In this Discussion

After the Shows

edited November -1 in OK Go
sorry if this wasn't worth a new topic, but I wasn't sure where else it would go.

I live in Boston, but the March show in Boston is sold out (Snow Patrol ppl filled it up before okgo.net even put it online, darn those Snow Patrol ppl). At first this was disappointing, because I've never been able to see a show since Ok Go always plays 21+ shows in Boston and this is the first I would be allowed to go to. But, luckily there's a headliner Ok Go show in Providence on Feb 1, and Providence is less than an hour away from Boston by Amtrack. So, I bought Amtrack tickets and show tickets for me and my sister.

But now I see that there's an ebay bidding for 2 tickets to the show plus passes for an autograph signing and photos. The bidding is for Sweet Relief Musician's Fund. I can't bid any higher (the bidding is already at $75) because the show and Amtrack tickets have already cost me a looot, and I'm just a college student, so well, I'm poor and just spent all the rest of my money on textbooks for the second semester.

So, does this mean that Ok Go will only sign autographs for whoever wins the ebay bidding? Or how exactly do things happen usually after the shows?

Thx very much

Comments

• QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jan 21 2007, 03:01 PM)
    So, does this mean that Ok Go will only sign autographs for whoever wins the ebay bidding? Or how exactly do things happen usually after the shows?
    I'm not sure about this show in particular, but whomever posts on the MySpace account said that they will still come out after shows. The person who wins the bidding however will get a private session.
  • Good luck to those who are in it. Don't go crazy and kidnap them or something though. blink.gif
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Jan 21 2007, 03:25 PM)
    I'm not sure about this show in particular, but whomever posts on the MySpace account said that they will still come out after shows. The person who wins the bidding however will get a private session.

hmmm, ok, thanks very much!
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Jan 21 2007, 08:27 PM)
    Good luck to those who are in it. Don't go crazy and kidnap them or something though. blink.gif

HAHAHA
    that'd be crazy! ohmy.gif
  • When I first read that, I assumed it was a scam, since OKGO comes out no matter what. They're selling themselves on ebay for extra cash? I dunno man =/
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Jan 21 2007, 07:22 PM)
    When I first read that, I assumed it was a scam, since OKGO comes out no matter what. They're selling themselves on ebay for extra cash? I dunno man =/
    They're not selling themselves for money into their pockets, it's for a charity smile.gif

"Why are OK Go selling their services this way? To support a wonderful charity, the Sweet Relief Musician's Fund, an organization that provides financial assistance to musicians of all kinds who are struggling to make ends meet while facing illness, disability, or age-related problems."
    http://www.okgo.net/news.aspx#8950

Fear not, our boys are not selling out. tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Jan 21 2007, 06:22 PM)
    When I first read that, I assumed it was a scam, since OKGO comes out no matter what. They're selling themselves on ebay for extra cash? I dunno man =/

Well, if I understood correctly by the information posted on Myspace. The charity (Sweet Relief Foundation, I believe) as stated above is a charity that takes donations and such and gives it to traveling (I assume) and hard-working bands who need a little extra cash to get by. I also believe that the cash only applies to those with health issues, their age, etc. I think there has to be something sincerely in the way of funding and basically getting by for them to allow the 'band' to receieve this money...

That's how I understood the concept of the charity to be, and thus, why OK Go is 'selling themselves' for cash. For a good 'cause. =) I also saw someone's reply to the person inquiring if OK Go isn't coming out after shows any more and he said that, yes, OK Go is still coming out after shows, this lucky person just gets a private session. *shrug*

If I didn't live so far away I'd be donating my life's savings onto those tickets. That's what desperation is.
  • Ohhhh, I had no idea that they were doing this, lol. Usually whenever I look for concert tickets on ebay they would always say "backstage passes vip" and it wouldn't be true. and they'd charge like 100 extra bucks. This is such a cute idea! *steps into the ring of bidding* smile.gif
  • What's RI? Rhode Island? That's in the United States? THAT'S A STATE? LOL
  • QUOTE (EcstaticGrandmas?! @ Jan 21 2007, 07:32 PM)
    I also saw someone's reply to the person inquiring if OK Go isn't coming out after shows any more and he said that, yes, OK Go is still coming out after shows, this lucky person just gets a private session. *shrug*
    That was me. tongue.gif Teehee.
  • Yeah, the boys will most likely be coming out after the show to pose for pics, sign stuff, the usual. It's just it's not always guaranteed that you'll get to meet all four of them, since sometimes they don't feel well, have prior engagements, happen to be starving so they flee for food, ect.

And of course, especially with Damian, there will always be a bunch of other people who are either drunk or don't know how to spell Damian correctly or pronounce Konopka in a giant mass surrounding them.

The best way to get to them is wait by the back door and get to them before everyone else does, or wait till the mass of people dies down and you get longer one-on-one time with them(but sometimes the venue security shoos you away if you are just standing around waiting, so try and look productive), though you may not get to talk to them at all if you wait too long.

