In this Discussion

Favorite OK Go guitar solo?

edited November -1 in OK Go
Okay, I have looked around and I don't think anyone has done this yet, so…

What is/are you favorite OK Go guitar solo(s) and why?

My favorites are WTF? and Get Over It (first one, with heavy fuzz and a lot of bending).  

The one in WTF? is extremely fast, technically perfect, and it fits the song perfectly.  It has a sound to it that is both contained and extremely open, which is hard to do. 

The one in GOI perfectly conveys the song, which is sort of difficult to do for that song, musically and lyrically.  I think the reason for that is that something about the solo sounds "different," which I think in this case is a slight rhythm change that goes perfectly with it.

Edit: I think I've figured it out.  Most of Damian's singing in the song is in triplets, while the solo is not, which works extremely well to create the sound of a time change or strange rhythm.

Comments

• The second one in the All Is Not Lost video.  It's only in the video, and I can't tell you why, but I love it.
  • I love to hear Andy play and he just KILLS it in White Knuckles.
  • BeckiWitte said:

I love to hear Andy play and he just KILLS it in White Knuckles.

Me too, but I figured it would be somewhat redundant if I said WK and WTF?, so mine was just a matter of personal preference.  However, I've noticed that Andy plays WTF? differently every few shows, basically he slows part of it down, which I don't like because he does it the regular way most of the time.  Now that I think of that, I think I sort of prefer WK.
  • White Knuckles is a highlight every time I see them *because* of Andy's guitar solo.  Totally agreed.
  • I love the guitar riffs between Damian and aross during Skyscrapers and Get Over It at live shows. And I love the guitar solos aross has in Needing/Getting, both live and on the album.
  • beckysioux said:

I love the guitar riffs between Damian and aross during Skyscrapers and Get Over It at live shows. And I love the guitar solos aross has in Needing/Getting, both live and on the album.

I had completely forgotten about the back-and-forth stuff.  I guess I don't really have a favorite overall, just one or two at any given time.
  • My favorite is White Knuckles.  Andy is amazing.

Second, I'd say either the second interlude in Unrequited Orchestra of Locomotion (the loud part) or The House Wins.
  • My favourite OK Go guitar solo is the one in White Knuckles and Wtf?. The tune of the solo is super rapid and it gives you the 'WOW' impression. And I am wow-ed by it, especially the one in White KunuckleS :D Andy is impressive <3