In this Discussion

Dr Who - photos, news, videos...

Comments

• Bumpity bump.

I wonder what would happen if I just cut and pasted?

Amber Nelson via Doctor Who and the Tardis by Craig Hurle: WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN! And that was just last nights ep! Tonight – the (current) DOCTOR!!

Since I posted the above on Facebook, a whole lot of OK Go/Doctor Who fans came up to celebrate Who-ness!

So I figured this thread needed a BUMP! (But, not like a Dalek bump)

Er. I have no actual content for this post, however. Well, the link to Craig's previous night's intro.

• violetchaos364 said:

Bumpity bump.

I wonder what would happen if I just cut and pasted?

Amber Nelson via Doctor Who and the Tardis by Craig Hurle: WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN! And that was just last nights ep! Tonight – the (current) DOCTOR!!

Since I posted the above on Facebook, a whole lot of OK Go/Doctor Who fans came up to celebrate Who-ness!

So I figured this thread needed a BUMP! (But, not like a Dalek bump)

Er. I have no actual content for this post, however. Well, the link to Craig's previous night's intro.

Youtube is blocked where I'm currently sitting. Is that the opening that Craig hoped would "leak out onto the interent" or is that the actual opening where poor Craig gets frustrated that they couldn't get the rights to the theme song?

• You've probably looked at it already, since I was off the boards for a day (holy crap! miss a day...)

But it was from the previous night when Craig showed off the Dalek that was already in the studio.

• We have finished watching our DVDs of Series 5. I made the mistake of watching The End of Time again first so began heartbroken. The Eleventh Hour had some funny bits. I couldn't help but laugh about the apples. That helped me to not dislike the new Doctor. My thoughts?  I LOVE Amy! I like Rory. The TARDIS is beautiful. I hate the new sonic screwdriver. The new Daleks are too goofy looking to be scary (think Mighty Morphin' Power Daleks). I like that they showed the images of his previous incarnations. I cried like a baby through Vincent and the Doctor. The end of  The Big Bang was exciting when Amy was figuring everything out. Yes, I liked the end very much. But, as for the Doctor. I loved Christopher Eccleston's Doctor from the word "run". (he will always be my favorite)  I loved David Tennant's Doctor by the end of his first episode. The writers made him easy to love, though. Being healed by tea, referencing The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and losing an arm! Matt Smith's Doctor,  I do not find him to be expressive enough. I know a lot of you will disagree with me on that. To me he seems restrained in his happiness and sadness. My husband describes him as acting like an old man. I see it. His personality does seem older than any of the others I've seen so far. Yet, at the same time, he seems to be far more manic than any of the others. I do not like how he yells at people to be quite while he is trying to think. It's just rude! His mind obviously races.  That was probably true for previous incarnations as well but it wasn't so evident in their personalities. At the beginning of the series it seemed like Amy was the one always saving the day, not the Doctor. So, after watching this whole season I still do not love Matt Smith's Doctor. That kind of worries me but I don't dislike him. He is cute about his bow-ties. "Bow-ties are cool", he says. : )  My girls, by the way, LOVE him. He's their favorite now!
  • I can't recall where Amber and I had the majority of our discussion about Matt's Doctor and his "old age" and things; here, there and Facebook, one presumes. I'm actually watching it again now (finally received my, very late, like 14 years late, review copy yesterday), and I don't have too much to add to your comments right now. Deadlines, you understand.

However, I love Matt. I get this Doctor. He's my second favorite Doctor (after Tom Baker, of course) as the Doctor. He's pitch perfect from the moment he peaks at Amelia from the crashed TARDIS. His personality as it becomes its own (losing a lot of 10's hallmarks by the end of the first and most by the third episode) is spot on for the character and what he has most recently been through. He's just the right mix of the contradictions for Amy too. That makes sense, because this is one of the first times that the companions are truly the center of the show. Your note that Amy is solving most of the issues is right, you know... It's only to be expected given the season's arc (but I won't talk about that in case others are not caught up..."Spoilers!" Wink). Beyond all that, though, I just adore Eleven. But then, I too, have/had imaginary friends!

I also get the new Daleks...I personally don't like them for the simple reason that they are not as scary as I think a Dalek should be. I do see where they come from though (the movies) and I can understand Moffat's desire to redesign them.

Now I have to go watch the Who Confidentials. And try to stop extrapolating River Song theories while I review these episodes. Those are thoughts for next Series (More Spoilers!)! Laugh

• So glad you are caught up, Sunnyside!! I'll respond with more later!

(Holy crap - '12 Subscribed'? Did I miss a day or two on the boards or WHAT?)

• Did any of you see this TARDIS cake? Led lights, two convex mirrors (for an impressive bigger-on-the-inside effect), gum paste, actual cakeage. Un-freakin-believable. That is some dedication right there. Or rather here.

• *sigh*  I read this thread, looked up Doctor Who, and next thing I know I'm finished watching season 5 and saying things to my brother when he is deciding whether to wear a tie or not such as, "You should wear a bowtie. Bowties are cool."

I never should have poked my nose in here...