And then also, if you feel like giving them things(Starbucks giftcards, food, clothing articles), package it in a bright bag/box and they'll kind of be more inclined to come and talk to you, rather than talk to the little kids asking "hey, what's your name?" Because I've found that grown men enjoy brightly wrapped gifts as much as 8 year old boys. rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Jan 21 2007, 09:09 PM)
    That was me. tongue.gif Teehee.

Then I guess we owe you thanks. =) If you hadn't of asked we wouldn't know for sure if they were coming out. I was the one who asked if I'd have to pay for air-fare to GET to Rhode Island. >.< I don't know why I asked, I should've realized that the 2 backstage passes didn't also apply to plain tickets. *shrug*

QUOTE (Kikky @ Jan 21 2007, 09:47 PM)
    Yeah, the boys will most likely be coming out after the show to pose for pics, sign stuff, the usual. It's just it's not always guaranteed that you'll get to meet all four of them, since sometimes they don't feel well, have prior engagements, happen to be starving so they flee for food, ect.

And of course, especially with Damian, there will always be a bunch of other people who are either drunk or don't know how to spell Damian correctly or pronounce Konopka in a giant mass surrounding them.

The best way to get to them is wait by the back door and get to them before everyone else does, or wait till the mass of people dies down and you get longer one-on-one time with them(but sometimes the venue security shoos you away if you are just standing around waiting, so try and look productive), though you may not get to talk to them at all if you wait too long.

And then also, if you feel like giving them things(Starbucks giftcards, food, clothing articles), package it in a bright bag/box and they'll kind of be more inclined to come and talk to you, rather than talk to the little kids asking "hey, what's your name?" Because I've found that grown men enjoy brightly wrapped gifts as much as 8 year old boys. rolleyes.gif

Excellent advice, I'll commit that to memory...

But how does one look 'busy'? I suppose you mean just talking and chatting around with all the other people. But to me that would make them shoo you off even faster, yeah? I don't know... I don't mean to question the judgement of my 'superiors', but I wouldn't know how to go about being 'busy' amongst a whole bunch of drunks who share the same ambition that you do. O.o

... So if I wrap a gift in, let's say an obnoxious neon green, I would have more of a chance of a member approaching me than if I wrapped a gift in a dark maroon? What about purposefully drawing attention to an item? What if I just waved the gift in the air like I didn't care and did that? Would this piss them off? I find this all worth considering tremendously... cool.gif
  • QUOTE (EcstaticGrandmas?! @ Jan 21 2007, 08:24 PM)
    ... So if I wrap a gift in, let's say an obnoxious neon green, I would have more of a chance of a member approaching me than if I wrapped a gift in a dark maroon?

I'm going to say yes because I always give them brownies in a bright red box with gold stripes on it and I have always been able to talk to two or more of the guys at every show I've been to. The box has never failed me.
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Jan 22 2007, 03:54 AM)
    What's RI? Rhode Island? That's in the United States? THAT'S A STATE? LOL

Um. Yes. In fact, it was even one of the 13 colonies.

(...what are our schools coming to today??)

QUOTE (ezorvera @ Jan 22 2007, 09:57 AM)
    I'm going to say yes because I always give them brownies in a bright red box with gold stripes on it and I have always been able to talk to two or more of the guys at every show I've been to. The box has never failed me.

Hee hee hee hee. That's great. I just brought my gummy candies in a big CVS bag, haha.
  • QUOTE (EcstaticGrandmas?! @ Jan 22 2007, 12:24 AM)
    But how does one look 'busy'? I suppose you mean just talking and chatting around with all the other people. But to me that would make them shoo you off even faster, yeah? I don't know... I don't mean to question the judgement of my 'superiors', but I wouldn't know how to go about being 'busy' amongst a whole bunch of drunks who share the same ambition that you do. O.o

... So if I wrap a gift in, let's say an obnoxious neon green, I would have more of a chance of a member approaching me than if I wrapped a gift in a dark maroon? What about purposefully drawing attention to an item? What if I just waved the gift in the air like I didn't care and did that? Would this piss them off? I find this all worth considering tremendously... cool.gif

Well, I've found pretending to talk on a cell phone while pretending to look for a friend you're pretending to meet up with works sometimes. And then rifling through your purse like you lost something is always a winner. And then spending 20 minutes tying your shoes is always good too, since you're on the ground out of their radar. If the venue has a shop, hiding out in it is always good. I did that at House of Blues the night Damian got arrested, since the cops thought it'd be fun to single me out while the snarkasnoops and I were yelling "Let him go!" They threatened to arrest me for no legit reason(hmm, maybe I should have let them arrest me, I'd have spent a few hours in jail with the Kulash, haha) and manhandled my arm so that I had a bruise there the next day, so I went and hid among racks of clothing(man, now I sound like a coward, haha). They eventually walked off to handle some loud drunks and I came out of hiding. As long as you don't look conspicuous or block a fire escape, I think you'll be fine.

As for gifts, any color is fine as long as it's bright. Since it'll probably be kinda dark when you see them, the brighter the present, the more the chance they'll notice it. And I don't think it'll piss them off if you wave it around, there's a chance it'll corral them more, hahah. I've brought them cookies and choco lollys in a clear plastic bag, a metal pie tin, and wrapped in individual pastel colored bags, and I found that they liked the pastel bags better, since there's a mystery as to what's inside them. It also safeguarded the cookies from breaking apart like they did in the plastic bag, so it's better all around, asthetically.

