In this Discussion

Lyrics for The Influence of the Blue Ray of the Sunlight and of the Blue Color of the Sky

Comments

• (This is by far the best song on the album, in my opinion. Went right into the top 3 they've ever done, and vying for #1 in my heart.)

Needing/Getting

I've been waiting for months, waiting for years

waiting for you to change

Ah there ain't much that's dumber

there ain't much that's dumber

than pinnin' your hopes on the change in another

And I, yeah I still need you

but what good's that gonna do?

Needing is one thing... and getting, getting's another

So I've been sitting around wasting my time

wondering what you've been doing

Ah it ain't real forgiving, it ain't real forgiving

sittin' here picturing someone else living

I've been hoping for months, hoping for years

hoping I might forget

Ooooh but it don't get much dumber, it don't get much dumber

than trying to forget a girl when you love her

When? Wheeeeen? Why not now? Why not me? Why not me?

When? Wheeeeen? Why not now? Why not me? Why not me?

• DJRose said:

I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe
    In your fitted raincoat and tangled winter hair - cheeks a little rosy in the February air - running through the subway to catch the Uptown train - spend the night just dancing - running through the subway to catch the Uptown train - spend the night just dancing
    Chorus: I want you, yeah I want you - I want you, yeah I want you bad - So bad I can't think straight - So bad all my bones shake - So bad I can't breathe
    That in the midnight quiet - Outside a world away - We could have just one more - And maybe you could stay - And in the light of morning for 21 days straight - there you were beside me - And in the light of morning for 21 days straight - there you are beside me
    Repeat Chorus
    So wontcha, So wontcha say yeah
    So wontcha, So wontcha give in
    So wontcha, So wontcha c'mon
    (Very Suggestive "Ahs")
    I can't breathe
    (band pauses, entire female population of the planet screams)
    I want you, yeah I want you, so bad I can't breathe
    I can't breathe.

UNDERWATER!

• beckysioux said:

UNDERWATER!

Laugh

• The Greatest Song I Ever Heard

And we saw Cat Power

singing hour after hour

of a future that would never be

And I sank to the bottom

for a summer and an autumn

trying to figure out which was me

And she pinned me down

to [Our Lady Parade?]* groove

waiting for the soul to stray [stay?]

When it quieted down

I heard the sound

And that's the greatest song I ever
    heard

Yeah, that's the greatest song I ever
    heard

Now I saw Bob Dylan gone electric

Feeling Pete Seeger

with his axe in the crowd

Maggie and the farm

never meant no harm

but my heart started beating too loud

And I caught a glimpse

of a feeling I had once

But let it slip away in the [pain?]^

And now I'm just playing

Never stop playing

'Cause that's the greatest song I ever
    heard

I ever heard, yeah

That's the greatest song I ever heard

Yeah, that's the greatest song I ever
    heard

That's the greatest song I ever heard

We solved all our problems

with bigger problems

with bigger problems

And that's the greatest song I ever
    heard

*As in the Trinity Parade

^ "in the Pink", perhaps?

I'm really kind of disappointed that there's no Nate Dogg
    reference (I originally thought I heard one on the studio version and I found it kind of awesome).

Keep in mind this is coming from your Queen of Mondegreens. Plus I read WAY too much into lyrics sometimes, which explains how my first attempt at this on Tumblr has lines relating to Kat Bjelland and Jason Mraz...Yell
  • you already improved the one you posted on tumblr, so HELL YEAH thanks Christel! :D
  • Christel rocks my world as I'm singing along to the song :D thx for the lyrics! x
  • Yay!!! This is wonderful... Thanks, Christel!
  • You guys are all assuming I have them correct! Awww!! I love your confidence! Wink
  • ChristelAdina said:

You guys are all assuming I have them correct! Awww!! I love your confidence! Wink

Christel, what you have written down is what I hear. Unless they actually post the lyrics, I think you have them right.

Also, at the top of this page, Raina posted alternate lyrics to White Knuckles. I guess I skimmed over them when she originally posted.  But, holy shit, she's right, they started out with different lyrics. Just listen:

And now we bring you back to today's lyrics:

I wonder why they changed. The first lyrics sound really harsh, whereas the ones we know now aren't so bad.

Ya know what would have been great? Having the WK demo on the Extra Nice Edition.
  • Wow, okay, so seeing those original lyrics I understand the 'maybe that's a bit too personal' response to when Damian was asked in that Huffington Post thing who it was about..

