In this Discussion

the Providence show

Comments

• That was so much fun to read. It sounded like you had an amazing time.

It kind of reminds me of my last show. My parents knew where me sister and I were, but they didn't know that we were planning to miss the last train back so we could talk to the guys and then stay in a motel overnight.
  • I think you beat Angela and I in writing the longest write-up after show. But every word was well worth reading, although I was almost too lazy to read at the moment. I'm glad I changed my mind!

Andy is so delicious! I love him so much, and I must agree that he is very princlike in real life, nothing like his photos at all. I just wanted to squeeze him until his eyes popped out! I love Damian just as much, he's so sensual. I too smacked his tush as it went by my face the first time he went by, I have no shame. It really is the nicest tush I have ever put my hands upon.
  • QUOTE (Redstar7 @ Feb 4 2007, 12:30 AM)
    It really is the nicest tush I have ever put my hands upon.

hahahaha

they were all so nice and completely different than their pics. i hadnt realized tim was so short. it was so cute. and they all had cute voices, and andy chews his gum cutely. haha. and i never realized how cute dans lips were haha. they were all so amazing in person. i will tell my grandkids about meeting them.
  • Oh, I can't wait until I have kids or grandkids to tell them about how hip their mom/grandma was. Haha, when I first met Tim, I bent down in the picture with him. He's saucily short though, so it's okay.
  • o man

tabetha- it seems like you had an awesome time! and that is so cool that you got to me andy's family! that whole night just seemed too cool! when i first saw them, i couldn't even put into words like my experience. it was just too awesome! so good job on doing that haha

nostabenitsirhc- omg, that is soooo cool that you got to meet the band like that!!!! i am sooo jealous!

wait so was this the show that the people bought the tickets for on the ebay auction? and they just didn't show up...?
  • QUOTE (porifera @ Feb 4 2007, 01:00 AM)
    wait so was this the show that the people bought the tickets for on the ebay auction? and they just didn't show up...?

Yeah, this was that show- so it's puzzling that the people with VIP passes didn't show up. Maybe they came at the end instead of the beginning, or maybe they were just good people who wanted to donate...smile.gif
  • QUOTE (porifera @ Feb 4 2007, 01:00 AM)
    nostabenitsirhc- omg, that is soooo cool that you got to meet the band like that!!!! i am sooo jealous!

haha thanks :] i cant believe it. i still dont. i hope other ok go fans can be as lucky as me!

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 4 2007, 12:32 PM)
    Yeah, this was that show- so it's puzzling that the people with VIP passes didn't show up. Maybe they came at the end instead of the beginning, or maybe they were just good people who wanted to donate...smile.gif

i know i thought it was odd. if i had a chance to meet them i would be there! but maybe they had car trouble or something. i dont know if those were the poeple who didnt show up, but someone apparently didnt. i feel bad for those who spent a whole bunch of money to meet them and here i got in off the street, but im really happy that whoever didnt show didnt. i owe them a BIG hug
  • WOW! im glad u had such a wonderful time. it seemed like so much fun. ur so lucky, and u know what, the pictures aren't even that important.

those girls that got in r LUCKY! the first time i went to one of their concerts I waited for 5 hours. I was there at 3 when the concert started at 8 and they didn't let my brother and i in sad.gif. we waved and dan when he came out to smoke, i think, but that was it. sad.gif

well, anyways. that was awesome and i hope u get to see them again because they're just as amazing.
  • well the reason they let us in was cuz people didnt show. good lcuk getting in next time!!
  • It sounded like a very exciting night! I love all the small details; it really builds up the excitement. Your presents sounded very great and very nicely wrapped. Our present was in a gift bag that had gotten torn so to salvage it we grabbed tape from I think from one of the advertising posters and fixed it. That is so awesome that you met the Ross family. They sound very awesome and friendly. I hope you don't stay in trouble for long.
  • Oh my gosh Tabetha. I'm so glad you had such a great time. biggrin.gif That was so fun to read. I hope I have stories to share like that after the concert I go to in March.
  • Lupo's concert review from The Good 5¢ Cigar (the Student Newspaper at The University of Rhode Island).

