In this Discussion

poor poor pluto

edited November -1 in General Discussion
LINK

The celestial body, long known as a planet, will now be considered a "dwarf planet," the General Assembly of the 2006 International Astronomical Union ruled in a vote Thursday in Prague, Czech Republic.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune will be defined as "classical planets."

Three other bodies had been contending for planetary status as well: Ceres, the largest-known asteroid; "Xena," the nickname for 2003 UB313; and Charon, which has been considered Pluto's moon.

Ceres and "Xena" will now share "dwarf planet" status with Pluto. Charon, it has been concluded, will be grouped with "small solar-system bodies."

The IAU said in a statement on Thursday that the definition for planet is now officially "a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (cool.gif has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape and © has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit."

"More dwarf planets are expected to be announced by the IAU in the coming months and years,"a ccording to the IAU statement. "Currently, a dozen candidate dwarf planets are listed on IAU's dwarf planet watchlist, which keeps changing as new objects are found and the physics of the existing candidates becomes better-known."

About 2,500 members of the IAU, a community of astronomers from around the world, have been meeting since late last week to debate and vote on a series of resolutions that include definitions of solar-system bodies. The IAU General Assembly is held every three years. This session, four terrestrial bodies in particular have been the focus of the debate--the most prominent being Pluto, which was discovered in 1930.

Varying proposals from IAU members included referring to these smaller terrestrial bodies in different areas of the solar system as "planetoids" and "trans-Neptunian objects." Another proposal referred to the smaller objects as "plutonian objects." Yet another proposed the idea of a hierarchy of "planets," "dwarf planets" and "small solar-system bodies," according to the IAU. Still others wanted to keep Pluto as a planet but come up with alternatives for the other three.

IAU President Ron Ekers and other members of the IAU board are expected to hold a press conference Thursday on the final outcome of all the resolution votes in Prague.

Neptune is by far my fave planet

its amazing..

as is saturn

Comments

• Siiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllly.

Just call it a "planet." Who needs all this "dwarf planet" stuff??
  • I wonder what will happen to all the science-y books containing stuff on planets i.e encyclopedias and that physics gcse textbook that I should really have handed back in July.

I bet this is because they complained exams were getting easier. Lower the exam pass rate -remove a planet.
  • How the hell does

My
    Very
    Easy
    Method
    Just
    Speeds
    Up
    Naming
    Planets

work now eh??? oh well, i'll still use it haha. I mean come on, I still call starburst opal fruits so I doubt anyone else cares either....
  • OH NO. HOW ARE KIDS GOING TO DO THOSE NIFTY DIORAMA'S NOW?!

I mean, is Pluto included in the diorama? Are all the other "dwarf planets" included in the diorama?! What about the kids that are still in school, are they to be taught that everything they once thought about Pluto is wrong?

No! I do not like change! Keep it as a freaking planet! Grade 2 Science is about to become more complicated than it should be!
  • HAHAHA! does anyone watch Quite Interesting? I remember a while ago they had a episode where they said pluto was not a real planet but just a ball of ice, and for about a week i went around telling everyone that and they thought i was an idiot. HAHA.
  • QI is the best smart show ever

<3 alan davis

yes please
  • Dude, I meant to vote Mercury...fuck this...
  • ill miss you pluto.

"your my boy pluto!"
  • I love Alan Davies!
    "well unless you had really big trousers...or a tiiiinnny little tiger."
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Aug 24 2006, 11:02 AM)
    How the hell does

My
    Very
    Easy
    Method
    Just
    Speeds
    Up
    Naming
    Planets

work now eh??? oh well, i'll still use it haha. I mean come on, I still call starburst opal fruits so I doubt anyone else cares either....

Dude, the one I learned was

My
    Very
    Educated
    Mother
    Just
    Served
    Us
    Nine
    Pizzas

I guess it could be uh... My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Nuts?
  • nay

its nothing but ice.
    i know theres no good deffinition of a planet but it should involve ground.
    not just ice.
  • ice is more livealbe then a gas planet!
  • Pluto is a satelite of the sun, therefore it's a planet.
  • haha. I don't really care if Pluto is a planet or not.
    I used to like it when I was little cause I thought it was named after the dog, haha.

as someone on NPR said when asked if they were upset, "the universe hasn't changed, our perception of the universe has."

anyways, I voted for mercury. definitely my fav.
  • fuck pluto

hehe
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Aug 26 2006, 06:48 PM)
    anyways, I voted for mercury. definitely my fav.

Me too. Mercury is just so interesting. It goes from extreme heat to extreme cold. AMAZING.
  • QUOTE (GirlInTheDark @ Aug 26 2006, 11:25 PM)
    fuck pluto
    HAHAHAHAHA laugh.gif
  • its allll about neptune baby

who else voted for the amazing one?
  • I went with Earth.

S'only one I been to.

Dammit. I wish I'd gone with Uranus.

Nobody's givin' Uranus any love??

laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Aug 27 2006, 12:59 PM)
    its allll about neptune baby
    who else voted for the amazing one?

I accidentally voted for it as it is my second favorite planet. I always forget about Mercury. DAMN.