In this Discussion

Welcome to the new OK Go Forum!

edited February 2014 in OK Go
Dear Boardies,

Welcome to the new redesigned OK Go Forum. We are hoping that it will be a great improvement on the last system, both in design and performance.

You all no doubt will have strong opinions about the new state of things, since it is ultimately you that occupy this net space. So please do let us know what you think. This is a different system, and so there will be new things to get used to. It is also a new system, so we will no doubt -- unless we are very lucky -- experience some difficulties.

Please, please let us know in this thread of bugs and other difficulties that encounter. We will do our best to respond.

The feature set on this system is also different, as you will no doubt notice. We have tried to keep things basic for now. However, it would be useful if you could describe features that you miss from the previous system. Again, we will do our best to accommodate. Time is tight, but it can't hurt to ask.

In any event, once again, WELCOME and ENJOY!

Sincerely
eThan

Comments

• Wow, this is really redesigned. Just upon looking at things, it will take a bit of time to get used to from the previous board. A few things right off the bat:

#1 Can the font be changed? Like I said above, it may just take some time to get used to, but is it possible if there are more requests to go to something different?

#2 In the last board, at the bottom of the main forum page, there was a listing of admins and mods. Is that able to be included on this board?

#3 Are we able to have private messages?

#4 On the last board, a poster with a new comment/reply had to complete a simple math equation to be able to post. Is that also on this board?

If I think of anything else (which I probably will), I'll be sure to post them here.

Thank you so much for all of your work on this, eThan!
  • Wow, yes this is quite the overhaul! Generally agree with Becky's comments. But also generally — so good so far! Also, I wandered away from the post for a little bit and the little overlay stating the time the draft was auto saved is pretty neat!
  • beckysioux and wick*design,
    thanks so much for your feedback! glad to see that you are generally enthusiastic. the system that this is running on is vastly superior to the previous one. hopefully it is also running a bit more efficiently for you guys as well?

beckysioux, regards your request:

#4, as of now, no, but we may add it. is this of concern because of spamming? we should be in touch about how to control spamming going forward. all forums suffer from spamming, but this system provide a different set of tools to combat it. you, as a moderator, should have the capacity to delete comments. can you verify that?

#3, i've just added that feature now. let me know if it is working alright.

#2, at the moment no. we shall see.

#1, we shall see, but probably not.
  • One other thing, please do update your avatar's once again. You don't need to stick with the stock pattern that the forum chooses for you. Click on your name in the side panel to go to your account profile.

eThan
  • you, as a moderator, should have the capacity to delete comments.

we do have a delete option for comments, as for spam topics though i'm not seeing a way to delete those, only close them...
  • eThan said:

beckysioux and wick*design,
    thanks so much for your feedback! glad to see that you are generally enthusiastic. the system that this is running on is vastly superior to the previous one. hopefully it is also running a bit more efficiently for you guys as well?

beckysioux, regards your request:

#4, as of now, no, but we may add it. is this of concern because of spamming? we should be in touch about how to control spamming going forward. all forums suffer from spamming, but this system provide a different set of tools to combat it. you, as a moderator, should have the capacity to delete comments. can you verify that?

#3, i've just added that feature now. let me know if it is working alright.

#2, at the moment no. we shall see.

#1, we shall see, but probably not.

#4 Yes, I believe the math was added to ward off spam. But now that I can delete a post again, this shouldn't be an issue, unless it gets really out of hand. So relieved I can delete spam.

#3 I just sent you a PM, so if you got it, it's working :o)

#2 If we can't, no worries.

#1 Cool.

#5 We used to have a signature at the bottom of our posts. Is that possible again? If it's not, I don't think anyone will be that put out, but if it's an option, I'm sure some will use it.

#6 When clicking on an older thread, we're taken to the very first post instead of the last post in the thread. Can it be set to go to the latest post?

So far this board has been much easier to navigate and when posting, it's much smoother.
  • beckysioux, i'm glad you are finding it smoother to use. that's encouraging. the request for a signature feature is duly noted. regards #6, i need to take a look.
  • you, as a moderator, should have the capacity to delete comments.

we do have a delete option for comments, as for spam topics though i'm not seeing a way to delete those, only close them...

i will see if i can add this permission...

• @darbie_starpower, check now to see if as moderator you are able to delete spam discussions...
  • @beckysioux, i've added a signature capability. :)
  • eThan said:

@darbie_starpower, check now to see if as moderator you are able to delete spam discussions...

yes we can, thanks...
  • Great. Keep the comments coming...
  • The PMs are working wonderfully! Thank you so much for setting those up for us. Would you happen to know how long a PM will remain accessible? As in, is there a time limit and will it automatically be deleted? Just curious on that front.

If I find anything else missing and/or needs to be tweaked, I will post it here.

Again, eThan, thank you so much for your work on the Boards!
  • My pleasure!
  • This forum set-up is much better than the last one. It's sort of similar to the orignal paisely one. The problem is while it's much more use friendly, it's not as warm and friendly as the paisely one. It's cold the same cold layout as the last one. But at least there's no more math!
  • Actually, I'm getting used to the cold sterile background. I'm just so happy all the best elements of the original forum are back. I'm hoping more boardies will return home here. In that vain, I'm going to go bump some old General Discussion topics that used to be so popular, in the hopes of stiring things back up again.
  • Whoa, nice! Looks good, appreciate the no math, gotta get used to this font, but good so far!
  • Found a hiccup. When you are in an old thread with several pages, you go straight to the first page. Is there a way to make it so that the first thing you see is the most recent post rather than the very first page of the thread?
  • Yeah, that would be lovely!
  • Found a hiccup. When you are in an old thread with several pages, you go straight to the first page. Is there a way to make it so that the first thing you see is the most recent post rather than the very first page of the thread?

I think that this should only happen the first time that you've visited a forum. Once you've navigated to the end of a particular discussion, it should take you to the end of the discussion the next time you visit. Let me know if this is not the way things are working...