Opening with "Television, Television," a song from Oh No, the audience was revved up and excited for what was in store. Minor inconsistency as Tabetha said it was "The House Always Wins" and I tend to believe her, but apart from that, it was a good review. Printing the full text here since the site is fickle and sometimes requires registration and logging in.

http://media.www.ramcigar.com/media/storag...gepublisher.com

Concert Review: OK Go leaves Lupo's crowd begging for more
    Jeremy Carmona
    02/6/07 - After driving around the intimidating city of Providence, trying ever so hard to find a parking spot, I was waiting in line to see OK Go at Lupos. After a short snafu with the tickets (I'm not Jerry Carmona), I finally got in to see the show.

Apollo Sunshine, the opener, was comprised of a three-piece band: drummer, bassist and singer / guitarist. Flourished with flowered ties, crinkled shirts and one receding hairline, I was weary that this band lacked illumination. Another lesson learned - Don't judge a book by its cover.

Ferocity filled the former nightclub as soon as the first chord was struck. Dubbed as the American version of The Vines, Apollo Sunshine's performance was a spectacular display of synthesizers and cowbell.

They entranced the audience with their distinctive and eclectic sound, by experimenting with melodic pop and punk and rock. Sunshine's live performance was one of the best I've ever seen, due to the strong energy of the band and the choreographed light show that accompanied them.

After their six-song set and telling the audience that they forgot to bring CDs, OK Go was scheduled next to perform. The overwhelming feeling of awe that I had was immediately tainted with annoyance as a group of immature high school girls made an attempt to mosh, resulting in my shoulder being hit.

Since I was in the mindset of Beyonce, I merely took two steps to the left and hoped that those kids got the hint. They stopped the moshing, and now OK Go was ready to perform.

The lights cut off, followed shortly by the shadows of four figures. Moments later the screen that was once blank was garbed in a tropical wallpaper, switching different patterns every few seconds. The house lights came on and the music came alive.

Opening with "Television, Television," a song from Oh No, the audience was revved up and excited for what was in store.

After the song concluded and the teeny-boppers ceased their screeching, lead singer Damian Kulash, who looked so rock star-ish with his bouquet-covered tie, told us that you had to go to school for a very long time in order to perform just like them.

The band then performed "Don't Ask Me," a song from its self-entitled album. Throughout the night the band varied its songs from different albums, which was something good for older fans.

OK Go also provided commentary after each song, and the band was able to incorporate theatrics and disappearing acts.

During an acoustic set, the audience was advised to "part like the sea" as the singer ran through the crowd, meeting his fellow band members at the bar as they performed.

When "Here It Goes Again," the song that makes people think of choreographed dancing on treadmills played, the performance was lackluster, due to the missing machines.

As the concert came to a close, the tour workers started putting away instruments and on the screen pops up the band's backyard. The audience gawked with confusion. What was bound to happen next? Every imaginable scenario popped into my mind, but none seemed to be reasonable.

"A Million Ways" flooded the speakers and the magic began anew with choreographed dancing. After the six-minute dance show, the band was off and left the stage. The crowd wanted more and the cheering began. Chants of "One more song!" filled the venue, in hopes that the band would fill the void.

"We'll play a song for you," a voice from backstage yelled, and soon our beloved musical entertainers were back to satisfy our addiction.

Overdosing us with two encores, OK Go succeeded in putting on a great performance. Energetic, charismatic and making the audience a democracy by letting them pick songs, OK Go's entire show didn't miss a beat.

