In this Discussion

I was on the OK Go forum a reeeaaaallllllly long time ago, and was wondering if anyone else was too?

edited November -1 in General Discussion
So this is probably a stretch, but I was on the OK Go forums about 10 years ago, when I was 13 years old. My user name was the same (sara with no h).

Something incredible happened here a long time ago. While exploring the frontier of online communities, I made friends on this forum and went behind my parents' backs to go from my hometown (in New York) to Chicago to see OK Go in concert with a ton of boardies. Jorge, the then singular moderator, let the guys know the lengths I had gone through to get there, and arranged to let us meet them backstage. It was probably the coolest thing I had ever done in my teenagehood.

Anyway, years passed, I grew up, my trajectory diverged from OK Go's online community (not to say that I don't still love them/have a soft spot for their music) and I sort of just forgot about this place. But I did go to college--I went to Brown actually, and got to see the band perform at Damian's alma mater a couple of times.

Today, a friend of mine mentioned OK Go in passing and I told him my story, reliving my rebellious teenage girlhood, and I experienced extreme nostalgia and curiosity for these message boards.

Were any of you on this forum that long ago? I recognize the moderator darbiestarpower's name, but I don't know that we ever interacted so much?

Either way, it's nice to revisit. It's been a long time.

Comments

• i'm the only old schooler left... nice to see you around again sara with no h!!!
  • sara said:

So this is probably a stretch, but I was on the OK Go forums about 10 years ago, when I was 13 years old. My user name was the same (sara with no h).

Something incredible happened here a long time ago. While exploring the frontier of online communities, I made friends on this forum and went behind my parents' backs to go from my hometown (in New York) to Chicago to see OK Go in concert with a ton of boardies. Jorge, the then singular moderator, let the guys know the lengths I had gone through to get there, and arranged to let us meet them backstage. It was probably the coolest thing I had ever done in my teenagehood.

Anyway, years passed, I grew up, my trajectory diverged from OK Go's online community (not to say that I don't still love them/have a soft spot for their music) and I sort of just forgot about this place. But I did go to college--I went to Brown actually, and got to see the band perform at Damian's alma mater a couple of times.

Today, a friend of mine mentioned OK Go in passing and I told him my story, reliving my rebellious teenage girlhood, and I experienced extreme nostalgia and curiosity for these message boards.

Were any of you on this forum that long ago? I recognize the moderator darbiestarpower's name, but I don't know that we ever interacted so much?

Wow.  What a fantastic story.
    Welcome back (though I wasn't "here" when you were, by a long shot)!
  • oh hey, look what i found sara, the vhs (ha!) jesica had sent me of that show…

• sara said:

Welcome back, even if  it's a little strange coming from me as I was not here before.

Since Of The Blue Colour Of the Sky, there have been quite a few new people joining (including me) so I would guess that there will be a lot more joining next year with the new album again.
  • Wow, that is such a cool story. I was not here back then, but it's awesome to learn things like that. The boys are pretty amazing.

Welcome back! :D