderous autobiographies."

Yeah.  I cannot believe I'm going to be there.
  • DJRose said:

Yeah.  I cannot believe I'm going to be there.

I'm jealous. I can't wait to read your write-up!!!
  • from amanda palmers newsletter:

first up, i'm:

MAKING A RECORD IN EIGHT HOURS
    with BEN FOLDS, NEIL GAIMAN, and DAMIAN KULASH (of OK GO)
    at

yes, you heard correctly.
    me, my moxy, the genius that is ben, and dreamboat-youtube-king damian kulash (of ok go) will be descending upon berklee's ReThink music conference on april 25th and 26th and fucking shit up.

the amazing people of ReThink, a new industry-type music conference put on by Berklee, MIDEM, and the Berkman Center at Harvard, asked us what we wanted to do...and we decided to go for the gold. the idea of doing some sort of four-way collaboration was my idea, and the idea of recording EIGHT SONGS IN EIGHT HOURS was ben's.
    it's the world's FIRST NINJA RECORD.

so, in addition to a panel discussion on the internet and the-future-of-label-free-artistry (on the 26th 10:40AM, which will also be webcast), we are going to a form an 8-hour-supergroup: holing up in a studio from 4pm-midnight on april 25th in a little studio in boston. EVERYBODY (yes, neil included: we've peer pressured him to break out his tambourine skills) will be sharing songwriting, singing, and instrument duties (between the four of us, we have multiple pianists, guitarists, drummers, bassists, ukulele'ists, and, yes, tambourinists).

we will be putting the creative process in YOUR HANDS and taking SONG TITLE and BAND NAME suggestions directly from twitter with a special hashtag, so make sure you're following the feed.
    if you haven't gotten on twitter yet...this is your final warning.
    and MICHAEL POPE will be FILMING/WEBCASTING THE ENTIRE PROCESS!!! you can watch the whole drama unfold LIVE.

pay close attention to the blog and the twitter feed for more info, and SAVE THE DATE! april 25, from 4PM-midnight east coast time (find out when that is for you, HERE).

then, the next night (the evening of the 26th), ALL FOUR OF US will share the stage for a show at berklee performance center (wherein we might play our new songs, maybe for the only time, ever).

sadly, ONLY attendees of the conference can attend the show, and the tickets are STEEP ($800) but if you do want to attend you can get a discount on conference tickets HERE: save $200 by using the promo code "AMANDA". the conference will also feature incredible minds from the music & internet business, including mike mills from R.E.M, the awesome band metric, and more. the full conference schedule is HERE.

also, a little tip: if you plan on joining us from home for the webcast, get yourself a profile at getglue.com asap. we're going to be doing some fun stuff with them, so consider this a heads up.
  • This is pretty exciting! Laugh I bet it'd be so much fun to do this.

I hope you have fun, Rachel!

I have to check a calendar and cross my fingers that I don't have school that day!

• You Don't Know Me (WKAP mix) by fongolia

Found a lil teaser song for the event! :] Largely talks abt Amanda Palmer's "death" lol x
  • This just keeps getting better and better! More details are up at Amanda Palmer's blog, including where to find the live web stream of the collaboration. Here are some excerpts:

"we’ve enlisted the producer-help of sean slade, who helmed the dresden dolls second album “yes, virginia” (and has worked with a laundry list of legendary bands like the pixies, radiohead, etc etc)….

"to record the historicness of this process, we’ve also grabbed hold of michael pope, legendary AFP/dolls go-to filmmaker, and he’s bringin’ a camera.  we’re going to use a recording studio right here in boston, and from 4 PM TIL MIDNIGHT on MONDAY. APRIL 25th, we are going to WEBCAST this entire shitshow.

"live. all of us. on camera. for 8 hours. youtube’s providing us with the tools to do it (like the duran duran/david lynch webcast a few weeks back, and coachella last night) and per usual you’ll find the stream (and more) at partyontheinternet.com we’ll have a team onboard to field the chatroom and the twitter feed. we’re going to come up with shit we haven’t come up with yet, no doubt.

"also, i’ve asked my friend (and housemate) painter cassandra long to create some album/project artwork while we record…hopefully with an easel set up somewhere nearby…

"this project DOESN’T HAVE A NAME, since we’re planning on NAMING THE BAND when we kick off the recording session, and we’re going to be taking submissions for band names, AND song titles, strictly over twitter. many have pointed out that our names for the unfortunate acronym B.A.N.D. (ben, amanda, neil, damian)…

"regarding the ACTUAL release of the FINISHED PRODUCT, expect it to be released on BANDCAMP sometime the next day, the day after at the screaming latest. i’ll blog and tweet the minute it’s up.

"the first few weeks of PROFITS from the recording will go to Berklee City Music Boston. they’re one of a few like-minded music programs in cities all over the country (DC, LA, New Orleans, and Seattle), providing kids with every opportunity to see their musical potential. this includes teaching and mentoring by Berklee graduates who live in their city, and access to PULSE. awesome."

Also, an article in the Boston Phoenix.
  • Bumping this up to remind everyone to tune in tonight.

And a tweet from team Paracadute: Today's the day. Damian, @, @, @, 8 songs, 8 hours, 4pm ET. So. Much. Stuff. Happening. More soon.
  • Watching it! In case anyone needs the link it's right here.

http://partyontheinternet.com/
    I'm probably going to have to pay $80 because I'm WAAAAY over my internet usage right now. But it's totally worth it X3
  • oh em gee i just heard damian blow his nose off camera.... hehehehehheheh

neil gaiman is sooo cool

also i earned a damian sticker from random social marketing site get glue <3
  • agentnumone said:

oh em gee i just heard damian blow his nose off camera.... hehehehehheheh

the stream started buffering for me right after he did that, i like to pretend his nose blowing had something to do with it...
  • yeah its been lagging ever since... ijust went back and I really wished damian got the squirrel song! i litterally started giggling when Neil Gaiman said it....hes so creepy and rad... and looks scarily like the sandman in his comic....
  • Twitter Hashtag for the conference is #rethinkmusic.  I'm @RachelSchain if you don't know.  Feel free to follow one or both, I'll be liveblogging for you guys.
  • Amanda posted the songs on her website:

http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/nighty-night

Which one is your favorite? I, personally, so far like One Tiny Thing. Of course.

( Sorry if this is already on here. )
  • Because the Origami is my favorite.
  • I like The Problem With Saints the best, at the moment.
  • I haven't been living with the songs quite as long as the rest of you (you know, conference attending and all that), but I agree with Hannah; Because the Origami is my favorite thus far.  I want to cry when I hear it.

The conference has been really fun thus far.  I didn't get to chat with the #WildDamian (btw, I'm so amused by that, well done guys), and I doubt he's attending today, but I did get to say a quick hi to Mike Rosenthal. In all honesty, if I weren't a musician, there isn't much more that I'd be getting out of this than you guys got.  Everything's been streamed online so you've seen everything that I saw; and for that matter you saw more of the #8in8 project than I because, again, attending the conference meant not sitting in front of the computer.  And according to the tumblr feed this morning, apparently Neil Gaiman said that Fezzes were cool to Ben Folds last night and I MISSED IT WHILST SITTING IN THE DAMN SECOND ROW.   But I got some lovely photos of the concert firsthand, and got to chat with Jim Eno, the drummer of Spoon, and Zack, the guitarist of The Honeybears, for a minute last night, and again, attending the conference, so getting a lot of interesting and encouraging information.  And I met a lovely girl who bought my CD.  So, to quote some band we love, "All Is Not Lost."

But...Is it June yet?