So here's what I learned from this concert - Dancing with friends produces good results, and ties are a must when it comes to being a rock star.
  • thx, Angela and Claret. And Claret, when you go in March, you have to give all the details too! smile.gif

ihave7starts-- cool! thx, ihave7stars!
    actually, I read somewhere that they usually start with "The House Always Wins" and this was no exception. And I'm sure "Television, Television" came afterward cuz I remember my surprise that they were playing it, since it's not one I've seen performed a lot on youtube and stuff. Maybe Jackie or nostabenitsirhc could confirm though.

the only thing I didn't like about this article was that they said HIGA was "lackluster" without the treadmills. It was SO NOT LACKLUSTER! It was awesome!
  • i dont believe they started with television, television. i could see andys set list and i remember seeing it listed as 'tv' and i dont think it was first. and a few other things i read in that thing didnt seem to be accurate, but i could just have some facts mixed up. i emailed ok go's site, which form what i understand means milosh (is that true??) for a list of the songs in order cuz with all of the excitement ive forgotten. if i get a reply ill let you guys know
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 6 2007, 05:06 PM)
    thx, Angela and Claret. And Claret, when you go in March, you have to give all the details too! smile.gif

ihave7starts-- cool! thx, ihave7stars!
    actually, I read somewhere that they usually start with "The House Always Wins" and this was no exception. And I'm sure "Television, Television" came afterward cuz I remember my surprise that they were playing it, since it's not one I've seen performed a lot on youtube and stuff. Maybe Jackie or nostabenitsirhc could confirm though.

the only thing I didn't like about this article was that they said HIGA was "lackluster" without the treadmills. It was SO NOT LACKLUSTER! It was awesome!

our gal is right...."house" was first...the reviewer was off on a few things....the encores came first then the dance as well...maybe he only wanted to see the youtube vids live on stage and anything less was "lackluster"...what a putz. this was the best i've seen them, and loved the venue, must've been a vaudville theatre in it's day...damned fine acoustics...and sorry tabetha, actually pretty cool security...only problem i had is that the heat wasn't turned on...but hey, it's okgo's first "outdoor" gig under their belts and it's only february!