Of course, the next time I see them, I'm making individual mini cakes and a cookie, choco lolly and regular lolly bouquet and wrapping it in cellophane, since the cookies and lollies themselves are going to be the bright attention getting gimmick. And then they'll all have heart attacks from the amount of desserts I throw at them.
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Jan 22 2007, 01:10 PM)
    I did that at House of Blues the night Damian got arrested, since the cops thought it'd be fun to single me out while the snarkasnoops and I were yelling "Let him go!" They threatened to arrest me for no legit reason(hmm, maybe I should have let them arrest me, I'd have spent a few hours in jail with the Kulash, haha) and manhandled my arm so that I had a bruise there the next day, so I went and hid among racks of clothing(man, now I sound like a coward, haha).

There is absolutely no question that I would have been arrested as well, had I been there. My mouth can be just as smart as Damian's (if not moreso) and I would have been screaming profanity until they put me in the squad car with that boy. biggrin.gif

I always thought being arrested for a charge like that would be pretty cool anyway. laugh.gif
  • Hahaha yeah, I honestly gave it some thought, but I decided that having a police record would look bad on a resume, no matter how awesome spending the night in jail with a rockstar would have been.

Then there was that whole having bail thing, which I'm sure I wouldn't have enough to get out the next day, haha.

Looking back, given a second chance, I probably would say "What the hell! Screw my future!" and do it. rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Jan 21 2007, 09:54 PM)
    What's RI? Rhode Island? That's in the United States? THAT'S A STATE? LOL

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jan 22, 2007, 7:19 AM)
    Um. Yes. In fact, it was even one of the 13 colonies.

(...what are our schools coming to today??)

LOL, since I moved to Delaware, the number 1 question I get is: "Delaware? What state is that in?"

Well, either that or "hi. I'm in Delaware." ala Wayne's World.
  • Congrats to whoever won the private meeting! it went for $222.50.

Anyway, all your posts are so cool! You're sooo lucky to have met them!
    I really, really, really want an autograph.
    But it's kinda hard for me to understand, sorry- I mean, when you had your colorful gifts, did you rush to the backdoor as soon as the concert was over, so you could be the first one there? What if you did that and they actually hang around the lobby or even the stage area?...then you'd miss them
    Or did you rush out first to the lobby, see if anything was going on, and then rush out to the backdoor? But if you did that, wouldn't everyone else already be getting autographs as they make their way from the stage to the lobby?
    Or instead of rushing out, is it better to wait by the stage and see which direction they go in? And if you wait to see, would it be better to move toward the stage or be in the back so you have the best access to the door?
    Sorry, sorry, I know these are ridiculous questions, but it would be soooo cool to get an autograph and you're the experts smile.gif smile.gif

Thanks,
    Sally
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jan 23 2007, 11:42 PM)
    Congrats to whoever won the private meeting! it went for $222.50.

Anyway, all your posts are so cool! You're sooo lucky to have met them!
    I really, really, really want an autograph.
    But it's kinda hard for me to understand, sorry- I mean, when you had your colorful gifts, did you rush to the backdoor as soon as the concert was over, so you could be the first one there? What if you did that and they actually hang around the lobby or even the stage area?...then you'd miss them
    Or did you rush out first to the lobby, see if anything was going on, and then rush out to the backdoor? But if you did that, wouldn't everyone else already be getting autographs as they make their way from the stage to the lobby?
    Or instead of rushing out, is it better to wait by the stage and see which direction they go in? And if you wait to see, would it be better to move toward the stage or be in the back so you have the best access to the door?
    Sorry, sorry, I know these are ridiculous questions, but it would be soooo cool to get an autograph and you're the experts smile.gif smile.gif

Thanks,
    Sally

It depends on the venue, usually. Most of the time, they'll go outside so that the venue can start cleaning up. If there's little sidewalk room or inclimate weather, they'll hang around inside. Usually, right after their set, if they're supporting someone, a few of them go out and stand at the back of the crowd and watch the other band perform(I know Dan does that a lot). A lot of times, they go backstage and change or eat or something, but they usually come out after a while. They'll sometimes loiter around inside for a bit, usually having a drink or two and visiting with friends, but then when the show is fully over, they'll head outside.

Basically just check any entrances to VIP or backstage and merch inside, and near the buses or the front of the venue outside. You'll stumble into at least one of them, if you wait long enough.

As long as they're not in a rush, they'll sign each and every thing thrown at them and try their hardest to talk to you. It does help if you wiggle your way past the drunks, since their conversations are sometimes long and make no sense. Though I've had great luck talking and he remembering me every time, I'm finding that a lot of people have the most trouble meeting Andy. If you see more than one of them standing there, I'd say head to Andy first. Damian would be a close second, since the crowd around him is usually the largest, and he has a tendency of sometimes getting arrested, haha.

As for having presents, I prefer to keep my gifts in the car until after the show, or give it to them while I'm waiting in line a few hours before the show starts. They don't get damaged in the pit that way.