Awesome things are contagious.Surprised

• Hmmm, yesterday I sent Amber a ValiumTimes…excuse me Valentine's…Day card from the Doctor Who site. I realize that I sent it in the aftenoon, so it would be a late greeting, but I had hoped she would get it before the effects of the Valium wore off…I mean before the end of the day.

Mostly because I wanted her to have it, but also because I thought that she could pass on the humourous wishes to, and we could both then share the various Whovian greetings with our collective group of fellow fans on FB, Tumblr, Twitter and this board. I was obviously not timely enough.Frown Perhaps next year. Also, I realized too late (after midnight) that I haven't been getting Flair

on FB for weeks, and that Amber had sent DW VD flair my way (BTW, several things were hidden unbeknownst to me, so if you've been thinking I'm ignoring stuff, I'm not. I just wasn't getting it. It's annoying because Christine sends really good OK Go stuff!)

Anyway, my favourite DW Valentine was the one I sent to Amber, but I like this too.

ecard-05
  • The Doctor and Amy Pond in Alberta ...in LEGO!

[Minifig 16/365] The Doctor And Amy Pond In Canmore, Alberta

...fandoms colliding once again.
    Laugh

From Nur Hussein's Flickr photostream
  • AW crap! Didn't get it! I'll look again. Did you send it on FB or email?

Huh. Well, first unexpected upgraded board glitch. I was unsubscribed to this thread. (fixing...)

Side note - I occasionally have to email London for insurance whatnot at work. One of the dudes is a Doctor Who fan. He made a reference in the last email I exchanged with him. WIN!

Side, side note - I spoke to another of the dudes a couple of weeks ago - and that was just "OH! English accent!"
  • It was to your email Amber, from my krazymoon17 email.

It was the Dalek candy heart. It said  "X-Ter-Min-8"

Smile

WOW! Math is 11+11 and, according to my computer clock, it is 11:11. Sweet! Cool
  • Hi everyone :) imma need your help on a lil sth, u see i've never watched a single epi of Dr Who in my life (i know, shameful stuff, right?) but i kindasortareally wanna watch 2 epis which purportedly have Andrew Garfield in them ♥ :]

These 2 epis are apparently titled "Daleks in Manhattan" and "Evolution of Daleks"(?)  and were aired during the 4th season methinks (around epi 3 or so?).

Sooo. my question is, do I need to do a bit more homework (read: watch more) before I jump into those two epis, or will I understand whaz going on without watching previous epis?

Thanks! :D x
  • Lmao, here's my own issue with that:

those two episodes aren't very good.

I mean.. I dunno, I guess you -could- watch them and understand.. most stuff, but they're just.. well, not that good.  Your first Doctor Who experience shouldn't be a bad one.  xP

(Lmao, felt the need to point out that I got 1+1)
  • laydeejol said:

Hi everyone :) imma need your help on a lil sth, u see i've never watched a single epi of Dr Who in my life (i know, shameful stuff, right?) but i kindasortareally wanna watch 2 epis which purportedly have Andrew Garfield in them ♥ :]

These 2 epis are apparently titled "Daleks in Manhattan" and "Evolution of Daleks"(?)  and were aired during the 4th season methinks (around epi 3 or so?).

Sooo. my question is, do I need to do a bit more homework (read: watch more) before I jump into those two epis, or will I understand whaz going on without watching previous epis?

Thanks! :D x

You CAN watch them without homework, they (together) can stand alone. However, you might want to start with Episode One of that Series (3, not 4, actually) so that you understand the relationship between Martha and the Doctor.
  • Totalgeek42 said:

Lmao, here's my own issue with that:

those two episodes aren't very good.

I mean.. I dunno, I guess you -could- watch them and understand.. most stuff, but they're just.. well, not that good.  Your first Doctor Who experience shouldn't be a bad one.  xP

(Lmao, felt the need to point out that I got 1+1)

ChristelAdina said:

You CAN watch them without homework, they (together) can stand alone. However, you might want to start with Episode One of that Series (3, not 4, actually) so that you understand the relationship between Martha and the Doctor.

Thx for the input guys! (: iunno. ive never been much of a sci-fi fan myself, but seeing how u guys all wax lyrical abt it, i might juz hafta give it a try (;

Maybe i'll let yallz know what i thought afterwards...

But now, for some Bambi time...  ♥ x

• Fandoms… colliding…

Fezzes are cool. Neil Gaiman, on stage with Damian Kulash, quoting

Doctor Who regarding the hat that Ben Folds is wearing, plus bonus

Amanda Palmer.

….Neil Gaiman, on stage with Damian Kulash, quoting Doctor Who….

And for those who are not in the know, Neil Gaiman wrote an episode of Doctor Who for series six.

Any argument you have, until the end of time and space, is IRRELEVANT FOREVER.

(from the 8in8 project)

• Relevant to our interests:

Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor – Do What You Want

(just series five, no six spoilers)

koloSigma1

• ALSO relevant to our interests:

9/10/11 Doctors (Invincible) laerry1

(for Eleven, just bits of series 5, no 6 spoilers)

note: There are many Doctor/OK Go vids out there - I only present the ones that I find are of good quality. =D

• violetchaos364 said:

And, indeed, how about that split second fez destroying plan taking place with mere glances between River and Amy! =D

Well, seems that Amy and River have a bit in common, eh?

Wink