j

p.s. and hey! i'm finally not a newbie anymore....took me fucking long enough!
  • it was deff not lackluster or whatever. i mean i love their video for HIGA, but they can only be on treadmills so mcuh. i love them with or without them. i would kinda rather not see them on them. they work hard enough as it is. besides, what would they do? carry them out in the middle of the show?
    and it was very cold in there. but i didnt even care, id rather it be cold that hot.
    it was an amazing show!!
  • Sorry my review is so belated! I haven't had a minute to myself since this show because of school and all that jazz,so I certainly haven't had the chance to write up a proper OK Go show review just yet.
    After reading Tabetha's review I realized that I could skip a lot of the details,thankfully.Thanks for such an in-depth re-cap of the night!
    Well,here it is ---
    After arriving at the venue later than I wanted to (around 7,I think.) I realized that the line before a show was WAY longer than I had remembered it being last time OKGo played in Providence,but it wasn't awful.However,thanks to a few lovely friends of mine who had arrived earlier,I was able to catch a spot in line,which I was much thankful for.I mean,this was my eighth OK Go show (how ridiculous! But the boys are amazing,so it's clearly not my fault that I feel compelled to see them everytime they're in the area.) and I wanted to make sure I had a nice view of the stage and things of that sort. I have to say,no offense to anyone,but the crowd seemed a lot younger this time around,which isn't unnecessarily bad,but I think some of the over the top pushing/etc. could be credited to that. Heck,I'm only 15,so I'm the last one who should judge,but I am pretty decent when it comes to being respectful and mature,but that doesn't matter.
    Well,the doors finally open around 7:55 or something like that and,just like Tabetha said,the crowd made a mad dash for the front.I actually ended up front row center right between those two boxes with my friend,which was a great extra bonus.
    Before Apollo Sunshine entered the stage,I have to say,I was a little disgusted by some of the comments I was hearing in the crowd about them.How "Who cares? Opening acts suck,nobody cares about them." "UGH! When are they going to get off stage?!",things of that sort.I mean,I understand that mostly everyone there is at the show for the main act,but give the openers a little credit,especially since they put on such an energetic set! I guess I'm a little biased,I'm an Apollo Sunshine fan myself,but I have to say,this was honestly one of the best performances I've seen of theirs,and after five shows,I guess that says something.Personally,I thought their set was electric! All three of them were so spot on and tried their hardest to get the crowd involved in the music,which I enjoyed a whole bunch.Little side note worth mentioning? I could totally see Damian/Andy/Tim on the sides of the stage singing/dancing/clapping along to Apollo Sunshine's set,it was adorable.There was this one point during one of the last songs,where everyone started clapping to the drum beat,and I could see Damian peeking out of the right side of the backstage,clapping with his hands above his head.It was one of those moments that makes you realize that they're just everyday guys who enjoy live music as much as the next person.
    After some more waiting,talking,and peeking at setlists,the boys entered the stage with The House Wins,though half the crowd didn't even know the lyrics,unfortunately. That quickly changed by the time the second and third songs were finished,and before I knew in the entirety of the venue were dancing like no tomorrow,almost to the point of disgust,just because the poor kids behind me (and,now that I think about it,myself included) were getting squished into a messy pulp near the front of the stage,but I guess that's to be expected now.The energy was fantastic,though.I love how enthusiastic all of them were that night,even though Damian insisted that "Tim is high out of his MIND right now,and even though it isn't a good influence,it's what rockstar's do.",heh.tongue.gif
    Even though the whole show was amazing,I have to say,simply because I'm bizarre I motioned to Dan that I had a painting for him/the rest of the guys,and he told me to wait until later in the show,so I did.Anyway,right before they do the AMW dance he comes over and says hi (my assumption is he remembered me from the boston show where I interviewed him in November since he said "hey,it's great to see you again!" or something along those lines.),takes the painting,and props it against his bass drum for everyone to see. smile.gif
    I thought it was a nice gesture,even if the painting isn't as perfect as I would have liked it to have been since I had made it,start to finish,a half hour before I left the house.
    Overall,a fantastic,fantastic time.
    After the show,I was lucky enough to talk to the guys,and they were as great as ever.Unfortunately they were kind of in a rush because of catching a plane to Europe or something like that,or so said Bob (their manager,whose name I really hope I got right.),which was absolutely fine since,as always,they were all extremely kind and courteous-took pictures,yada yada yada. The only one I missed that night was Andy,though I had the chance to meet him if I really wanted to.However,he was talking to his family,and since I've already met him so many times,I thought it'd be best if I let him just enjoy the time he has with his family and not interrupt. Tim seemed to remember me as well,which was really neat.I guess since I bring the same silver purse to nearly every show I attend and have them sign it repeatedly,interview them backstage,and knit them scarves,my face becomes a little recognizable. tongue.gif Ironically,I forgot to ask tim to sign it,but since he's already signed it something like four times already,I'm not too worried about it. I did get a picture,though. Damian (as always) was a little chatty (much to my delight) and we talked about London, getting A+'s on film projects of ours (his referring to the new DWYW video),and that crazy animal print shirt of his.We posed for pictures,he signed my bag (for the sixth time,oh dear..) in which he indicated that it was the "1st time on the side",and soon after he had to leave.
    Icing on the cake?Milosh was there! I only had the chance to briefly say hi and such,but it was nice seeing him there as well.
    And just as soon as it began,the day ended (at 10 minutes to 1AM,mind you.)and I find myself being driven home by my parents along side the cars of Apollo Sunshine and whoever was driving Damian home.Waves were passed,and minutes later he was out of sight due to an ugly fork in the road,one leading towards Providence,and the other towards New York.(Naturally,I was heading towards providence and damian towards new york.)

Overall,a fantastic,fantastic night.Wouldn't change it for the world.

pictures(in which I look terrible in,but after 6 hours of visual arts based learning and no time to get ready,it's expected. A friend I made at the show,Kara,is also in the photos with Damian and Tim.Many thanks for taking the photos with your camera! I can't believe my camera battery died on me like that at the beginning of the show.)
    Tim!
    Damian!

