In this Discussion

valentines day

Comments

• happy valentines day! althouygh this day is quite depresing for those who's love life is zero to not existing at all! haha ahh, i still never fail to give our love heart lollies that say stuff liek kiss me.. some are rather strange stating things like 'fax me'? haha.. yet i get no gifts or surprises, each year i get cut down once again. sad.gif but who knows aye? next year might eb a lucky one? (what am i rammbling about, valentines day IS DEPRESSING!)
  • Happy valentine's day oObuttonsOo!! Don't feel sad!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 13 2007, 05:42 PM)

Happy V-Day!

LOVE OTTERS!
  • hahahhah that otter is intense!

i hope yall all have a great day.

i was looking for this song i heard on the radio to post. i think it was a spoof on Arrowsmiths "walk this way"... but it was called "I hate this day"... to bad i cant find it... it was quite ammusing
  • So I have to say, I really don't get people who are all "OMG VALENTINE'S DAY SUCKS!!!" and complain about it all the time. I really don't. In fact, I probably wouldn't have realised that today was Valentine's Day had it not been for everyone on my LJ flist going on about it sucking so much.

I think it's just silly, because going off about how much you hate Valentine's basically tattoos "BITTER" on your forehead. Honestly, think about it- you may say it's silly now and that you'll never like it, but if you were actually in a relationship, wouldn't you probably celebrate it anyway? You probably don't hate the holiday itself; you're complaining about the fact that you don't have anyone to be with.

And then there are those who will go on about how it's such a Hallmark holiday. Okay, yeah, it sort of is, and all the flowers and hearts and what-not is rather cheesy. But come on, we have holidays for EVERYTHING nowadays. I'm 99% sure that there's a National Jelly Bean Day. If there's a National Jelly Bean Day, why not a day to celebrate love, in all its shapes and forms? The only difference is that Hallmark probably makes more money off of Valentine's than it does Jelly Bean Day.

I mean, look at Mother's Day! Nobody complains about Mother's Day being a Hallmark holiday! And yet, same idea. You shouldn't need a single day in the year to stop and appreciate your mother, just like if you're in love, you shouldn't need a single day to stop and celebrate that. We just choose to have a particular day during the year to do so, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

So to those of you who are complaining about today: get over it and cut your kvetching. You're not the sole single person today, and you know what? There's nothing wrong with that, just as much as there's nothing wrong with being a couple and celebrating Valentine's Day. No, it's not fun feeling like everyone else is in love and you aren't, but you know what? Everyone else will be in love tomorrow, too; so why take out all your angst on today?

That being said, I wish I'd at least gotten some flowers or something. sad.gif

PS: Valentine's Day is the holiday. V-Day, however, is celebrated on Valentine's Day, but it is a movement to stop violence against women, and it's rather important. You can find out more at this website (which has the word "vagina" plastered on it in big letters, haha).

Wanted to point that out. Yeah yeah, I know, people have probably been shortening "Valentine's Day" to "V-Day" for ages before this movement, but it's pretty important to me, so it irrationally bothers me when people talk about "V-Day" and don't mean this.
  • 1 it really is a hallmark holliday
    2 ive always said im bitter about it unless i did actully have someone
    3 noone likes jelly beans
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 14 2007, 10:51 AM)
    3 noone likes jelly beans

lies!.. i love me some jelly bellys... perhaps i'll ask them to be my valentine... they can fill my stomach with love...
  • 1) The roots of Valentine's Day go back to the Middle Ages. People were sending Valentine's cards to each other in 19th century. Just because now a majority of cards and such a mass-produced, that makes it a horrible holiday? What the fuck about Christmas? How come nobody complains about Christmas being such a mass-market holiday, when in reality, that's really what it is now, even more so than Valentine's Day?

2) You and apparently everyone else I know.

3) Plenty of people like jelly beans, you just don't have any taste in candy.
  • I absolutely agree with everything Katy said. People need to stop thinking that hating Valentines day makes them sound cool.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Feb 14 2007, 11:35 AM)
    if you were actually in a relationship, wouldn't you probably celebrate it anyway?

Nope! smile.gif I was in relationships for the past five years and I still stood by the fact Valentine's is a craptastic holiday. It was always along the lines of:

"Rose, candies, card? Yea, thanks (put in pile with rest of holiday stuff)."
    "If you REALLY want to impress me, fill up my car with gas."
    "You want to go out to dinner? That's great. I'll be here when you get back."

It was mostly about not wanting to see everyone in the world's PDA, but also it was about how serious everyone took it. Proposing and declaring their love one day out of the year. You and everyone else. Want to be impressive? Propose one week after, when she doesn't expect it. I am positive my eyerolling manner about V-day began with my Mom, dressing me in hearts from head to toe when I was young. Had I been able to talk, I am sure I would have requested black instead. laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Feb 14 2007, 05:02 PM)
    lies!.. i love me some jelly bellys... perhaps i'll ask them to be my valentine... they can fill my stomach with love...