Also, who I originally assumed it was based on that response seems to be wrong...

And isntead of seeming like it's trying to be helpful the whole song seems really sort of resentful and angry now..

I kinda get why they changecd the lyrics, actually... I mean the first set seems like a lot to put out on an album that a lot of people are gonna hear.. a few shows is one thing, but...
  • The one thing that I do miss about the old WK lyrics is that they used to say "And when it's gone, whaddayah got?" to which Katy and I used to shout "PRINGLES!!" 

It's an inside joke.  Sorry.  The short version is that during the tour where they premiered that song, we were having a discussion about why it's important to have a life outside of your sig. oth. because someday that person could die and what will you have left?  At the moment of that discussion, Katy was celebrating the fact that I had bought her Pringles (because she'd been complaining about wanting them for like an hour at that point).  So it went like this.

Amy: And someday your husband will die and what will you have then?

Katy: Pringles! 

It was funny.  But you probably had to be there.
  • Haha, that is awesome. Totally made my day!

I kind of like the old lyrics, but I do love the ones I know currently. I guess I just think everything created by OK Go is pure awesomeness.
  • autumnraina said:

(so darling) push, as hard as you can

(did you) decide to run or could there still be a chance

pack up your stuff, head out West

(go get those kicks tonight) and get this shit off your chest

I always interpreted what Raina heard as "go get those kicks tonight" as "you're gonna eat those kids alive." 

And Becky, thanks for bringing this up, because I totally missed this when it was originally posted.
  • Whoa...those original WK are just...Whoa!

Does anyone else find themselves singing alternate lyrics along with the studio recording? I end up singing "wrong" to IWYSBICB, Kat, and Bye Bye Baby just because I like previous versions so much.
  • No, but I do still yell "Pringles" in the appropriate place, occasionally.  :-D
  • Hi guys, I've been away/busy a while, just thought I'd stop by and check in.  I completely forgot about posting those lyrics!  I have an update I never mentioned.  I actually asked Damian about the original lyrics and he graciously corrected a few of my incorrect guesses.  

"another round of '95" should read "November '95"

"go get those kicks tonight" should read "go eat those kids alive"

"wish there was a better way to kill myself" should read "ooooh I nearly killed myself"

"did you decide to run or" was also wrong, Damian said, but he couldn't remember the original lyrics.  He actually sings different-sounding things on two of the old version YouTube videos that I've watched, so he probably wasn't all that happy with that line in whatever versions he tried, hence the not-remembering.

Anyway, there's the corrections. Yay. :)
  • autumnraina said:

"go get those kicks tonight" should read "go eat those kids alive"

Sweet.  I totally called it.
    Raina, it's good to see you!  I hope you're doing well. :-D
  • PemiBlue said:

Whoa...those original WK are just...Whoa!

Does anyone else find themselves singing alternate lyrics along with the studio recording? I end up singing "wrong" to IWYSBICB, Kat, and Bye Bye Baby just because I like previous versions so much.

I am almost always singing the demo lyrics. Especially for BFK and Skyscrapers. And whenever While You Were Asleep shuffles on, I find myself wishing it was Breaking The Sand instead.

Now I'm curious to know what happened in November '95. I was a Junior in HS, so Damian was either a Sophomore or Junior in college. Meh.
  • Hi Rachel!  All's well, just busy.  Really enjoying the internet hiatus.  So far I only really miss YouTube and OK Go.  It's a good thing I keep checking in on the board; cool stuff keeps coming up! :)

As for demo lyrics, I almost always end up singing the old WK lyrics when listening to that song.  I like the angry, roughness of them for that song, better than I like the new lyrics.
  • beckysioux said:

ChristelAdina said:

You guys are all assuming I have them correct! Awww!! I love your confidence! Wink

Christel, what you have written down is what I hear. Unless they actually post the lyrics, I think you have them right.

Also, at the top of this page, Raina posted alternate lyrics to White Knuckles. I guess I skimmed over them when she originally posted.  But, holy shit, she's right, they started out with different lyrics. Just listen:

And now we bring you back to today's lyrics:

I wonder why they changed. The first lyrics sound really harsh, whereas the ones we know now aren't so bad.

Ya know what would have been great? Having the WK demo on the Extra Nice Edition.

SECOND THAT FOREVER

dear God why not even on the database, seriously, I'd really like that demo!!!