In this Discussion

Greetings From a Newbie!

edited November -1 in General Discussion
Hi all!

I'm new to the OK Go forum although I used to lurk here quite a bit, but here I am, out of the lurking shadows and into the light!

Things look like they are a little bit slow in here but maybe some new blood will liven things up!
Greetings from a big Canadian fan and I look forward to getting to know many of you! :)

EMcMom (Erin)

Comments

• Hello, and welcome!  Glad to have you on board, Erin.  :)
  • Thanks TipoDeemin!
    So, where has everybody gone? How can we liven this place up again? I know the boys are working on recording again so I assume things will get more interesting in here over the next while as we get closer to a new album release but what can we do in the meantime?
  • welcome aboard erin!..

i think most folks keep in touch thru twitter/facebook and the like, thus leaving them with nothing to say here on the boards... which is a shame, i miss the lively days...
  • Well, I've just finally decided to join Twitter and I'd love some new followers and friends to follow! Follow me and I'll follow you back!

My twitter handle is ErinMcMom  Laugh
  • Tumblr is probably another big one, there.  I kind of prefer just checking the message boards, myself, even though I have an account on each of those services.  I'll make sure I follow you on Twitter, though, Erin.  I'll be under TipoDeemin there, too.  It's a lovely catch-all account name!
  • I added you on Twitter TipoDeemin! :)
    I contacted some other people that I could tell were OKGo fans by their twitter bio's but nobody else is responding or chatting with me. Bummer. :( I hope it picks up in here soon! :)
  • I'm not terribly exciting there, but thanks for the add.  :)
  • It tends to get busy when the guys are doing stuff.  I think they are in the studio now.  By the way, how did you become a fan?
  • Hey BeckiWitte! Yes, I see that they are back in the studio now (thank-you Instagram!) so that's very exciting!

I first encountered okgo via a movie soundtrack (I've long since forgotten the movie but the song was Get Over It) I heard the song and needed to find out what it was because I was in love with it. I searched the lyrics and found out it was okgo. Not too long after that the video for A Million Ways came out and I was hooked. I've been enjoying their videos and cd's ever since, but have never seen them live (that's GOT to change!).

I can't wait for new material! I'm also searching for a copy of the 1st Secret Dakota Ring album (Do Not Leave Baggage All the Way) if you know anybody that would like to sell me theirs! Ebay has not yielded any results on this one after a long time searching! :)

I'm really just looking to find some people to chat about my okgo love with. Nobody I know in person is a fan (I have friends that like what they do, but they don't love them the way I do!) :D
  • Until you manage to find the album and get your Secret Dakota Ring fix, you should consider downloading Spotify so that you can listen to it on there (assuming you haven't already done this).  The band also regularly posts playlists of songs they're listening to on Spotify, so it's kind of a cool connection with them that way, too.  And wouldn't you know it, but they have excellent taste in music.  ;)

You could also try Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Not-Leave-Baggage-All-Way/dp/B004J8GYUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353538471&sr=8-1&keywords=secret+dakota+ring+do+not+leave+baggage ) if you're willing to pay full price.

I love your story, by the way, because I can identify with that obsessive earworm feeling.  If I hear a song I really love, I feel like I'm going nuts until I can find out what it was and who did it.  I've spent hours making friends with Google over things like that!
  • I think Erin means a physical copy of the album. There were only like 400 CDs pressed/copied, so it'll be hard to find one that someone is willing to give up.

Good luck, Erin!
  • Holy CRAP! I just checked out that Amazon link (like I have a MILLION times before) and there are copies available! One new beautiful copy is on it's way to me!!! Ahhhhhh so happy! :)
    Thanks so much TipoDeemin! I wouldn't have checked Amazon this evening if you hadn't stuck that link up! No more ebay stalking for me!

Spotify huh, I don't have that yet. Another thing to get hooked on! I've just recently gotten into twitter and instagram, what's one more distraction!?
  • Just checked it out and Spotify is not available in Canada. Possibly in the future. Oh well!
  • EMc2 said
    Holy CRAP! I just checked out that Amazon link (like I have a MILLION times before) and there are copies available! One new beautiful copy is on it's way to me!!! Ahhhhhh so happy! :)
    Thanks so much TipoDeemin! I wouldn't have checked Amazon this evening if you hadn't stuck that link up! No more ebay stalking for me!

Spotify huh, I don't have that yet. Another thing to get hooked on! I've just recently gotten into twitter and instagram, what's one more distraction!?

I hate to be a party pooper, but that isn't one of the actual CDs, if that is what you wanted. DNLBATW was released in 2004 and Serious Business hasn't repressed the album. Amazon states "CD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com" So, Amazon is copying the music onto a CD-R and charging you $7.00 to do so. It seems like it'd be easier (and cheaper) to just purchase the MP3s and then copy them to a CD yourself.

However, if this is what you wanted, I'm happy that you are finally getting it!
  • Blargggggh! I didn't notice that. Thanks for letting me know Becky, at least I know what I'm getting now. Although it sucks since I just wanted an official copy. I've already got the tracks on my ipod in heavy rotation.

Sigh. Oh well, it's ordered. As well as another copy of 180/365 since my daughter trashed mine by attempting to make it a part of her cardboard box train a while back (I appreciated her creativity, but not her choice of supplies. lol)
  • Ah, dang, sorry about that.  I just figured I'd pop over there and see if Amazon said they had copies, and the page did, but I didn't go down and read the fine print because I had no idea Amazon even did things like that with CD-Rs.  How disappointing!  I also had no idea that Spotify wasn't available in Canada.  Double bummer.  =/
  • Spam removed by moderator.
  • Hey, I'm new too!