Ooph,sorry for the lengthiness! I'm quite the rambler.
  • QUOTE (elleviesmusique @ Feb 7 2007, 07:53 PM)
    [1]I actually ended up front row center right between those two boxes with my friend,which was a great extra bonus.

[2]I guess I'm a little biased,I'm an Apollo Sunshine fan myself,but I have to say,this was honestly one of the best performances I've seen of theirs,and after five shows,I guess that says something.Personally,I thought their set was electric! All three of them were so spot on and tried their hardest to get the crowd involved in the music,which I enjoyed a whole bunch.

[3]Little side note worth mentioning? I could totally see Damian/Andy/Tim on the sides of the stage singing/dancing/clapping along to Apollo Sunshine's set,it was adorable.There was this one point during one of the last songs,where everyone started clapping to the drum beat,and I could see Damian peeking out of the right side of the backstage,clapping with his hands above his head.It was one of those moments that makes you realize that they're just everyday guys who enjoy live music as much as the next person.

[4]After some more waiting,talking,and peeking at setlists,the boys entered the stage with The House Wins,though half the crowd didn't even know the lyrics,unfortunately.

[5]That quickly changed by the time the second and third songs were finished,and before I knew in the entirety of the venue were dancing like no tomorrow,almost to the point of disgust,just because the poor kids behind me (and,now that I think about it,myself included) were getting squished into a messy pulp near the front of the stage,but I guess that's to be expected now.

[6]The energy was fantastic,though.I love how enthusiastic all of them were that night,even though Damian insisted that "Tim is high out of his MIND right now,and even though it isn't a good influence,it's what rockstar's do."

[7]Even though the whole show was amazing,I have to say,simply because I'm bizarre I motioned to Dan that I had a painting for him/the rest of the guys,and he told me to wait until later in the show,so I did.Anyway,right before they do the AMW dance he comes over and says hi (my assumption is he remembered me from the boston show where I interviewed him in November since he said "hey,it's great to see you again!" or something along those lines.),takes the painting,and props it against his bass drum for everyone to see. smile.gif
    I thought it was a nice gesture,even if the painting isn't as perfect as I would have liked it to have been since I had made it,start to finish,a half hour before I left the house.

[8]I guess since I bring the same silver purse to nearly every show I attend and have them sign it repeatedly,interview them backstage,and knit them scarves,my face becomes a little recognizable.

[9]Icing on the cake?Milosh was there! I only had the chance to briefly say hi and such,but it was nice seeing him there as well.

so a few things i wanna say about the parts i quoted, that i numbered just to make this easier :]
    oh and im pretty sure i know who you were...
    1) would you call that the center? i think the box to the right of you was more the center..? but i could be wrong. i was next on the right of the block/box to your right
    2)i like apollo sunshine. i didnt know any of their music until that show, and i enjoyed it. didnt you put a sign or something up on stage before the show started? or someone next to you possibly. what was it?
    3)tim was on the other side bobbing his head and clapping :]]]
    4)yea not that many people knew the lyrics :[
    5)for a while i had some girls chin in my back, and my friend who was right behind me was getting squished like crazy. i didnt have it that bad, but she did. it got pretty crazy. and since it was my first concert, i didnt know what to expect, but i defiantly didnt expect that.
    6)thanks! i wasnt sure exactly what he said. do you really think he was high?
    7)i saw it!! it was really good! actually i think have a blurry picture of dan grabbing it from you. haha and in the background andy looks kinda funny.
    8)i saw that purse!! ahh i love it!! thats a great way for them to remember you. you are a genious.
    9)what does milosh look like? was he the guy with curly hair? kind of a fro?

also, did you get to meet apollo sunshine? i met two of them. i didnt get to meet sam, but my friend got his guitar pick. he actually handed it to her :]]]

(sorry this was so long)
  • I'm so jealous of you all! You get to experience all this cool stuff! Well, the least I could say is that I hope you can experience more. smile.gif