(no one will get this joke sadly)

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Feb 14 2007, 05:19 PM)
    1) The roots of Valentine's Day go back to the Middle Ages. People were sending Valentine's cards to each other in 19th century. Just because now a majority of cards and such a mass-produced, that makes it a horrible holiday? What the fuck about Christmas? How come nobody complains about Christmas being such a mass-market holiday, when in reality, that's really what it is now, even more so than Valentine's Day?

2) You and apparently everyone else I know.

3) Plenty of people like jelly beans, you just don't have any taste in candy.

i am aware of the roots of vanlentines, and everyone i know complains about crimbo being a clusterfuck of a holiday and is so very far away from celebrating the birth of chirst..

QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 14 2007, 05:40 PM)
    I absolutely agree with everything Katy said. People need to stop thinking that hating Valentines day makes them sound cool.

i dont need that to make me sound cool, im already as cold as ice =p

QUOTE (toiletdog @ Feb 14 2007, 06:06 PM)
    Nope! smile.gif I was in relationships for the past five years and I still stood by the fact Valentine's is a craptastic holiday. It was always along the lines of:

"Rose, candies, card? Yea, thanks (put in pile with rest of holiday stuff)."
    "You want to go out to dinner? That's great. I'll be here when you get back."

It was mostly about not wanting to see everyone in the world's PDA, but also it was about how serious everyone took it. Proposing and declaring their love one day out of the year. You and everyone else. Want to be impressive? Propose one week after, when she doesn't expect it. I am positive my eyerolling manner about V-day began with my Mom, dressing me in hearts from head to toe when I was young. Had I been able to talk, I am sure I would have requested black instead. laugh.gif

hearts from head to toe? blimy
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Feb 14 2007, 12:19 PM)
    1) The roots of Valentine's Day go back to the Middle Ages. People were sending Valentine's cards to each other in 19th century. Just because now a majority of cards and such a mass-produced, that makes it a horrible holiday? What the fuck about Christmas? How come nobody complains about Christmas being such a mass-market holiday, when in reality, that's really what it is now, even more so than Valentine's Day?

Ahh, because if you complain about Christmas people bite your head off and call you a Scrooge and/or Anti-Christian and/or Anti-American. :-D Personally I can't stand Christmas but I'm not allowed to feel that way. I have to put up with 3 months of red and green everywhere and inescapable Christmas music because I'm part of a group that doesn't matter. :-) Really, it's all about numbers. If there were more people in the US that Didn't celebrate Christmas it would be okay to complain about it.

But I love the song. I've had it stuck in my head intermittently all day and I love Valentine's Day, so go fig.
  • QUOTE (toiletdog @ Feb 14 2007, 07:06 PM)

Heeee, awesome. Agreed.

I know that there are some rational-minded people, you included, who wouldn't celebrate it either way. And I agree- something more spontaneous is definitely more romantic. I'm actually for the idea of everyone kind of doing their own special day in the year, instead of all on February 14th.

I was just making a general anti-angst post. smile.gif
  • I guess I just don't understand why everyone resents it so much. Nobody's forcing you to participate or engage in celebrating it in any way, so why take everything so seriously and bitch when some people are just fine with it and actually enjoy doing things for each other. I mean, even if it's something like your mom sending you chocolates or a friend buying you lunch. I'm not defending it because I'm madly in love or anything (so not), but I take it as lightly as any other holiday.

indie rock valentines are the best...
  • Because I love Ze Frank:
    http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2007/02/021407.html

P.S. those indierockcards are amazing.
  • If I get free stuff then a random stupid holiday sounds good to me. wink.gif

Besides, c-c-c-cinnamon hearts (sorry... that was lame) are tasty.
  • Well no, you're not forced to take part in V-day, but I at least am forced to see everyone else smooching and whatnot all over the place, ew, I do not want to see that. I am forced to come up with some sort of answer to questions like "why don't you have a boyfriend yet?" and "why don't you have a Valentine?" and despite my efforts not to sound totally resentful when I answer them, I don't always achieve that. So... yeah.
  • i like candy
  • I got a Mamma package full of candy and warm socks and it made my day. My friends and I dug in and now I can stop chattering. I love Mamma presents.

I just like how warm everyone is. You don't have to be in a relationship to appreciate loving someone else.

There are a bunch of neighborhood kids who hang out in the Metro near where I live. They usually all congregate and mull around. Today was no different expect for the fact that some had flowers and stuffed animals and all were passing around candy. It just felt warmer.

Am I a little upset that my boyfriend doesn't celebrate Valentines Day? Maybe, but not for the typical "OH GOD I WANT A PRESENT" reason. I know he loves me and cares about me and I don't need gifts to know that, I just think the whole thing is so cute and ridiculous that to not acknowledge it seems to be a mild annoyance. I love the stupid Hallmark e-cards and those candy conversation hearts.

But really, I'll sit around with my friends and eat them and talk about poop and watch Sex and the City, so really, it's just a great excuse to eat too much sugar and be prosaic and lighthearted.

Not that this makes any sense because I AM ON SO MUCH SUGAR, but... yeah.

My two cents